IF i were to....

Orbit

Enlightened
...make a custom head light assembly using LED's....custom reflector etc etc....what would i use? and how would i do it?
with all the talk about headlight becoming LED based i'm just wondering if anyone has ideas on having a crack at one?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean actual headlight housing that would actually replace the headlights?

I'd be concerned about legal issues.

I know that a good Lux III in a Mag reflector will cut through my high beams which have been replaced with Silver Stars. Actually, a Lux III in an IMS 27mm reflector will do the same. Those would be pretty cool for LED driving lights.

Orbit

Enlightened
at hits stage i'm more thinking off road useage...so no legal issues.

i'm thinking standard 240mm parabolic housing....want most lumen output and a bit of throw wouldnt' hurt. lol....
maybe lots and lots of luxIII in 27mm IMS...very infant stage idea....but i would like to have a go.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs and incan bulbs are still pretty close from a light output per watt perspective, so if you are used to using 60 watts for your application, you are still going to need about 60 watts for your LED application.

The closest package I am aware of is from Lamina

http://www.laminaceramics.com/products/bl3000.aspx

I remember that oddone posted a prototype light he was playing with based on the Lamina 3000 package. I don't remember the numbers, but it was impressive.