Standard Orb Raw or Raw NS

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
If have neither and purchasing one, which would you choose and why. I've had the Orb Raw before, sold it and have a requirement to get another one. I've since noticed this version called the NS. Why should I get one over the other?

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
I have both. If i were to choose only one, i would take the NS. Its design is much better but it feels slightly heavier. Attaching a lanyard is much simpler too. Also, IIRC the material is much stronger than the RAW so scratches are less likely to develop? The additional runtime on high would be a plus too. The downside would be the lower output many have been complaining about for the NS. For more details, look for joema's review here. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110428

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have neither also, but the only one I really considered was the NS for the following reasons:

1. It's aesthetically more appealing to me. I'm not a huge fan of lights that just look like lipstick cases or lipstick cases with knurling. I want my lights to have machining and design that make it a bit more distinctive from a lipstick.

2. As NEL mentioned, the material is reportedly tougher and more scratch resistant.

3. 2-stage is standard. Not really a biggy...

4. Is water resistant with o-rings whereas the Raw has no o-rings at all.

The reason I'm not getting one is the need for a hard-to-find battery and it ONLY runs on rechargables. LiIons are great for daily use, but if power goes out, once that charge is gone, it won't work. I like lights that work on both primaries and rechargables.
Orb stated that the newer versions will not have the internal SMD resistor that is limiting the current in the current/previous version of the NS, so the new ones should be brigther (at the sacrifice of shorter runtimes on high). So the output diff between the Raw and NS should be less with the new ones.
HTH.

NotEnoughLight - how do you attach a keyring to the NS?

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Id pick the raw again,with a 2 stage. I think the extra brightness and size ae a plus!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I think I'm leaning towards the standard Raw, especially if the NS is heavier. In a light this small, you can feel every extra gram of weight. Having the Raw sometime ago, I know what to expect as it relates to weight, lack of water proofness, etc.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
jsr, i did not try a keyring for fear of scratching the light. A string that is thin enough can pass through the light at the rear end. Something like what is done with the fenix L1P.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both lights have their pluses and minuses, so my advice is to follow the CPF motto - for a veteran such as yourself, I don't need to repeat it here.
smoker.gif

kooter

Enlightened
I have an NS ordered. Hope its not an expensive mistake. Thinking of getting a RAW as well. HDS first though me thinks:sssh:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I have both, and would go with the NS. Reasons:
- More quality feel to the twist (partly due to O-rings, but maybe also a finer thread because of density of the metal?)
- More positive on/off/bright action, and less twist necessary (Raw flickers a bit while twisting)
- Easy to attach small split ring and lanyard
- Nickel Silver more resistant to scratching (I suppose it's a kind of bronze really?)
- It fits better into NiteIze headband
- Nicer design
- More suitable to give as a present
This isn't to rubbish the Raw, it's a great little device.