Please direct/inform me about fluorescent hand held/ handle carry lights

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came a cross a small colman fluorescent hand light, and forgot how much many yr's ago I really used it and for certain thing's it was better then a small LED light.
Some of the thing's I want to know are sorta every day spec stuff. and to that end didn't know which forum to ask at.

batt life/runtime

bulb life

durabilty

some better brands (what's the "SF" of fluorescent's?)

pro's con's. thanks VDG

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously fluorescents are floodlights; the small handheld ones are perfect for reading maps, etc.

The 4 watt tubes have perhaps the highest efficiency in that wattage range. If your application uses two of them, it would be more efficient to go HID (though that would obviously be a lot more expensive).

The bulbs blacken very quickly when operated at low voltages so a regulator would be ideal when using alkalines or NiMH. Since most of these types of lights are rather cheap in construction, don't expect regulators or even any waterproofing. Thus lithium AA cells are probably best for these, and make the bulbs last a surprisingly long time.

The Philips bulbs are rated 6000 hours/2000 starts, 4100k, 62 CRI, 135 initial lumens at 100 hours and 95 lumens at 2400 hours.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philips also has a "soft white" 3000k, 85CRI version rated 150/120 lumens. I get over 2 hours runtime on 4AA, suggesting somewhat less draw than "4w".

And don't forget CCFL or LED lanterns (like the folding Energizer one) for lower output requirements.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
first off, Robert your photograghy, especially the B&W is absolutely breathtaking! your ability to capture not just the moment but the emotion and life held within the frame of time has floored me.

Your light products look real interesting! the hand held looks very much like
the coleman i have sans red button.The emergency unt look's like a must have for road warrior's.

bfg9000, what class do i ask about these under? lanterns/spotlights?
Also what does CCFL mean? the bulb's mentioned are these recommendation's
for the coleman mentioned. thanks guy's! VDG

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello VDG!

You may want to try checking out that Bayco Cordless Rechargeable 13W CCFL handheld. I believe NASCAR uses them since they endorse it. Great lighting tool that runs for roughly two (2) hours and charges in less than one (1) hour. You may want to be sure it's the newer one with the NASCAR logo on the package. I saw these at the Home Cheapo—er, I mean the Home Depot.

voodoogreg said:
Also what does CCFL mean?
I believe it stands for Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, though I was thinking more of those low-power 2mm tubes on the sides of some multifunction lights. Those have the advantage of not blackening as easily as regular fluorescents.

Many regular spot-type flashlights can also be used in "candle mode" by unscrewing the head, if a flood is only needed rarely. I prefer to use Luxeon flashlights this way for close-up work; otherwise the searing hot spot leaves me seeing spots! Are you looking specifically for a wide flood/area light or a tight spot/focused one?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really looking for anything in particular, i just enjoy the coverage and tint. Is there a basic runtime for said 4AA 4" light's like this coleman?
also the 2mm low power tubes you spoke of, what are those may i ask?
and i will definately check out the Bayco 13 W. VDG