Talk me into a modded MagLite 2C

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering the simple 2C MagLite mod to start out, with a 6-cell xenon bulb, 3 CR123As for power with a PVC tube as a carrier, and a glass lens. How well does this work?
  • Is there a name for this mod?
  • Does it provide a good run at initial brightness, or does it fall off right away like MagLites are known to do?
  • How is the output, compared to a Brinkmann Maxfire LX, for example?
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I'm thinking of this for a glovebox light in a car.

Best wishes,
Dirty Bob

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It was one of the earliest "Hotwire" mods that was talked about here.

As far as a name, to my knowledge it's never had one.

Some folk use M*g 5 cell Krypton in this mod and it's of course a bit brighter than a 6 cell.

I don't know about runtime as I use rechargable stuff.

It would make a very decent car/truck light as the 123s are pretty resistent to heat, cold and self-discharge. I would strongly consider a longer running LED light to compliment it however...

Do it! You don't have much to lose!

And while it will be quite bright, you can try to acquire the goodies to make the 2C a ROP HI which is MIGHTY bright!

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I've made one and use it a lot. I call it a MagStar, corny but I like it. It uses a 5 cell Xenon bulb and two 18500's in a plastic tubing carrier, so I don't have to modify the tailcap at all. Put's out 180 lumen ans is quite usefull, runs a long time and is super durable

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made several, mostly as gifts but have 2 that I use. The only other thing I do is lightly "sputter" the reflector with clear spray acrylic.

Just take the reflector, hold the spray 18" or so away and give it a brief shot. I mean brief. You can always add more but you can't take away.

The very light sputter eases some of the ringiness without diminishing throw too much.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a fun mod, probably more fun if you buy your Lithiums at $1 each on the net so you don't have to worry about cost.

I've got a sim. light built on a 2D using an 8AA adapter, running 7 AA alkalines. 7 batteries at $.20 each is even less than 3 Lithiums at $1 each.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
bjn70 said:
I've got a sim. light built on a 2D using an 8AA adapter, running 7 AA alkalines. 7 batteries at $.20 each is even less than 3 Lithiums at $1 each.

I too have such a light. Running 8AA NimH against a frosted 6 cell Krypton. Safe for use with a stock reflector and lense, and pretty darn bright!

That way you'd only need an 8AA adapter and a decent charger.

Not quite the form factor of a 2C, but cheaper to run by a long shot!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C with 3 123's is one of the reasons I found CPF in the first place.

It's got excellent brightness and is very budget friendly. One of the biggest bangs for the buck out there. Plus, it's reversible!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C with 3 123's is one of the reasons I found CPF in the first place.

As soon as I read about it here I had to build one. I immediately went by Home Depot and bought a 2C Mag.

cavanaug

Newly Enlightened
Well I built one today. I got the 2C and bulbs at Frys and the tubing at lowes.

The KPR113 bulb I bought at Frys instaflashed. ;-(. But the 6 cell xenon magnum bulb works great!!! I love this.

Im afraid though Im going to lose it, my wife tried it and was like "Wow this thing is bright. How come my flashlight (a Gerber LX 3.0) isnt this bright??"

--
John

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREAT thread! I have a 2D cell that I just ordered the 6D Xenon bulbs for.... I was going to get the 2D to 6AA battery holder, but now I just thing I'll rig up 3 CR123s in there. going to need to figure out a way to compensate for the additional width of the D body.

Maglites website says the 6D Xenon puts out 233 lumens...

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A couple of cheap a$$ 2D lights around here have 3x123 and 5 or 6 cell bulbs as it was the ONLY way to make them usable!

1" PVC makes C fit in D. 3/4" CPVC makes 123 fit in C. A little tape around the ends makes everything fit cozy. A bolt with 3 nuts and 2 fender washers (or size as needed) makes a decent spacer.

I had at least one light like this WAY before CPF.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
It works!

Holy cow, is this thing bright! I took the modded Mag 2C and my trusty Inova T1 out on a walk tonight. Where the T1 casts a soft beam into the yard across the street, the new light illuminates the whole front of house and the yard! Indoors, it puts out a "wall of light."

I went with clear tubing from Lowes (which needed several seconds in boiling water to take out its curved, flattened shape from being on a roll), the 6-cell xenon (+ 1 in tailcap), and three CR123As from batterystation.com (they rock! :rock:). Total cost came to about $25 before tax. What a bargain!

[font=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]MagLite 2C flashlight (black) $14.97
1 foot of clear vinyl tubing 1.12
BatteryStation CR-123A cells (3) 3.00
Xenon 6-cell bulbs (2) 5.98
Tax (light, tubing, bulbs) 1.80
-------
Total $26.87

The big, stupid grin on my face: Priceless

[/font]My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Thanks!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Last edited: