U2 ULtra problems solved!

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Problem solved!

Maybe Sure Fire can take a lesson from Sears. Sears sells good but not excellent tools that are warranted for life, just like The U2. That way, local Sure Fire dealers can just give you another one, and throw the bad one in a bin full of bad U2s like when you take a broken socket wrench back to Sears -no questions asked!

Or maybe they can just lease the U2. More of us could afford one with low monthly payments, and we wouldn't be as disappointed if it didn't work right the first time. We could upgrade if and when they put in a better reflector, or better binned emitter, or better tailcap switch, or an easier-to-use metal power ring.

Or maybe they could give away a free U2 Ultra with a 2-year contract and charge for lumen/minutes. "High" setting would use minutes faster than on "low" so you could control how much you pay by only using it as bright as you need to. They could actually do this by making the light rechargable using a USB cable. You would have to log on to their website to charge your flashlight, and it would upload your "minutes" then. Maybe they could give us free nights and weekends to sweeten the deal. Or your lumens are free whenever you shine the light at your family and friends. You can use the momentary-on switch to instant message your friends in morse code too.

How many blondes does it take to turn a U2 on? (Punchline deleted)

There's always a bit of truth in good comedy.
Bernie

Bernie

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if local dealers would swap out for you, but if you had a local SF dealer, you could see if they would swap out and send it back for you. That'd be nice.

ANW

Newly Enlightened
I take it your no huge fan of Surefire products? :awman: I enjoy reading what you have to say and agree on many points, but I still like them, just wish their price were lower that's all. :)

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I'ts mostly about the humor, not the light. I'm simply going for laughs while poking fun at a light that deserves to have fun poked at it.
I actually started this thread about another light, but found that it fit the U2 better. I have a great deal of respect for SureFire. I believe that their entire line, taken as a whole is the best available. I give SureFire credit with elevating the quality of the entire industry. I don't buy them often becuase their prices include a lot of "extra quality" that I don't need, and can't justify paying for.

The reason I chose to pick on the U2 is:

1. It is a high-profile light. It is discussed everywhere on this forum because of its promise, and it's shortcomings. it is controversial. Controversy makes good comedy.
2. It is very high-priced. That makes it easier to make fun of when it doesn't work. These jokes wouldn't work with a MiniMag, would they.
3. And yes, SureFire does deserve a jab for continuing to sell this very expensive light before they fix the design/manufacturing problems. I admit that I slightly resent them for it.

My comments in other threads are out of frustration at people's loyalty to this light only because it is a SureFire. As I stated in other threads, If the U2 was sold by a less reputable company for $270, and had the same problems, it would be universally disrespected. A poll on this site gives it a 49% satisfaction rating. Yet people keep buying it despite being assured that they are unlikely to get a good one on the first try. I'm baffled.

Once I started in with the cell phone anology, I just had to post the thread. I really am not trying to offend anyone. I appologize if it was taken that way.

Bernie

P.S. I had all day to think about it, and the cell phone model could actually work. The technology is actually simple. Lumen minutes? I'm still laughing.

Last edited: