SF KL-4 head with TIR Lens?

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am planning on getting a KL-4 head for my plainclothes work light. I know it can do the job up close for defensive purposes but will likely lack the further out you go. I have a KL-1 now and like the beam pattern for my needs however it needs more power for work. So here are my questions:

1 - has anyone modded a KL-1 head to take a 5W LED?

2 - has anyone modded a KL-4 head to take a TIR lens?

3 - can either one of the above be done with a high level of certainty of being successful with out destroying an expensive KL head(s).

Al, this sounds like something you may have already seen or heard of?

TIA

Boltgun

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire E-Series bezel featuring a LuxeonV behind a TIR lens. It's not available and never will be afaik.

Whether somebody can 'create' one by modifying a KL4 and KL1 I don't know.

BTW, has anybody seen this photo on PK-E?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boltgun said:
1 - has anyone modded a KL-1 head to take a 5W LED?

2 - has anyone modded a KL-4 head to take a TIR lens?

3 - can either one of the above be done with a high level of certainty of being successful with out destroying an expensive KL head(s).

Al, this sounds like something you may have already seen or heard of?

TIA

Boltgun

Hi Boltgun,

I've modded a KL-1 to take a 5W lux several times (six times according to my records :D) and did it without screwing up a single one. This was with the first gen KL-1's. As far as the TIR lens, I could be wrong (most likely am :shrug: ) but I think the TIR is optimized for a single die and not the quad die of the lux V. I'd love to be able to obtain one of those TIR optics to play around with. I have a Lux 5 right here waiting for experimentation.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
SureFire E-Series bezel featuring a LuxeonV behind a TIR lens. It's not available and never will be afaik.

Whether somebody can 'create' one by modifying a KL4 and KL1 I don't know.

BTW, has anybody seen this photo on PK-E?

You need to change your handle to "ol'faithful"...that didnt take you long Mate....ok are you saying that one was made as a prototype? Do you have or have you seen such prototype?

If someone can mod one, what are the drawbacks, will the extra heat reduce the life of the TIR lens?

TIA

Boltgun

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
Hi Boltgun,

I've modded a KL-1 to take a 5W lux several times (six times according to my records :D) and did it without screwing up a single one. This was with the first gen KL-1's. As far as the TIR lens, I could be wrong (most likely am :shrug: ) but I think the TIR is optimized for a single die and not the quad die of the lux V. I'd love to be able to obtain one of those TIR optics to play around with. I have a Lux 5 right here waiting for experimentation.

Alright, I will wait and see how many more replies/much more info is forthcoming and may have to get my KL-1 (second gen) modded then. if I go the Mod route, what is the best LuxV to go with? I want super white and bright. Also what style am I looking for?

Boltgun

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's not a proto-type - just not available.
(Shelby has a proto-type... See if you can find it on PK-E)

As to who has got one... does nobody dig around on PK-E or for that matter my own torch emporium galleries??

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
It's not a proto-type - just not available.
(Shelby has a proto-type... See if you can find it on PK-E)

As to who has got one... does nobody dig around on PK-E or for that matter my own torch emporium galleries??

Hadnt been to your site in a while...I just checked it out...good reference pics..Like the one's of Mitsi too!

I will look at Paul's also.

Boltgun

Size15's

Flashaholic
:shrug:

No. It's easy to tell the difference - this is an X200A bezel transplated, and this isn't. See?

I hope this inspires somebody to attempt to modify a SureFire bezel so a TIR optic and LuxeonV are combined. I'm not saying it'll be easy or possible I think it's well worth attempting.

Al

Latest posts