The importance of a backup light...

greenLED

Flashaholic
...or carrying enough spares :)

I try to hit as many dark streets as I can on my short ride back home. Tonight, as I was pedaling down a dark street, the Pila GL3 I'm using as headlight went out. When using protected cells, the light output goes from full to... nothing! :eek: I wouldn't've been able to re-load my GL3 with fresh batteries. I carry only 2 spare 123's (in an old Kodak Advantix film canister) in my pack, but the GL3 uses 3x123's! I would've been in trouble. :awman:

Lucky for me, I have a helmet light (NG500 sammie in minimag) and I made the rest of my trip without further incident. I also could've strapped on my Arc LSL onto the handlebar. Not as much light as my GL3, but enough to work as a headlight in an emergency situation, and the spare 123's I carry would've been enough for a long ride.

The moral of the story? Carry enough spare batteries to actually re-load the lights you're using! Also, carrying one (or more) ;) backup lights might come in handy. If your life depends on the lights you use, backup lights (and spares for those) becomes essential.

Have you been in a situation where your backup light(s) saved your neck?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey greenLED,

I have not had a light fail on me in a critical situation. I don't really recall a bulb or an LED dying in service. And this goes way back to my "Sportsman" 2 C cell and "Eveready" penlight days (about 35 years ago!). The few Maglight bulbs I had die did so in their sleep. They just didn't light up.

But yes, like most CPFers I carry a primary light, usually a E1e/E2e in my pocket or strapped to my belt, a L2/KL3+6P+A19 in my back pack, and a ARC4 AAA in my pocket. As for reloads, I have a retrofitted orange match carrier with 2 CR123 either in my pocket or holstered on my belt, a SC1/SC3 and 2 lithium AAAs in my backpack .

If I'm doing a night hike or camping I usually have 2 primary lights (one incan and one LED) along with a headlight and lots of batteries and bulbs.

So my rule of thumb is at least one battery reload and lamp for carried lights. Although sometimes I just carry a battery reload for my incans if they truely are for casual use for a night on the town. My Arc4 AAA is always in my pocket.

I really love my KL3+6P+A19 as I can reload it with 2 or 3 cells depending on the battery carrier I have with me at the time. Plus I can and usually use incan leftovers for this setup.

I hear ya on the proper reloads brother!

kelmo

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got caught with a dead battery in my Solitaire during the big blackout of2003. Had to feel my way up 8 floors of stairs in a pitch black stairwell. Now I carry the 1st line of my sig every time I go out.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sort of. My partner was on the ground with a "customer" and said to me, "Give me a light." He was trying to get handcuffs on the guy.

I pulled my Surefire M6 and it lit for a second before the bulb exploded. I didn't have time to ponder what had happened, so I reholstered it and pulled out the Surefire M3 and lit up the scene allowing my fellow to complete the arrest.

Not exactly life or death, but it reinforced why I carry two or more lights when I'm at work. A lot of my coworkers have stories about what happens when their light goes dead, and it is usually a little nerve-racking.

greenLED

Flashaholic
kelmo said:
I don't really recall a bulb or an LED dying in service.
Neither have I :) The half-dozen times I've been left in the dark it's been because of exhausted batteries, not the actual bulb blowing or LED circuit dying. Back when I used NiCd's in my 4D Mag, it'd be a matter of staying put for a few minutes until the voltage recovered, hitting the switch to clear the path of snakes and taking a mad dash until the light went out again. With protected li-ions... there's no voltage recovery - you're truly left in the dark, unless you have backup lights or spare batts.

This is the second time the protection circuit kicks on my Pila batts, and I'm not sure I like the light/no light situation.

Thanks for sharing, Lightraven. That's by far a more critical situation than my nightly bike ride. :)

LEDNinja, keep'em shining!

Arkayne

Enlightened
In my case, it didn't save my neck.... it saved my steaks!

The bbq grills at my gf's apt complex are 3 floors down in the courtyard. It was about 7PM and the lighting isn't too good but that was ok because I had my A2.... wait a sec, I left my A2 upstairs! Lucky for me, I had an Electrolumens XM2 in my backpack. I was able to grill my steaks to perfection and had a great dinner and movie!

H_Alpha

Newly Enlightened
Never had a primary light quit in a serious situation -- did have a CMG Ultra quit in a movie theater while leaving -- embarassing, but just my two daughters who constantly tease me about LED lights.

Lightraven said:
A lot of my coworkers have stories about what happens when their light goes dead, and it is usually a little nerve-racking.

Lightraven - maybe they would understand how batt's/bulbs work if you ask:
Do you wait until your car won't start to buy a new car battery?
Do you wait until a tire blows out before buying a new set?

