GPS Satellite(s) down?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was checking out a new installation on my Pocket PC, and wanted to make sure that everything was working OK...

And my GPS on it is showing about a half mile error. And the best I can get is 2D fix, even out in the open... and with this GPS I usually get a 3-D fix even inside.

At first, I thought that it might be from transferring all my PPC programs to a new memory card and I somehow glitched the mapping software on it, but trying it out on my laptop setup it shows it off in the same place.

And on both devices, logging the GPS position (sitting still) shows it wavering all over the place every couple of seconds by about + - 500ft.

So, If you other GPS owners in the US have a minute, can you get out your units and see if you are experiencing any errors? Thanks!

Mine shows me to be about 1/2 mile west of my actual position. It was working perfectly last time I used it only 2-3 days ago, and it has been sitting safely in a drawer since then, so it shouldn't have been damaged..

Or maybe the Govt. is jinxing the GPSs for security purposes or a test or something.?????

PS, can you believe that I bought a new 2Gig SD memory card for $49.00!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211029

They got one gig ones for $27.00 too.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
heh, I was JUST NOW testing out my new Gamin 60csX :D:D:D

Sats up working Perfectly for me,

I am in the BASEMENT of my house, reading 22 ft accuracy. :devil:

~John

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, Interesting.

It is working pretty well now, I'm exactly where I am ;) and only jumping around about 5-10 ft at a time. ;) . Get an intermittant 3-D fix.... Have to go back outside and see if it locks on better.

Wonder if 'they' can program the satellites to mess fixes up just in certain areas? I'm pretty close to White Sands Missile range, so I can see why they would want to be able to screw up GPSs in that area upon occasion.

If they have that much control on a selective basis, maybe they were just testing it, or there was something real going on.

Oh Well...

Thanks to all those that participated in this little exercise . :thanks:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Funny, I just stepped out front with a Garmin E-map. It's normally pretty good (a 12 channel unit). It took 4 or 5 minutes to aquire the sats, and even though it had 4 good locks with strong signals (I was standing on the porch to stay out of the rain so it only saw 1/4 of the sky) it indicated 2d and 95ft accuracy. That's not quite normal.

SF Bay Area, Ca, 8:30 PM.

Wonder if something is up?

Daniel

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outside I get a solid and fairly accurate 3-D lock now, only about 15 ft off (usually this setup is a little more accurate than that, surprisingly, for a really inexpensive Compact Flash GPS)...

Turn on 'sky view' and stand in the same spot, in the clear, and the 'satellites' are blinking like Christmas tree lights set on random blinks. I'm in the footprint of 10 of them, have up to seven locked on at any given moment, but a few seconds later, only three, and occasionally two are 'lit up', then a few seconds later, five, six or seven are on. #16 & #23 are the only satellites staying on constantly.

Satellite #3 is the only one I haven't connected with, but it is right on the edge of my footprint.

(sorry if my terminology isn't quite right, I'm not QUITE a GPS geek, so I have to make up words as I go. ;)
---------------------------------------------------
Oh, Thanks Jumpmaster for that Tycho link... I thought there was something like that out there, but I couldn't remember where it was.

Funny thing is, THAT page is down:
"The server at tycho.usno.navy.mil is taking too long to respond."

I got the main entry page for a moment, but it is down now too.

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
heh, I was JUST NOW testing out my new Gamin 60csX :D:D:D

Sats up working Perfectly for me,

I am in the BASEMENT of my house, reading 22 ft accuracy. :devil:

~John

These SIRF new units ROCK!

please make us more envy, what else you can do that "old" gps can't?

Pablo

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron said:
Mine shows me to be about 1/2 mile west of my actual position. It was working perfectly last time I used it only 2-3 days ago, and it has been sitting safely in a drawer since then, so it shouldn't have been damaged.

Experience any earthquakes lately? :grin2:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no earthquakes. The nearest active rift or fault line is a hundred miles away. It tends to have nearly continuous microquakes, but the seismos directly on it can just barely measure them. Ones you can actually feel , standing right on the rift average only one - three every ten years or so.

I don't think we have had a measurable quake here since our big 12,003 ft high volcanic mountain settled down about 10,000 years ago:

51663814v3_240x240_F.jpg

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got in to Tycho website: here is what the "Satellite Health Page" modified Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:16:52 PM says:

SATELLITE HEALTH CODE INFORMATION

GPS SATELLITE HEALTH CODES:

CODE INDICATION
-.-. -.-.-.-.-.
00 ALL SIGNALS OK
01 ALL SIGNALS WEAK, 3 - 6DB BELOW SPECS
02 ALL SIGNALS DEAD
03 ALL SIGNALS HAVE NO DATA MODULATION
04 L1-P SIGNAL WEAK
05 L1-P SIGNAL DEAD
06 L1-P SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
07 L2-P SIGNAL WEAK
08 L2-P SIGNAL DEAD
09 L2-P SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
10 L1-C SIGNAL WEAK
11 L1-C SIGNAL DEAD
12 L1-C SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
13 L2-C SIGNAL WEAK
14 L2-C SIGNAL DEAD
15 L2-C SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
16 L1 & L2-P SIGNAL WEAK
17 L1 & L2-P SIGNAL DEAD
18 L1 & L2-P SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
19 L1 & L2-C SIGNAL WEAK
20 L1 & L2-C SIGNAL DEAD
21 L1 & L2-C SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
22 L1 SIGNAL WEAK
23 L1 SIGNAL DEAD
24 L1 SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
25 L2 SIGNAL WEAK
26 L2 SIGNAL DEAD
27 L2 SIGNAL HAS NO DATA DEMODULATION
28 SV IS TEMPORARILY OUT - DO NOT USE THIS SV DURING THIS PASS
30 SPARE
31 MORE THAN ONE ANOMALY

That kind of explains it, huh?

Although I'd like to know WHY nearly everything is like that.....

Oh, wait, Weren't the French or the Chinese supposed to be launching several of their own GPS satellites this week? Seems like I read that somewhere very recently.

Maybe they are actually trying to bring down our GPS system. (I'm kidding about that last part... or AM I?)

Last edited:

metalhed

Enlightened
If I understand this map correctly, the southwestern US is suffering from some minor 'dilution of precision', to use the government's term.

Dunno if this explains your readings or not, but I learned something looking for it, so thanks!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover said:
Uh, silveriron? Excuse me, but that appears to be a list of possible error codes, not the current status.

Note that each is slightly different.

Daniel

OH, DUH! :ohgeez: :ohgeez: :ohgeez:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I thought those were the satellite numbers... even I should have known there aren't that many GPS satellites up.

What a maroon