Battle of the Small Lights : Which to choose?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not really been in touch with the small flashlights market (or flashlights as a whole, for that matter) as I shifted to modding for awhile. I've read up a little but you know how there's so much info everywhere.

I'm EDCing a Fenix L1P which is still good, but have always wanted a regulated, 3 watt, multiple brightness EDC in that size. A modded 3-watt L1P with 2 stage would have sufficed, but it never came. Are the MB-3W from Emilion and HDS B42 the only options at around $80-100?

I also like some of the new small lights out there even though they are single output. This thread is kind of to compile the available options and also ask for opinions. Pls add lights that I've missed out and correct my info!

$120 and below
Adjustable Brightness
- HDS Basic 42 (regulated with thermal prot.)
- MB3W (DD)
- Jil Intelli (regulated)
- Orb Raw

Single Brightness
- Triton P1
- Fenix P1 Rocket (I assume its less than $120 :D )
- Jetbeam Jet-I
- Amilite Neo T3
- Peak series lights

$120 and way above
- HDS Series lights (60, 80)
- Gatlight
- McLux III PD
- Firefly III
- Mr Bulk lights

I've considered the MB3W and the HDS B42 for the longest time, but they are both just not perfect for me in terms of looks/function etc... I like the Fenix or Jet-I AA/CR123 but they aren't adjustable. P1 Rocket looks nice too but same reason.

Jil Intelli is my next choice but besides being currently out, I don't need it to be so small and would rather have more runtime using a CR123 or 14500 instead of AA.

I *could* tempt myself into a high end EDC, but I would rather carry something not so expensive as there is always a risk of damage/loss.

Any ideas guys? 3w, preferably regulated, single R123a, adjustable brightness (max 40-50 lumens enough), fair runtime on high (45mins to 1 hr) sleek-looking, reasonably priced? Thanks!

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emilion has stated that a two-stage tailcap will be offered for the Jet-1 within a couple of months. This is for the 1AA or 2AA (with extender). I don't know if it will be offered for the cr123 version.

I love the HDS, but it is a bit fat...

There have been some not-so favorable reviews on the MB3W in the reviews section...

Sverre

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sverre,

Thanks for the info. A 2 stage might make the Jet-I very much more desirable as I already do like the look. But I prefer the CR123 though :p I think I'd have to ask Emil if there are plans for a CR123 2 stage.

Wonder how it'd work though... like a Fenix 2-stage? Twistie on-off and clickie to choose setting? It'd be cool if the controls are totally thru the clickie, although reliability may be an issue.

2 stage is definitely great, but usually a mid setting that combines usable light with a good runtime (3-4 hours) would be better. Dang, this is hard :p

I read about the MB3W having a finicky button but otherwise is quite good. I'm leaning towards it cuz it seems like the only one that meets most my requirements; but obviously I'm not in love with it or I'd have grabbed it long ago :D

Last edited:

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
The Orb Raw does have a 2 stage option, Low has a good runtime, high for me seems to last a few days of use, I tend to recharge 2x a week. I think its the coolest light and it does impress everyone I show!

Going with a high end light will help curb the desire to keep trying the light of the week! In the long run you will save money! At least thats my theory. Ive not regretted buying any of my better lights! Once you get a taste of a nice white beam its tough to go to a low qualiy light!

s.duff

Enlightened
im really looking forward to checking out the orb raw at some point. ive heard great things about it.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
No love for the Q3 yet? I seriously love mine, modded by Milkyspit with TYOH luxeon, DorcyAAA driver and 2 stage tailcap. Runs a seriously long time on a CR123. And with a 1xAA adapter the runtime gets even more nutzo, maybe around 20 hours on HIGH!
Then again, maybe I'm just easy to please.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
...Q3...? I seriously love mine, modded by Milkyspit with TYOH luxeon, DorcyAAA driver and 2 stage tailcap. Runs a seriously long time on a CR123. And with a 1xAA adapter the runtime gets even more nutzo, maybe around 20 hours on HIGH!
I was going to say just about the same thing, though I have only recently bought my own Q3 after trying to stay away for a long time. You can get a two stage Q3 switch from a couple of people and then upgrade the Q3 easily.
Also, Litemania (same place that sells the Jil) sell a seriously modded Q3 for under $70 (less than you'd spend getting it done the same yourself). It is natural HA finish, TXOH, two stage switch, glass lens. I've been considering one myself. Litemania also sells the HA body and parts to build it yourself. I just wish they didn't have a month long wait and the prices were listed in $$ so I knew what I was spending.

