new guy questions.....

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I've been a lurker for some time, but finally pulled the trigger and registered. I've been a flashlight afficionado for most of my life. My Grandfather loved the Eveready "Captain" lights (I think that's what they were....the chrome finish), and my Dad collected every flashlight that Radio Shack was giving away for years.

I've had battery lanterns, pen lights (literally pens), pocket lights, maglites, diving lights etc., but never anything outside of a casual and utilitarian interest.

With the invention of "new" technology, specifically LED's, I've become more interested in flashlights from a collector's standpoint, as well as utilitarian.

My first questions to the members of this forum concern a couple of items of this new technology. I recently purchased a wholesale lot of 9 led AAA lights for a very reasonable price from an eBay vendor. Upon inspection, I found them to be of high quality, exceptional brightness (in comparison to my mini maglites-both AA and AAA) and because of their compact size; extremely useful. I was bitten by the bug! Conquently, I purchased three 3 watt MXDL AAA lights from another eBay seller. One had intermittent operation, and after disassembly, I discovered cold solder joints the culprit. Otherwise, the little 3 watters provide exceptional white bright light previously unknown to me. I've also acquired a 1 watt that presents a less than comparable spot and spill beam when compared to the 3 watters.

I am interested in getting some lights that run on AA batteries, are still compact, provide bright white light with some throw and spill. These lights will be used everyday for work, auto maintenance, hunting, and fishing. I want something to keep in a tackle box, seperate from batteries, that will provide reliable service when called upon. I'm also not interested in spending a lot of money. With so many lights ruined due to battery corrosion over the years, I don't want to make this purchase an investment. I'm looking for quality products at a fair price.

I noticed someone here selling the Fenix lights. Are the Fenix L1P and L2P close to my imported 3 watters in brightness? I've also read about switch issues; is this really a major concern? What other lights would serve my purposes, with a maximum price comparable to what the Fenix' sale price is?

And, incidentally, I'm not at all put off by Country of Origin. Imported products that perform are absolutely fine by me.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne

PS What is EDC?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, lightningbug! Hold onto your wallet, buy both, and enjoy your stay! Hope to see you around often.

As far as I know, there are no lights that match Fenix's price point and usage of alkaline AA's, which is what makes them so popular around here. For about $35, they are definitely great deals for the money -- a truly quality product at an affordable price.

Switch issues seem to be mostly with the older switches -- the "yellow-button" switches are less reliable than the newer red ones that come on all new Fenixes, and because they are of the "reverse clicky" style, they are simple and reliable. Should they fail, it's a piece of cake to open it up and solder a bypass to make the Fenix have a twisty switch instead, and it'll work fine.

I don't know about comparing the Fenix to the MXDL lights; never had MXDL. The Fenixes are, however, very capable little lights, and very white. Using a resistor to lower the output of my Fenix L1P, I find that it has a greenish bluish tint, but it's almost impossible to notice at its full output. I have heard of very little tint variation on the Fenix L1P -- the tints are very white.

Fenix-store.com is a great place to buy the lights; 4sevens from CPF runs it.

(EDC is an acronym for "every day carry".)

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Lightningbug! One of our mottos is, Watch Your Wallet! I think the other is, Buy Both. You'll see.

I'll suggest the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon as a great, general purpose LED light - takes 4AAs. About $25 street price. Don't confuse it with the 4AA Streamlight with 7 small LEDs. I'm sure you'll get many other good suggestions.

EDC means Every Day Carry - a light you'll have with you everyday.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing I would do since by your post it sounds like you have multiple Minimags, in both AAA and AA is buy a few MJLED led, or other Minimag upgrades from Lighthound and mod your minimags, you will be astounded at the increase in battery life and even better brightness , some are much brighter from what I understand.

Then I would decide what level of battery life/brightness you are willing to live within one AA cell for EDC pocket carry. The Fenix is very bright, but in my opinion only, the battery life is lousy which is why I do not have one, BUT THEY ARE GREAT Lights if you do not mind the short battery life. In that size I prefer the Inova X1 new version for a one AA cell EDC carry.

Then I would go from there and look at the Inova Radiant series lights, Streamlight, Fenix etc. and others for multiple AA cell use.

A great place to start investigating lights is Flashlight reviews

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/

And another is the LED museum:

http://www.ledmuseum.org/

Both give realistic, accurate and well put out reviews of many lights.

BTW, welcome to CPF :)

Last edited:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I do have a Minimag AA converted to a Nite-Ize system with their tailcap switch and LEDs.

I may convert the AAA minimags to the SMJLD.

I'm still interested in single cell pocket lights, however. Something like the Fenix or Arc or similar. But I'm really unwilling to pay big bucks.

I saw a custom light that uses an A23 12V battery and a 10mm LED. The price is right, but I'm a bit leary with an unknown commodity.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally really like the Inova X1 new version for my daily pocket carry, it is plenty bright enough with a great runtime for $20 at Target.

There is also the Nuwai single cell AAA and single AA pocket lights, but I have never seen one used to I cannot say anything about them but they seem a bit large for single cell lights but perhaps that is illusion in pics I have seen. Here is alink where they have both. Never bought from the seller so I would ask here before buying.

http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/specials.html

As far as the custom light, perhaps someone here knows the seller or maker, I would ask around and find out.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix is not really what I'd consider "big bucks," especially since for $35 you're getting a light that is unique, as I've said before -- and there's no cheaper light like it. :shrug:

I'll second the suggestion on the reflectored Inova X1 -- it's got a very similar output to the Arc AAA but bigger and with longer runtime.

Another good choice, also available at Target, is the River Rock 2AAA for only $10. I was pleasantly surprised with its brightness, and it is pretty nice quality. I gave it to my mom, though, because she was starting to eye my Fenix. Dad liked it too, so I gave him one as well. I'm thinking of picking up another for myself, but I have a few other purchases in mind as well...

The Nuwai 1xAAA is the single celled version of the River Rock (or rather, the RR is the 2-cell version of the Nuwai) and is sold by LED_Experimenter here. I forget how much he charges.

Again another suggestion at Target -- the Brinkmann Maxfire LX. I have yet to purchase one, but its performance has been compared to the Surefire G2 again and again by many CPFers. It's only $16, and uses lithium 123's, which you can purchase online at Amondotech.com or Batterystation.com for $1 each.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of the RR 2AA lights, and was impressed with its overall quality, but hated the searchlight type beam. I also had a Garrity Aluminum that ran on 3AAA, but it had the same Nichia LED with a magnifier lens. I prefer lights with decent corona along with the spot to give me plenty of flood. I find the pinpoint lights aren't much good for general use.

Do the Nuwai lights use Nichia LEDs with a magnifier lens?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey LB, welcome to CPF!

I'd like to put in another vote for the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. I EDC this light in fluorescent yellow. While the manufacturer doesn't recommend anything but alkalines, it'll run happily on lithiums and rechargeables too. Lithiums would be the ticket for your stash lights. Many would find it too large for EDC, but I don't mind it and love the ~5 hour regulated run time on NIMH batteries. It's quite waterproof, I've dropped mine into a swimming pool with no problems. Streamlight told me in an email that while the light isn't dive rated, it is waterproof to between 50 and 100 feet. A wrap of grip tape helps when my hands are wet or oily.

Cheers! :buddies: