what can i do with my surefire m3?

s.duff

Enlightened
i have an older surefire m3 without the cb, and though it has served me well and i do like it alot, im really intrigued by all of the custom/mod/upgrades that i have seen on the board. so what can i do with my light to hot rod it a bit? i know that i could get a turbo head, or even an l6 head, and i just saw a thread with a link to a battery extender, but are there any other must have mods that you guys can recommend or suggest? thanks

nzgunnie

Enlightened
you could get the turbo head and the battery extender, then put in a MN61 HOLA from the M4 and really chew through those CR123s! Or you could stick to the MN60 LOLA from the M4 and get an hours run time at 225 lumens.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great light to run on rechargeable li-ions. I believe 2x 600s Pilas and the free Pila spring from JS Burlys will do the trick. :)

s.duff

Enlightened
leukos said:
It's a great light to run on rechargeable li-ions. I believe 2x 600s Pilas and the free Pila spring from JS Burlys will do the trick. :)
sorry for sounding ignorant about this, but how will using rechargeable batteries effect the light? does it create a different intensity? rechargeables sound pretty cool, but i never really gave them much though. thanks

rikvee

Enlightened
rechargeable Li-Ion batteries have a flatter discharge-curve, so the light intensity stays more even, as if it was regulated (a feat normally easier achieved with leds).
9V lights are the ideal candidate for Li-Ions, because a pair of those can have the same voltage as 3 123A cells, meaning you can still use the same globe, enjoying guilt-free lumens while keeping a set of standard Lithium 123A's as a backup....

Last edited:

s.duff

Enlightened
do you guys think it's worth it to pick up a kl6 or the kt4?

seattlite

Enlightened
s.duff said:
do you guys think it's worth it to pick up a kl6 or the kt4?
A KT4 and a W-binned Turbohead module like the one showed below, IMHO, would be a better option. More expensive, than a KL6, but cooler looking and possibly brighter(depending on the SF LED lottery):

WX1S_XX1T_2.jpg

Richard