Suggestions please....

Rustam Bana

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

It's my first post on CPF and I hope you would be able to suggest a flashlight having the following parameters.

1) 3 or 5 watt LED.
2) Regulated power.
3) Powered by no more than two CR 123A cells.
4) Minimum of 30 lumens.
5) 2 hours minimum runtime at full brightness.
6) Need a flawless white beam with the bias towards throw rather than flood.
7) Needs to illuminate objects 100 yards away if not more.
8) Should be robust and waterproof/water resistant.
9) For use primarily in forests and brush.
10) Dimmer optional.
11) Would prefer to stay within $100.00
12) I prefer a 'clicky' to a 'twisty'.

I would also be grateful if you could recommend a Luxeon type LED for a 2AA Maglite, 2D Maglite and 6D Maglite or would you recommend that I wait until Maglite introduces it's LED series.

Thanks and best wishes.

Rustam

P.S.: I would also be grateful if you would recommend a few good retailers for the above.

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
Surefire G2, with a BOG (or G&P) 3 watt LED drop in. Total about $75. 100 yards can be potentially be seen, but not too bright. It is more throw, reasonable flood, and probably 50 lumens or so. Over 2 hours run time, 2 x CR123. No low power option.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Rustam Bana!

The HDS EDC Basic 42 GT or EDC Ultimate 60 GT with the optional 2x123 tailcap sounds pretty close to what you want -- 42 or 60 lumens, ~2 hour runtime (on 2x123), 3 watt Luxeon, fully regulated, water resistant, and uses a clicky.

But it does not have the throw of 100 yards that you want (frankly, I think this is impractical to ask of a handheld light -- for that, you want a spotlight), and it is over your budget by $40-90.

RigMedic

Newly Enlightened
Where can one get one of those G&P or BOG 3-watt drops in for a SF G2? Sounds like something I'd like to try...Is this a simple drop-in mod or is there more involved? Thanks in advance...

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklight_2l.htm

A good buy here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007A5XKA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I run mine on R123 rechargeable cells, although Streamlight might not recommend it. I've had excellent luck with this set-up, though, and get a little over an hour on high with full brightness. According to the runtime charts in Quickbeam's review, you'll get around 1 hr. 45 min. on primary cells at full output on high.

It's an excellent thrower, and I'd say 300 ft. is realistic (it won't be real bright at that distance, but you'll make out shapes, etc.). Good sidespill, too. 2-level feature is handy. Beam is white and beautiful. Build quality is very good.

Good luck.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
VB-16 (see the dealers corner) and a couple of 18650 Li-ion rechargeables. Great runtime free operation because of rechargeables, can still use cr123s in a pinch, has different light levels; from bright to very dim and will throw as well as most lights fitting your needs. And it is well below your price limit even with 2 18650s and a charger.

100 meters is very far away to light up with a small flashlight. You might want to reconsider that distance...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rustam Bana said:
Thank you for all the suggestions so far.

Any particular reason for not recommending the Inova T3?

Best wishes.

Rustam

Just the lack of a dimmer/two-stage output. Otherwise it's a nice light, but a lot of people here aren't that happy with the beam from the optic.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
The Inova T3 is a nice, robust light, but it'll be pretty low down on the list of your other requirements, primarily on light output and throw. Some of the other lights suggested in this thread will do better.

First, for the Mag LED dropins, the Diamond Mag LED dropins might be what you're looking for. According to the throw/output chart on flashlightreviews.com, sorting by throw brings up the Mag with a Diamond 3W dropin as among the best throwers among those lights reviewed. and for about 30 bucks(?) or so, this is probably the most cost-efficient solution. Diamond is also coming out with K2 emitters which should perform even better, though I don't know if they have them in white yet (check Diamond's CPF thread here). Mag's LED modules look interesting, and have "thermal management" but i haven't looked close enough to form an opinion. and as you mentioned, they don't seem to be out yet?

The light NoFair suggested, the VB-16 is also a very good option and possibly among the best, given your requirement of 2 CR123 cells. It can use a variety of configurations, from 1CR123 (given the right body) to 2RCR123s and everything inbetween. Best part is that it can use the 18650 cells which will give you much longer runtimes. it is also buck/boost regulated, and drives a LuxIII at 4w on its highest setting. Best part is it's below $100, and there is a CPF special edition of it here. Review is here.

strictly speaking on throw, it's unlikely you're gonna find anything that's a LED handheld that's gonna hit 100 yards with a useful amount of light. Hitting even 50 yards with useful light's a bit optimistic with a single LuxIII. VTUnderground's suggestion, the Pelican M6 is a good choice though. It's regulated up to 1h52m to 50%, throws pretty well according to flashlightreviews' charts, and is pretty robust, but is slightly over your budget at $137.95 MSRP.

most of these are reviewed at flashlightreviews.com, which is a great place for info to make comparisons =)

Rustam Bana

Newly Enlightened
Somy Nex,

Thanks for the links. I will have a look at them later on.

Incidentally, the Pelican M6 2390 will be available for $76.00 from one of the dealers on CPF. Happened to see his post last night. If I am not mistaken, Brightguy sells them for $95.00

Is there a good choice of flashlights in Malayasia? If so, could you give me the details of a few reputed shops please.

Regards.

Rustam

Rustam Bana

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Icebreak. I realise how trying the game of 20 Questions can get for experienced members who have to field such questions regularly.

Rustam

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Many of the links are to flashlightreviews.com, which is run by our valued member, Quickbeam =) great source for comparable info on a whole range of lights :thumbsup: other good review sites are The LED Museum (www.ledmuseum.org) and cones stuff (cones-stuff.co.uk)

Unfortunately not that great a choice of flashlights in my particular location, although there might be more in other cities. I usually purchase online and in B/S/T here, and I can recommend going to the "dealers section" and looking at the CPF Specials thread there. A link to this is also in Carrot's signature. There are some great dealers there, and they all give special discounts/prices to CPF members, accessible from that thread. They are all great dealers, but the ones which I have personally dealt with, with great results include OpticsHQ and Lighthound, both of which ship internationally and with great customer service :thumbsup:

hope this helps, best of luck in your search and do keep us posted on the results! =)

cheers,

Rustam Bana said:
Somy Nex,

Thanks for the links. I will have a look at them later on.

Incidentally, the Pelican M6 2390 will be available for $76.00 from one of the dealers on CPF. Happened to see his post last night. If I am not mistaken, Brightguy sells them for $95.00

Is there a good choice of flashlights in Malayasia? If so, could you give me the details of a few reputed shops please.

Regards.

Rustam

Latest posts