Skinny Flashlight Recommendation needed!

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Could someone recommend an inexpensive (less than 100 bucks) flashlight with a .75 inch body diameter? What's your best skinny 2x123 flashlight? LED or incandescent is ok but throw preferred.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a SF G2 or Pelican M6 will be your most bang for the buck with throw. :)

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
Probably a SF G2 or Pelican M6 will be your most bang for the buck with throw. :)

They are both at or over 1-inch in diameter. Too fat for the job (.75" mount). But thanks for the reply.:)

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt if your going to find what your asking for.

Most 123 based lights are one inch in diameter.

My Fire~Fly single 123 Light is 0.80 in diameter. It is the slimmest 123 light I've seen. It has very thin walls as the 123 cell is approx .65 inches in diameter.

Now if your interested my Fenix L2P is 0.80 inches in Diameter and takes two AA cells and is 5.6 inches long.

Another option is a modified Mini-mag body (0.715) with an LED

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2e may be your ticket mine is 0.75 across the flats and 0.81 across the round sides.

Last edited:

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Double_A said:
I doubt if your going to find what your asking for.

Most 123 based lights are one inch in diameter.

My Fire~Fly single 123 Light is 0.80 in diameter. It is the slimmest 123 light I've seen. It has very thin walls as the 123 cell is approx .65 inches in diameter.

Now if your interested my Fenix L2P is 0.80 inches in Diameter and takes two AA cells and is 5.6 inches long.

Another option is a modified Mini-mag body (0.715) with an LED

True, .85 to 1 inch is the norm: E series to say 6p size. I do have a body from BSA that is .75 (indeed thin) but unsuitable because its too proprietary (threading) and 1x123 (a bit weak).

The Fenix is octagonal at .8 and I fear it's the flat sides. Mini-mag is too small without bushings and is under-powered -- even with a 1 Lux.

Last edited:

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Double_A said:
E2e may be your ticket mine is 0.75 across the flats and 0.81 across the round sides.

Indeed the E2 series was my first choice but the round sides blew it for me (I measured them at .85").

.75" is the quasi-standard size for lasers. As this is a double mount (with the laser on the other side), using anything more than .75" on the light side will cause me to add busings to the laser side -- I'm back where I started.

I really don't want to machine anything. I'm just hoping something .75" and over-the-counter will fit and supply good light.

You guys have everything so I figured something might stick out from the collection.

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
nuggett said:
check the Vital Gear bodies

This Vital Gear looks promising! It seems thinner than the E-series bodies by the picture.

I went to Lighthound but could find no diameter measurement for the Vital Gear bodies. They do look more round and not flattened like the E-bodies.

Would anyone have a resource for this information? I could simply pillage an Ex OR KLx head and cap and make it work but I have never even seen one for these Vital Gear bodies, much less took calipers to one. Aleph looks good too but same problem.

Does anyone have a Vital Gear FB2 body to measure diameter (and describe the roundness of the body)? I really appreciate the help. Aleph might work too. Can anyone measure diameter for me? Must be flat and round at .75".

Last edited:

metalhed

Enlightened
One other idea I haven't seen posted.

The Streamlight Scorpion might do the trick if you cut away some of the protective rubber covering. I don't have calipers, but a tape measure eyeball makes me think it might come close. Looks like it might make the .80 requirement...maybe.

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
metalhed said:
One other idea I haven't seen posted.

The Streamlight Scorpion might do the trick if you cut away some of the protective rubber covering. I don't have calipers, but a tape measure eyeball makes me think it might come close. Looks like it might make the .80 requirement...maybe.

Needs to be .75" diameter. I wish the Scorpion would work as it's very easy to find accessories for it. Does anyone have a Vital Gear and/or Aleph body they can measure for me?

Last edited:

metalhed

Enlightened
I dug out a FB1 body I have, and at the narrowest part does appear to come close to your requirements. I don't have a set of calipers so I can't say for sure.

On the FB1, the narrow section is only about 3/8 inch in width, totally round with no flat area. However on the FB2 this area seems much wider (in terms of body length.)

Personally, I think it would work for your application (the FB2.)

Last edited:

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
You can email lighthound.com
He's really helpful

I sent an e-mail to the Lighthound e-mail link on their website; it's probably the general mailbox as I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm going to drop a thread in the mod area (eventhough this didn't start this way). Anyone else have the caliper diameter of the mountable area of a Vital Gear FB2 body?

Last edited:

JJohn

Enlightened
shotgun said:
Could someone recommend an inexpensive flashlight with a .75 inch body diameter? What's your best skinny 2x123 flashlight? LED or incandescent is ok but throw preferred.

You may have to go with a two AA unit. I have never seen anything under.8" in a 2X123

John