Tightening the spot on an X1?

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I've been lurking here for a month or so, hoping in that time I'd eventually figure out what all of you were talking about and I've decided to give up! Most of the tech stuff you're saying leaves me completely confused but thats okay. I don't mind being one of the "special children." To tell you a little about myself, I've got a few "good" flashlights and would like to have more. I have four, five, I don't know, maybe six Maglites of different sizes, an Inova X5, a new model X1, and an old, slightly battered but still very usable Surefire 6Z. So yes, I do appreciate good lights but I'm certainly no "techy" with them (Perhaps that will change here.)

I do have a question though, it may even develop into a series of questions before its over, so please bear with me and please realize, if you start laying tech talk on me, I'm lost before we start.

Concerning the Inova X1

I've noticed the general consensus here seems to be that the X1 is a better light in a "flood" configuration than in a "Spot." (Correct me if I've got the wrong impression) First, why is that? I've always prefered a tight, relatively bright spot.

Toward that end, I discovered that placing a small 10x magnifying lens in front of the flat glass lens of the X1 narrows the entire beam by approx 50% and also visibly brightens the "hot spot" in the middle. I've also noticed that moving this 10x lens further forward in relation to the bulb dramatically decreases the width of the beam and creates a hot spot so well defined, the elements of the LED actually cast a sharply defined shadow on the wall.

I haven't seen anything that says one way or the other, as a newby basic member, do I have pic posting priviledges? If so, I can post some beamshots to show what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the biggy question of the post is this. Would it be practical to have an "almost" correct size 10x lens cut down to the proper dimensions to replace the flat one?

If so, do you think the result would be desirable or am I woofing up the wrong tree?

Is there an easier way to accomplish what I want to do? (Create a tighter/brigher spot in my X1)

Thanks, I'll now sit back and hope one of you MIT/JPL type flashlight scientists have all the answers and can put them in terms a poor old layman can understand.

:)

carrot

Flashaholic
Woof, woof.

Welcome to CPF, Buster Bodine! Hang onto your wallet and remember to buy both. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I don't know enough about lenses to answer your original question... but the general consensus on CPF about lenses seem to be that reflectors are much better than lenses, something I never understood, since lenses offer a way to make certain beam characteristics that cannot be done easily with a reflector, such as the "spot" beam you mentioned.

As for pictures, CPF does not host any pictures aside from avatars for its users. You can use http://imageshack.us or any number of other image hosting sites, such as Flickr or Photobucket.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Buster Bodine,

Welcome to CPF! :)

As for X1, I don't know(at the least I am never aware of) there is a common consensus about CPF liking the flood of X1 over 'spot'...but for FYI, X1 is now coming out with a new version which it will host a reflector and clear lens in place of the original optics used. And I would suggest to check out the reviews from our very own Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com.

As for optical wares used(reflector vs optics) for flashlight, I think it is always a personal choice and sometimes people might choose to use either one depending on situation. Personally, I prefer a well balanced of throw/spill reflector for my flashlights. But that is just my 2 cents.

Back to X1, though the lens looks flat from the front, it is actually a collimating lens which will project the beam into a round shape of pattern. And different collimating optic/lens, depending on its degree of angle, will project the light into tighter or wider cone of light.

It is a good observation that by putting another optic in front of X1 will give you different beam shot. And that is the same reason why we see flashlight makers sometimes come out with diffuser for their flashlight or flashaholics sometimes modify their light with different optics/reflector to a desired beam pattern. For my use, I often found the tight 'spot' of light from a collimating lens less desirable since I can only see what the 'spot' highlights and nothing else...and a total 'flood' will do me no good either since I can only see my immediate surrounding and cannot see afar. And that is why I said my personal favorite is a good reflector with good 'throw/spill' balance, so I could see clearly at what the hotspot highlights while having enough light around for my periphiral vision to work. YMMV. :)

Niteowl

Enlightened
Buster Bodine said:
.........Most of the tech stuff you're saying leaves me completely confused but thats okay. I don't mind being one of the "special children."...........Concerning the Inova X1.......I've always prefered a tight, relatively bright spot.

Welcome to CPF!

I'm right with you on your first statement. You'll eventually pick up some knowledge hanging out here long enough. My brain's just about at it's saturation point though.

I just picked up a X1 v.1 (spot). The beam is outstanding as far as "spot" beams. It actually remindes me of a "stage spotlight" the way it looks. It far exceeded my expectations. Some don't like it because there's NO spill and won't see obstacles closer to you.

You might want to find an older version instead of trying to alter what you have. Some like the challenge of the mod, so may you.

To my great dissapointment, I'm taking my X1 back due to really poor quality control on the tailcaps part. Hope I can find another v.1 as I really like the spot light effect.

Good luck on your end!

Last edited:

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's an amazing amount of information for one simple question, thanks much!

Greenlight, WHY is it unusual? All I know about flashlights is that they make it much easier to see in the dark and that like in all things, in the long run, it's always cheaper to buy the best equipment you can afford.

Coincidentally, we just got the power back on after being blacked out since about noon today and I was in all my glory. Coleman Northstar propane lantern for room lighting, the X5 for my wife's personal needs, a Surefire and the X1 for my use, and we were good to go.

I was a little disappointed when the lights came back on.

Anyway, back on topic...

Let's say I wanted to buy one of these older generation X1 "spot" models, where and how would I find it? I see no one making such a distinction on ebay and before you mention Target as I've heard some people discuss, we don't have them in my part of the country.

Any ideas?

And by the way, thanks for the warm welcome!

carrot

Flashaholic
Buster Bodine said:
buy the best equipment you can afford.
/me mumbles something about the E1L/E2L and it's spot beam.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl1gen2.htm

If you want a brighter LED light with a spot like the X1, you should check out the River Rock 2AA (not the 2AAA) and the 2C. They have pretty tight beams but are brighter. They are available at Target for about $20.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106860
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107155
UnknownVT mentions them being on sale; unfortunately they are no longer on sale. :(

The 2AA is a rebranded version of this: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_alj-012aa.htm