Teaser..........Review coming of PILA 550 lumen 12v lamp

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I can't wait to read this one. Is it possible to fit the lamp into the 45mm W/E bezel and/or the turbo head? I love this note on the website: [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]HEAT WARNING: Xenon 12V / 550 lumens lamp produces excessive heat and should not be operated continuously for over 5 minutes because of overheating of CR123A lithium batteries. Danger of explosion and skin burns:drool:[/font]

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
550 lumens for 40 minutes w/4CR123as and an hour with 2 Pilas? Holy (beep)!

According to the link posted when you use the 2 Pilas, the output drops to 250 lumens. It is only 550 lumens on 4CR123.

The lumen output is much less when using the 2 Pilas vs. using CR123.

Thanks

Curtis.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those output numbers just don't seem right!!

Thats the same light production that an M6 lamp makes on 6 123's for only 20 minutes!!

Either Pila has figured out a way to double the efficiency of the lamp, or somethings up!

Assuming everything else is equal, the lamp uses up a 1300 MaH cell in 40 minutes, so it is pulling 1.95 amps, thats less than half the draw of the M6 lamp.

How do you increase voltage by a third, and cut draw in half, and still produce the same amount of light?

Bill

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
bwaites said:
How do you increase voltage by a third, and cut draw in half, and still produce the same amount of light?
Bill
Hm, there are some explanations:
  • Use a thinner filament.
  • Talk about bulb lumens, not torch lumens.
  • Talk about peak brightness on fresh batteries and not about brightness on half depleted batteries.
Combine at will...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that, but if you reduce filament thickness, you REALLY reduce lifespan and the Surefires are rated at only 20-25 hours as it is.

I'm so used to torch lumens, though, that 550 would be about 350 out the front, and that is about what an M4 produces, so I guess it is comparable.

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
i think we all have to agree though- that SF is using more conservative lamp designs to improve durability, and produce more consistant results from lamp to lamp. Whereas other companies are pushing the limits of efficiancies, but are producing probably a less durable filament and/or less predictable lifespan.

The 12V digilight LA, was tested by someone around here (think it may have been Paul, can't remember atm) to be about 226 lumens (as advertised), and it only pulls about 0.9A. ~21L/W, compared to the ~3.7+A draw of the M6LOLA- litterally, half as efficiant (around 10L/W)...

It's all about tradeoffs... Personally I think I would prefer to carry a spare LA, then carry 2-3x as many batteries to accomplish the same thing.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
mdocod said:
It's all about tradeoffs
Nah. I would bet to say it is more about advertising. I think chrwe has it right when he said:

# Talk about bulb lumens, not torch lumens.
# Talk about peak brightness on fresh batteries and not about brightness on half depleted batteries.

I hope that the above is incorrect but I am doubtful.

mdocod

Flashaholic
People around here have already discovered that the Digilight DRB-12VHP, when they get the actual high-efficiancy version, is brighter than a surefire P91, and uses significantly less power. (around 10-12W, compared to the P91 at over 15W)...

not to mention, almost every other 9V surefire P type lamp available through other sources, is brighter and whiter than the stock P90 that comes with a Surefire. (HP G90, DRB-9VHP, Wolf Eyes D26, etc)..

Don't take it the wrong way- I'm not meaning to sound like a Surfire hater, I just think their lamps seem a bit dated based on comparisons I have read around here. I should also mention, that I have a P91 on the way from surefire (should be here tomaro) that I intend to use in my 2x17670 light, because it is still the king of output for 9V tactical lamps. (to heck with runtime, I want more lumens!)

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't have a digicam, I will say the glass bulb and the filiment are huge.
Light ouput on 4x123 primry cells just smokes the Wolf-Eyes D36/12v (new version).

More to come :whistle:

WhiteHot

Enlightened
mdocod said:
Don't take it the wrong way- I'm not meaning to sound like a Surfire hater, I just think their lamps seem a bit dated based

Dont get me wrong either ;) I am not a huge surefire proponent. I just think it is pretty well accepted that they are conservative (accurate?) with their output ratings. I have no doubt that there are more efficient bulbs out there. Just dont expect M6 output.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
madecov if you happen to have the Raider 9D bezel can you tell me if this 12 volt assembly will fit in the Wolf-Eyes bezel? I know that W/E and Pila are now very different looking lights however I am curious if any of their parts are interchangeable...thanks

Also have you tried to power it using 3 rechargeable 123 cells?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
madecov said:
While I don't have a digicam, I will say the glass bulb and the filiment are huge.
Light ouput on 4x123 primry cells just smokes the Wolf-Eyes D36/12v (new version).

More to come :whistle:

You're killing us here. Need more info, please!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila does not recommend using this lamp in the old GL4 as heat is an issue. I have not tried it in the older GL4/M90 body.

The new Pila lamps use an outer spring like Surefire, but it can be snapped on and off so the 9v (26) lamp nd the 2 new 12v lamps (36) can fit the older models. Batteries also now load in the traditional + towards the lamp unless the outer contact spring is removed, then it's back to negative towards the lamp.

The new 550 lumen lamp has an incredible amount of light and throw. It has a huge side spill and a very large and white hot spot. at 40-50 yards nothing can hide. It blows away the 12v D36 from W-E. I have only used it using primary cells at this time but it lights up like nothing I have ever seen. The lamps use machined aluminum reflector housings with machined heat sinks in the back of the reflector, the old style lamps use some type of MIM (metal injection modling) or sintered ceramic. I have dropped older lights and the reflectors have cracked, this can not happen in a machined Aluminum reflector. The 300 lumen lamp is much the same as the other but it can be used in the older model. There is now a major difference between the two companies. Batteries are no longer re-badged W-E batteries. On my next day off I will be writing a review of the GL4 as a complete system, may be a while till it posts as I want to get it right.

Last edited:

Latest posts