Inova X1 UV (EDIT: Online site selling old X1s found!)

fireball920

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: The site I was looking at (http://batteryjunction.com/inx1uvx1.html) still sells the old version of the colored X1, silver and black models, $15 plus standard shipping. So if anyone wants to complete there collection this may be one of the last times.
/EDIT

Hey guys, first post. Anyhoo, college started up this year and now that I have my own mailing address and credit card I bought some stuff on the internet. By far the best thing I got was an white X5. Brilliant device, really. My room mate was so jealous he got an X03, I honestly don't see the need for that unless I go camping since whenever he uses it his night vision disintegrates. That led me to get a red X5 and his response was a UV X5.
The arms race between us is over but I keep finding myself playing with his UV. I really don't feel like paying ~60 for one though so I was thinking about the X1 UV. I found a seller for $29. Two questions. (okay technically 3) ^_^

- Does anyone have the UV X1, is it decent?
- I browsed a few posts here and read that there's a new model for the X1. Instead of the unique circle thing is it just a dimmer X5? What version do you recommend I get, assuming I can find both online, 90% of the stores seem to be out of stock and they don't say which version they carry.

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Re: Inova X1 UV

Well, although I am not answering your question, I can provide you with a possible alternative for an UV led light at a very reasonable price.

Lighthound.com has a 12 UV led light that is sold for 6.99 and apparently it is significantly brighter than the Inova X5 UV.

Just thought I would let you know.

fireball920

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, thanks. I kinda want to stick with Inova but I'll think about that one, I don't like the battery set up, and it doesn't look as cool and I really don't need that much power, but I would save 20 bucks.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should buy it. You might be able to get it cheaper, too, if you search. Might as well get the other color x1s, as they are awesome too.

fireball920

Newly Enlightened

What's the model number of the older/newer X1, are they identicle? Can you tell from a picture?
The site I found has "UV X1MT-UVT" assuming they didn't just forget to update the description, is that the old one? I would think for UV the old circular spot would be better.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

fireball920 wrote: "What's the model number of the older/newer X1, are they identicle? Can you tell from a picture?"

From the reports here about the new Inova X1 (new inova x1 at target) - unfortunately it appears that the model numbers/UPC remain the same.

In the "flesh" it is easy to identify them by looking at the lens - the old, as you know, has a coated convex lens - whereas the new version looks obvious with plain "glass" and reflector. Post #28 (linked) in the thread above shows a photo of the two versions side-by-side.

If you're buying on-line - it is probably much safer to ask the vendor first before ordering.
(the problem with a picture is that there is no guarantee that it is a photo of the actual light being sold - BTW - that is the old focussing/collimating lens version in the picture you linked)

fireball920

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys, very informative. I'll get a hold of the vender. I'm assuming they only have the old one since Inova's site now doesn't even acknowledge that they have UV X1s. Perhaps they stopped making that version? That would explain why 90% of sites are sold out.

redcar

Enlightened

I have a UV X1 and like it a lot. It is the 'moon beam' version with a pretty tight spot, but I use it to light up glow in the dark stuff like watches and compasses so I don't need a wide spread.

chuck4570

Enlightened

You might want to look at the new stylus light from Streamlight, they just brought out a UV version for around $20 bucks. Pretty afordable for a light to play around with.

Chuck

fireball920

Newly Enlightened

Ah, they replied!
"As far as I know all of the UV models have the old optic.
All of our white LED models have the new optic.
We have most if not all of the colored LED models with the old optic as
well...
So, the answer is - it depends. :)
Give us a call on Monday afternoon if you'd like and we can go over exactly
what is available."

Well that clears that up. Also if anyone wants the colored LED old X1s the site seems to have them, black or silver, for $15, $6 flat rate shipping.
http://batteryjunction.com/infl.html

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

fireball920 said:
Ah, they replied!
"As far as I know all of the UV models have the old optic.
All of our white LED models have the new optic.
We have most if not all of the colored LED models with the old optic as
well...
So, the answer is - it depends. :)
Give us a call on Monday afternoon if you'd like and we can go over exactly
what is available."

Well that clears that up. Also if anyone wants the colored LED old X1s the site seems to have them, black or silver, for $15, $6 flat rate shipping.
http://batteryjunction.com/infl.html

LOL - I saw the thread and was just about to clear up that matter when I saw you posted my email reply to you. :)

Here's the deal on the X1UV - it's been discontinued by Inova - when I heard they were discontinuing it I ordered as many as I could get my hands on as we have a steady demand for them...as of 4/4/06 we have about 50 left.

Oh and the shipping isn't flat rate it's weight based but the 1lb rate will be about $5-7 in the lower 48 states so $6 is about right for most customers. :)