Fred

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
During a night dive, I had my Darrel Allen go out (can't remember if it was the bulb or the switch) with no backup on me. Really stupid move on my part. I even had a backup sitting in the truck. Nothing dramatic, but REALLY CREEPY!!!. Made my way over to my partner and headed in.

Don't do much diving nowadays, but adhere to the 'two is one, one is none' mentality when it comes to lighting. Backup lights and spare batts galore.

greenLED

Flashaholic
BigHonu said:
During a night dive, I had my Darrel Allen go out...
:eek: that's gotta be a *really* eerie feeling... complete darkness and underwater :eek:
Diving is the best sport ever invented, BTW.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Had my 3[M]iniMag dim waaay down on me because I forgot to top the battery (non-protected Li-Ion) off. But I did have on my my SureFire E1e and the Photon Freedom plus a spare LC14270 from AW nestled in my coin pocket to swap out with the said dimmed down light. I've made it a habit to always carry two or more lights on my person at all times. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly.

Enjoy!

tron3

Banned
That's why I always have my Fenix L0P in my pocket. It won't backup my 10 million CP light, but it's better than being in the dark.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I worked security in a Denver highrise, I only brought my surefire 9p with me on a certian night. It had a new bulb so I did not worry about it. I dropped it onto the carpet from a low 2' tall file cabinent...the bulb blew. After walking a number of dark halways that night, I saw a sillohuette of a 6'5" man in the moonlight through the window, holding either a bat or very big knife. Instead of drawing my 9mm pistol and unloading it - in a hostal manner - I decided to simply keep clenching my butt-cheeks and quickly walk to the bank of light switches 60 feet down the hall. The longest walk in my life. I made it, drew my gun and walked back to the office now lit by the hall lights. 'Gladiator' had just been released and there was a life size cut out of Mel Gibson holding a claymore sword...Glad I did not put several holes in it ...and the window behind it. I might have gotten into trouble.

I now understand the need for a back up light. Leds do not solve all problems, as I have also had the switch on a heleotek go out on me and a pelican 3 watt die after only a few battery changes. There is a great new Surefire ad where it shows a man with a m6 in a underground cave and pushes the virtues of a reliable light. If I were in a cave deep underground and my lighting budget was $400, I would not want one M6. I would rather have 2 or 3 lights. One light often is not enough.

A few great lights from some good manufactures...none of which I would like to trust my life too on thier own.

Delvance

Enlightened
:crackup: Lol, know that i know you were safe, too funny! Classic! Glad it wasn't a bad situation phew! 6'5" man with a big sword in an empty high rise apartment :thinking: hrmmm lol.

woodrow said:
Back when I worked security in a Denver highrise, I only brought my surefire 9p with me on a certian night. It had a new bulb so I did not worry about it. I dropped it onto the carpet from a low 2' tall file cabinent...the bulb blew. After walking a number of dark halways that night, I saw a sillohuette of a 6'5" man in the moonlight through the window, holding either a bat or very big knife. Instead of drawing my 9mm pistol and unloading it - in a hostal manner - I decided to simply keep clenching my butt-cheeks and quickly walk to the bank of light switches 60 feet down the hall. The longest walk in my life. I made it, drew my gun and walked back to the office now lit by the hall lights. 'Gladiator' had just been released and there was a life size cut out of Mel Gibson holding a claymore sword...Glad I did not put several holes in it ...and the window behind it. I might have gotten into trouble.

I now understand the need for a back up light. Leds do not solve all problems, as I have also had the switch on a heleotek go out on me and a pelican 3 watt die after only a few battery changes. There is a great new Surefire ad where it shows a man with a m6 in a underground cave and pushes the virtues of a reliable light. If I were in a cave deep underground and my lighting budget was $400, I would not want one M6. I would rather have 2 or 3 lights. One light often is not enough.

A few great lights from some good manufactures...none of which I would like to trust my life too on thier own.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha, if it had been a cutout for a Friday the 13th flick, maybe bullets would have flown. I think some people would have been sympathetic--I would be!

To be perfectly honest, there have been a few times when I was still inexperienced when I DIDN'T turn my flashlight on, because I was alone in a remote area and not sure if I could handle the situation by myself. With experience came confidence, but I still feel safer prowling around in the dark.

H Alpha--It doesn't make much sense to me either, but some people need to find things out the hard way.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went caving with my father and brothers "back in the day" and my father carried this large NiCd powered light. We had basic 2D flashlights and were looking around and my dad's NiCd batteries died. He fell on his butt so we went to get him out of the cave. His rear was sore for a few days.

