2D NIMH Quad-Lux K2 Maglite Mod-400 to 500 Lumens!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title pretty much sums it up. I can use 4 of my drivers set to draw 2.5 amps each from two 12 Ah NIMH D cells for a total current draw of 10 amps from the cells. Driving four K-2 luxes, this brute will pump out around 400 to 500 lumens for over an hour. 2D form factor using only 2 cells, and blinding output. Oh, and yes, that's 20 watts of high power LED light. The output curve will look similiar to the output curve of my L2P mod except 5-6 times brighter.

I will have this mod done as soon as I get the K-2's from 4sevens.

Flash007

Enlightened
Very interesting indeed.

But I prefer to wait to do a comparison between K2's and LuxIII.

4 K2's is more interesting than 3 LuxIII when looking the datasheet, no doubt.
But we must wait a little and see wich type of K2's are coming in the market (U-bin, V-bin, tint and other caracteristics).

But 480 lumens typical in a 2D mag, current regulated for one hour is like a dream for me !

wquiles

Flashaholic
Sounds like a neat project. I would only be worried about the heat aspect. From experience, an overdriven WX1T 5W LED running from 6AA NiMH cells (also in a 2D) at 1.5Amps (I think it was about 12-13Watts) was way too hot to hold after 10 minutes or so. You are talking here about 20 Watts, once you have all of that heat in this confined space you will loose lumen output and this could also hurt LED's life. Is there a way to dimm this small monster to help cope with the heat?

Will

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Sounds like a neat project. I would only be worried about the heat aspect. From experience, an overdriven WX1T 5W LED running from 6AA NiMH cells (also in a 2D) at 1.5Amps (I think it was about 12-13Watts) was way too hot to hold after 10 minutes or so. You are talking here about 20 Watts, once you have all of that heat in this confined space you will loose lumen output and this could also hurt LED's life. Is there a way to dimm this small monster to help cope with the heat?

Will

The heat is definately a concern. If the 2D mag host doesn't work out, I wonder if ElectroLumens has a good solution. His heat-sink fin integration would do wonders for the heat disipation. I may just stick with a lower power output, but still use the K-2's if they prove to be more efficient than Lux III's at the same current drive.

Last edited: