Daylight Saving Time begins this weekend.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Just a heads-up here...those in the US who observe Daylight Saving Time (DST) need to set their clocks ahead one hour this Sunday morning. For all intents and purpose, setting your clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed Saturday evening will suffice.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing every spring; lose one hour of sleep.

Microwave, Oven, Wall clock in kitchen, fireplace mantel clock, programmable thermostat, light timers, sprinkler timer, alarm clocks, VCR, car clocks, watch; just to name a few.

I thought they were going to go with the "extended DST" this year?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I agree with powernoodle! The Feds passed a law to move DST up a few weeks earlier for "energy savings." Anybody remember when that kicks-in? Seems like anybody running Windows will be updating their computer's clock manually, and again a couple weeks later when uncle Bill does it for you! :crackup:

Larry

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
With any luck the "extended DST" will be canceled before it gets much further. I'll have dozens of systems that will have to be checked at 2 am and again at 3am just to be safe, and again 2 weeks later. Managment gets paranoid when they have automated processes running.

Daniel

alaskawolf

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I wish we had 12 hours of daylight, you know? :)
I hate short winter days. :p

:) just passed 15+ hours of daylight a few days ago and still gaining, i cant wait till its 24 hours of daylight

quite a big difference from a few months ago when it seemed liked there was almost no daylight.

now if only the snow and ice would melt

daylight savings is pointless up here

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Many people, including some reputable organisations, spell it "Daylight Savings Time" (note the spurious "S" at the end of "Saving"), instead of "Daylight Saving Time". I wonder why this is the case. :confused:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I also wish DST would go away. I seriously question its alleged energy-savings and safety benefit while I know for a fact that the disorientation itself is quite costly - there's an uptick in traffic accidents the first week of DST and plenty of folks show up late for work the first day it's in effect.

I'm part of the 24-hour economy, so DST is pure nuisance for me. When you're driving to work at 2PM, the sun is only a few hours past high noon, and when you're heading home at midnight, dawn is usually more than 6 hours away.

Dumb. I don't think that the "problems" that DST attempts to address can be seriously effected by shifting time an hour every 6 months.

People are typically awake 16 hours of the day. Assuming the 8 hours of sleep occur during nighttime hours, that leaves an average 4 hours of darkness that people are not going to sleep through. By the nature of our economy and society, people are going to be active during those hours.

It is simply not possible to manipulate the clock so that all activities occur during daylight hours. Modern life requires more than "workday" hours to take care of everything that needs to be done.

I submit that individual businesses, schools, government agencies, etc could do more to promote energy efficieincy/savings and safety through local initiatives than the clumsy mechanism of DST. Local scheduling instead of rigid national scheduling would help. Here in the southern US, for example, the length of the day doesn't vary so much, so DST is marginalized even more.

The 24-hour economy is growing. Even the most stodgy of private institutions, banks, are offering extended hours. Your typical retailer is open 15 hours a day. After-school programs - one of many common justifications for DST - typically run into the early evening. Why can we not accept that DST is an anaochronism of an earlier age that's no longer relevant?

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a scientific observation at all but I seem to feel the loss of an hour in the spring for a week or more. In the fall I feel the gain of one hour for one day.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
I agree with powernoodle! The Feds passed a law to move DST up a few weeks earlier for "energy savings." Anybody remember when that kicks-in? Seems like anybody running Windows will be updating their computer's clock manually, and again a couple weeks later when uncle Bill does it for you! :crackup:

Larry
The revised DST takes effect next year (2007).

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
Many people, including some reputable organisations, spell it "Daylight Savings Time" (note the spurious "S" at the end of "Saving"), instead of "Daylight Saving Time". I wonder why this is the case. :confused:

Good question, maybe because we are only saving one hour and "one" is singular, hence no "s" should be needed.

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
And don't forget to change your batteries in your smoke detectors! (and flashlights)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDMaster2003 said:
And don't forget to change your batteries in your smoke detectors! (and flashlights)
And don't forget to put those pulled 9v batteries aside for future use in your Pak-Lite. Customers have reported running used smoke alarm batteries in Pak-Lites and getting six hours of light a night for three weeks off each used battery.