O-Ring Lube in SFs

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
What's the best silicone product to get, where's a good place to get it, and any tips on my first SF O-ring lube? Sorry for the dumb SureFire newbie questions! :huh:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
After buying tubes of both Nyogel 119 and 759, I like to use the lighter/thinner 779 for O-Rings, and the heavier 759 on metal threads where you want a thicker kind of lube grease to stay longer. If I only wanted to buy one type, it would be the 759...which will work fine on the O-rings also.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I use silicone lube from RatShack. Delvance, the o-rings you're lubricating with petroleum jelly might not be made out of rubber (saved by the bell!).

Delvance

Enlightened
:twothumbs hehe, almost all the lights in my sig were at one point being lubed by the petroleum jelly, and none of the o-rings show any damage at all! Don't see water getting through them either. The tub o' jelly is quite old and really really no-frills...so maybe it's so cheap it doesn't hurt o-rings lol. That said, now most of my lights use the silicone spray due to it giving a much smoother action...some i have found to be better with the jelly stuff i got though...Inova X0 and T3 for eg.

greenLED said:
I use silicone lube from RatShack. Delvance, the o-rings you're lubricating with petroleum jelly might not be made out of rubber (saved by the bell!).

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Ummm...is RatShack, radio Shack? Where do you buy this other stuff? Target? I prefer to stay away from WalMart, especially after seeing "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price". Best documentary we have seen in ages.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I use NyoGel 759G for pretty much all o-rings and threads on flashlights...

P49.jpg

P48.jpg

I find it amusing that it was cheaper to buy this American-made product from a UK dealer than it was to buy it from a USA dealer...

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can find the specs on Nye's website.

If you'd like me to dig out the invoice and send you the contact details for the UK supplier I used please email me. Note that it will take me a while to find it (hence why I'm not posting it right now!)

Lexus

Enlightened
I bought a 50 gram tube of 759G from lighthound. Works well on all my aluminium flashlights.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
So, you use that on both the threads and the O-rings? What's that 779 stuff for? Looks like that might be better for my G2, huh? Being in ND soon, I might just use the lighter stuff exclusively since it gets pretty cold up there. :)