3-mode 45 LED flashlight question

rajul

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I just bought this 6V 45 LED flashlight which has three modes i.e. 9, 15, and 45 LEDs. I had a peep at the internal wiring and it seems like the the same voltage is delivered to the LEDs in all three modes. The question I have is whether in the lowest mode, i.e. 9 or 15 LEDs, will be voltage be too high and cause the LEDs to burn earlier? Thanks for all the inputs!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your leds are safe.

I bought the same flashlight as a mod host and when I replaced the original switch I found that each of the 3 sections of leds in the head had a diode and current limiting resistor in series with them. You'll find these parts on the small circuit board beneath the switch.

You will notice that the central led and the first ring of 8 leds are brighter in LOW mode versus HIGH mode and this is due to there being less load on the batteries and hence, less voltage sag across them.

This is less noticeable if you use Ni-MH rechargeables instead of regular alkalines and the total brightness on Ni-MH cells will be the same or slightly better than what fresh alkalines will give you.

If you should ever need to replace the switch, front lens, or 4 X AAA battery carrier that has both positive and negative contacts at one end just let me know.
I have spares. :)