Fenix L2P back!

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened
My L2P has quit! It flickered a few times last night as I was working in the garage, now it won't light at all. The switch clicks fine, I've had it as apart as I want to go (it's a red switch,) and now I'm stuck. :awman: I sprayed it with contact cleaner, no help. The spot in the head though, where the battery makes contact, had sort of a glob of solder that seems like it's worn where the battery touches, and it's been dropped a few times. I'm wondering if I restored that solder glob, it that would do it?
I'm a bit bummed, looking at some of the threads on the L1P. This light is only on its 2nd set of batteries!

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix L2P Finis!

does it light with a wire from the battery tube to negative of the battery (to rule out the switch)?

Also make sure the head is screwed on tight. A new L1P of mine I unsrewed the tailcap, but endup unscrewing the head some and it flickered and went out. I tightned the head and it was fine then.

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks gentlemen- I forget that we're dealing with an electric circuit here, not magic. I do have a multimeter, and a wire. The head is screwed on tight, is mine?

Last edited:

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened

OK, So I'm not as bright as I thought I was.
Probe it where exactly with the multimeter? I put a wire from the tube (kinda stuffed it in alongside the batt.) and touched the neg. terminal: on my RR 2AAA, light! on my L2P, no light. If I do the same thing with the meter, nothing much happens w/ either light. the numbers stay around zero. A few times as I started to screw the tailcap back on, I got it to light momentarily, once it stayed on as long as I held the threads against the tube end

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take the wire and touch the bottom negative end of the battery with the other side touching the bare aluminum end of the body. If it lights, your switch is toast.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

switch may not be toast, but would be the cuplrit. A cold/broken solder joint, or needs to be tighted down inside the cap could fix it.

Sounds like an issue with grounding in the head. Perhaps unscrew the head, inspect and clean the surfaces, re-tighten down well, then see...

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened

sorry for hearing the l2p finish...

the reason for using l1p because it is run by aax1 for 1w .
but for l2p,i prefer use high quality longbow eco (aax2),althiugh eco 's price is higher .

NickelPlate

Enlightened

Have you tried another set of batteries? One thing that happened with mine was that I dropped it and the impact caused the battery ends to be physically compressed enough that they weren't making good contact, strange but true.

Dave

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened

Well, other batteries tried, it does not light with a wire bypassing the switch. Head cleaned and inspected, no help. Emailed Fenix, they suggest return to dealer, so, that's my next step. Will return to SL Jr. Lux for worklight. Hey, wait- Fenix...Phoenix...maybe if I connect it to 9 volts, it'll resurrect itself!
Fenix-schmenix. And I have a P1 ordered, too...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. Didn't by chance test the head off of the body directly with 1.5v or 3.0volts? That would rule out a contact issue and not the circuit.

I'm going to have to take off the head of my new L1P because everytime I change the battery, no light. I loosen the head un-twisting the tailcap. Giong to see if I can't clean it up some and see if it will tighten down more, maybe put some loc-tite on the head. The new o-rings in the tail cap give the tail cap some good resistance and I end up holding onto the head and it untwists too!

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened

UPDATE: Thanks to CPFers for the helpful ideas- Light sent to John at Lighthound today, can't wait to get it back. :popcorn: ( I always wanted to use the popcorn guy! Now, when I get my L2P back, that will ROCK, and I'll use the Rockin' guy! :rock:

jezzyp

Enlightened

Unscrew the head & tail, turn round the middle barrel and put back together. I found on the L1P that if the centre bit is upside down it won't light!

heathah

Newly Enlightened

jezzyp said:
Unscrew the head & tail, turn round the middle barrel and put back together. I found on the L1P that if the centre bit is upside down it won't light!

Well, that explains something to me. I just got another L1P and L2P from Lighthound today and was swapping the L2p head on the L1p and it wouldn't light. I removed them, did a little swapping around (including flipping the center tube) and it finally worked. I've been playing with it off and on now for a couple hours and it hasn't caused me one more problem. Anyone know why the center tube orientation matters?

greenLED

Flashaholic

heathah said:
Anyone know why the center tube orientation matters?
Probably some tight tolerances/differences that allow proper fit for the tailcap and the head.

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix L2P Resurrected!

My faithful L2P is on its way back. John at Lighthound said "you were right, it was the head." I don't know that I was right, i just knew it was broke! But, I'll be glad to have it back- I have a CR123 body on the way!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if the L2P is set up the same, but on the L1P, it's very sensitive to any debris on the postive battery contact.

It has a flat contact surface, with no raised nib or anything, so if there's the slightest amount of non-conductive gunk in between it and the battery, it won't light up.
There's no wiping action on it when you put the tailcap on and off, so you just have to make sure it's clean to begin with.

It had me puzzled at first when I swapped a battery to test and it failed to light up at all, and putting the original battery back in just emitted a large pool of dark. All the talk about switch problems had me looking at that first, but it was quickly apparent that it was fine.

A few swipes with a cotton swab lightly dampened with alcohol, and all was fine once again-

It's become my favorite light, impressive how it can eke out significant light even from a nearly dead alkaline cell, which would only emit a faint glow from my X1's.

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened

NickelPlate said:
One thing that happened with mine was that I dropped it and the impact caused the battery ends to be physically compressed enough that they weren't making good contact, strange but true.

Dave

I had this happen two times with lithium batteries while using a CMG Infinity. The battery just quit, never to work in the Infinity again, but it worked fine in my fenix. Go figure!

Are the lithiums prone to getting douched like this?