The Big Q3 comes with a two stage switch stock, has longer run time and more output than the Q3, but of course is 34mm longer to fit the second C123... and to my regret, the Big Q3 two-stage tail cap does not work on the Q3. hmmmmm

The Jet 123 does NOT have the tail switch, it is twist only like the Fenix P1 Rocket. I ordered the Jet123 as soon as I saw the thread, but then saw that only the AA version had a clicky (they didn't exactly make it clear), then tried (unsuccessfully so far) to cancel my order. I really like clickies, especially tactical momentary type! The only reason I finally got a Q3 from LED_Experimenter (great guy) was that he specified the new switch (and has good prices too). Now only if somebody can do a two stage mod to the new Q3 clicky...(anybody?)

If you can deal with twist, the FireFly is your smallest CR123 multi-stage option.

Hey Omega Man, where did you get the AA extension?

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
I have a HDS U60, this is a capable light giving some useful mutiple outputs, and some user programability, though this can be a little complicated. It's very nice aesthetically and to hold in your hand, but from what you're saying this is a bit too much. I would think something modded as others have suggested.
Ian B

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been serious moves in small lights lately, heck I've purchased a few :)

MillerMods L1P with 5 ohm high/low two-stage switch $77 490mA to the R bin on high gives the L1P "screamer" status. Runtime over an hour on high or 5+ hours on low with a 2400mAH Titanium NiMH AA cell. LED can easily be replaced when a sexy K2 catches your eye.

DSpeck (Spark Illuminations) Fire~Fly III 20 Programmable levels to determine first two brightness settings. Third output is full blast (75 lumens?)on a RCR123 rechargable. Twistie action so no switch failures and LED can be changed out when desired (Mine is in the mail) $120 plus shipping or $130 plus shipping if you need a RCR123 and nano charger.

Peak Pacific AAA Luxeon (optional AA, 2xAAA and CR2 bodies) $49.95 + shipping. Very long, regulated runtimes, twisty switch for reliability and multiple battery options make it my choice for power outages, camping or "showering in the dark" light. Very nice pocket light or can be configured for 2AAA or CR2 to make it even brighter. Optional momentary switch or stainless steel, HA-III aluminum or brass construction. Fits line-loc magnet clamp for hands free operation etc.

Those are the three lights that I have, are in the mail or order pending for this year. The Jetbeam, Orb and Larrylight look very promising also.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the useful input guys.

Paul, thanks for the info!

Omega, vic and Blind, I've 'passed' over the Q3 when the Fenix L1P came out a long time back. Almost got the HAIII one Warren was selling but somehow didn't bite. Pretty nice light, but I kinda like the simple look for my small lights.

ian and blazer, a B42 would suffice for me if I ended up with a HDS :D I am seriously considering it as well; but they've been out for the longest time and I didn't get one. I think to me it's just missing something; can't put a finger on it.

BentHead, Millermods 2-stage L1P does sound nice :) Thanks for the other options. Wish I had the luxury to just buy them all too. But then I'd prob have to post again asking which one to carry. :laughing:

Btw, Emil replied that Jet-I 2 stager is only for AA. Oh well :)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Q3 purchase was almost a HDS Basic 42. Funny how it all worked out well though, I'm glad with my decision.
Good luck with your choice!

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
ront said:
WHere do you get the Millermod L1P with the 2 stage switch?

Thanks, Ron

unless, i'm mistaken, i think you can get the millermod L1p from fenixstore.com and do the 2 stage mod yourself, which takes like five minutes.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
...Pls add lights that I've missed out and correct my info!...

$120 and below
Adjustable Brightness
- Jil Intelli (regulated)...
Jil Intelli is my next choice but besides being currently out, I don't need it to be so small and would rather have more runtime using a CR123 or 14500 instead of AA. ...

From Warren's sale pic the Intelli is DD, not regulated. For regulation you'd need one of the 1.3W models, then have the Flupic added, so your cost would go up above $120. As to runtime and other batteries, Warren sells (or was selling) the Cab extension for 14500 or the Bus extension for 2 AAs.

ront

Newly Enlightened
Not meaning to hijack this thread!!

I have a Fenix L1P on it's way to me right now. I should have it on Monday. Can I do the 2 stage mod on it then? If so, can someone point me in the direction with instruction on how to do this?

Thanks, Ron

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
ront said:
Not meaning to hijack this thread!!

I have a Fenix L1P on it's way to me right now. I should have it on Monday. Can I do the 2 stage mod on it then? If so, can someone point me in the direction with instruction on how to do this?

Thanks, Ron

here's a link to a thread that explains how to do it.

link

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
edakoppo said:
From Warren's sale pic the Intelli is DD, not regulated. For regulation you'd need one of the 1.3W models, then have the Flupic added, so your cost would go up above $120. As to runtime and other batteries, Warren sells (or was selling) the Cab extension for 14500 or the Bus extension for 2 AAs.

The FluPic completely replaces the DD board in the Jil DD to make it regulated. I just did mine Wednesday. Jill DD $65 plus $35 FluPic = $100
And the original Jil DD board is sitting on my coffee table.