March 2002 South Korea I was bike riding out in the country on a cloudy night. Rice patties were on either side of the road with a 3 meter drop. My 5 watt halogen helmet light lit the way and life was good... until the bulb blew! Instant, inky blackness and I was buzzing along at 25KPH. I remember the road was starting to curve so I adjusted for it while hitting the brakes. I stopped and waited for my eyes to adjust and checked were I was with the red LED flasher. Luckily I remembered the curve in the road as I sat one meter from a 3 meter drop. My buddy rides up a minute later and notes my helmet light was out. That was when the idea of bicycle LED lighting became my goal.

My MillerMods L1P is the new helmet light and (once completed) a 400+ lumen 8AA to 2D Mag mod will be my frame light. I've used 75 to 170 lumen frame mount lights for several years when the need arises. If I am riding in any area that is pitch black, two LED lights or I won't ride.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid (1980 - 1990) I used to have a 'Dynamo' on my bike, used to keep 2, 3 Spare bulbs (in pocket / scool bag), a 1 AA 'torch' as a backup (just in case if i had to change the light) I also used to carry a series of 4 Yellow 5 mm LED's soldered to a 9 V battery connector) and a 9 Volts Everready ordinary carbon zinc batterry (similar to packlight setup) as a backup of backup (as LED's were 'solid state', and were more 'reliable' according to my knowledge that time :p)

I wonder, why Dynamo's are not that common these days? any specific reason, or it's just out of fassion?

Today, I imagine a Dynamo running 3 Watt LED as a backup light when primary (battery run, helmet,onmount LED/Indanc/HID lights) go out of battery power.

for my EDC, I use Peak 7 LED McKinley (First Love) with a pocket body (it's just so invisible in business clothing) and as a backup i have Photon Freedom (modded with Nichia CS) ... daily.

On slightly adventures ventures, i also carry QIII, Peak's Kinobay with 2 Li-Ion Protected rechargables(one as spare, one in use), Also carry 2 standard batteries. (CR123 & AA).... just in case if i need them.

I have been lucky enough that havent met with any 'unfortunate' event of light being out. And, always had a backup ever since i was a kid :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
For the same reason you stated, I always carry a spare flashlight when I do my nightly walks with my little girl. One day I forgot to charge the MP700 rechargable cells in A2 and half-way through my walk my A2 "died" (went out of regulation, which is when you "have" to turn it off to protect the LiIon cells), so I was lucky I had a backup LED light so I made it home "safely" ;)

Will

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
My partners have laughed at me for my slowly growing illumination tools collection, but the night we did a ground search for a missing drunken woman in - 30 C weather, I provided back-up lights to some of my partners who did not have lights with them, or their one-and-only duty light died. Some of them are now QUITE interested in the Pila GL3, MXDL 3 AAA and Striker VG!

WinstonSmith

Newly Enlightened
Once stumbled through about a half mile of a reenacted first world war trench system (shellholes, ditches, BARBED WIRE, etcetc), at 2am, with a BAC firmly pegged over the legal limit, with a bare candle stub.
:candle:
The authentic vintage 1916 dated australian military "torch" which had amply displayed it's affinity for smoking bulbs earlier, and which my accomplace was carrying, was perhaps not the finest choice for a primary light source.

Took the same candle, and proceeded to burn down part of my tent that night with me in it. No injuries or damage beyond the tent luckily.

Now they call me "Sparky", and collect all sources of flame from me before libations commence.

Lessons learned:

1) Fire and liquor.. Bad mix.

2) Authenticity is nice, but an Arc-P is better.

3) Don't ever spend more than 30 mins in the Russian Bunker. Better to not go at all, unless you tie a tag around your neck reading "In case of sudden idiocy, please return to:"

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Not a 'lucky escape' or 'backup saves the day' story, but a note about when bulbs die....

I recently had to replace the lamp on the Surefire 8NX I use at work, I dropped it one night, from waist height onto tarmac, and thought nothing of it, as the lamp was still working. A couple of nights later, the lamp blew! Could be random chance, but I think the shock may have hastened it's demise. I have rarely had to replace blown lamp (Once as related here, once cos I put a P60 lamp into a 9P body and popped it straight off)...... erm, I think thats it. My original 10 year old P90 lamps still work, so I think the 20 hours that Surefire expects is a little conservative in this case.

When lamps are used, the repeated cycles of heating and cooling tend to make the filament brittle, so I would expect a well used lamp to blow more readily than a new one, but in a critical situation, I'd like to be able to replace a lamp that's been dropped before heading into action. We don't all have the luxury of being able to afford this, so the backup argument still stands.