Cyanora: My first real mod! (lotsa pix)

aosty

Enlightened
Got the bits lined up... coincidentally, check out the first metallic object to pop out of my lathe. :grin2: (the emitter board on the right is for comparison)
cyanora-ingredients.jpg

cyanora-heatsink-stack.jpg

cyanora-stacked.jpg

Put'em all together...
cyanora-assembled.jpg

Muthafkgrgrgrgrrrring @$^@^$(!@$%^@#^:"# !!! :rant: :rant: :rant:
cyanora-epoxy.jpg

woo!
cyanora-goodside.jpg

cyanora-blob.jpg

Oooopsy - the ground wire came loose under the epoxy. :ohgeez: Sigh... wire fished out - had to drill another damn hole... all fixed!
cyanora-oopsground.jpg

Another beginner error... wires were too close to the friggin edge. :ohgeez:
cyanora-grooves.jpg

Tada!
cyanora-done.jpg

Lift-off!
cyanora-liftoff.jpg

Cyanora vs. E1e-KL4 :touche:
beams-cyanora-vs-kl4.jpg

E1e-KL4, MiniMag-TL3, Cyanora
l4-tl3-cyanora.jpg

Cyanora
  • MiniMag
  • Downboy - 750
  • LuxeonV - cyan
  • custom heatsink - by aosty
  • Auroralite reflector
  • Kroll switch
  • mineral glass lens
  • 2x protected 14500 Li-ion

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Is the luxV a greenie? (pics don't tell the truth usualy) What bin is it?
Should of put it in that nice KL4 bezel! Would of been a much cooler looking host!
Sure does put the white luxv to shame!

aosty

Enlightened
smurf: thanks

issac: I'm not sure what the bin is... I yanked it from a modded light I bought... it was sold to me as a cyan and looks it. Using the KL4 would've been a great idea but... a) it's my first real mod and a Minimag is lot less painful to sacrifice - and reversible, b) I use it regularly, c) I'm not sure I can get the KL4 head open without wrecking it, d) no beamshot comparison. ;)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then that is one rare LuxV cyan. It's near impossible to get them now that look cyan and not traffic light green!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool mod you got there....... me thinking of putting some of those Cyan 1 watters I just recieved in a Mini :) What reflector are you using?

Did the epoxy tube BLOW UP :) Thats enough epoxy for 100 emitters and then some :)

Mac

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Aosty,

Awesome job! A wall of cyan light(Lux V Cyan!)! And I love that little heatsink that you have made for the sammie! :drool: :thumbsup:

Luna

Enlightened
I bet you have more money invested in the Artica than all thre rest combined :)

Good job.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job!

I have done some similar mods with the same type of heatsink (minipro). Here's what I did to solve the ground path issue to the heatsink. The heatsink has too much thermal mass to solder to directly so I used a very small screw into the base of the heatsink through a small copper tab. The screw connects the tab to the heatsink and the tab has a small enough thermal mass to solder to. I got the copper from a high voltage termination kit. It's like very thick tinfoil or very thin sheet metal. It cuts easily with ordinary scissors. With this method, I get good thermal contact between the top of the heatsink and the flashlight tube.

Great mod and keep em coming!

Paul

aosty

Enlightened
cmacclel said:
Cool mod you got there....... me thinking of putting some of those Cyan 1 watters I just recieved in a Mini :) What reflector are you using?

Thanks... I'm using Auroralite's MDR reflector.

cmacclel said:
Did the epoxy tube BLOW UP :) Thats enough epoxy for 100 emitters and then some :)

:green:

luna said:
I bet you have more money invested in the Artica than all thre rest combined

:green:

auroralite said:
Awesome job! A wall of cyan light(Lux V Cyan!)! And I love that little heatsink that you have made for the sammie!

It easily floods an entire room with cyan. Thanks to *you*... much of it, including the maching dimensions, were based on your project #j (LuxV mod) in your awesome MiniMag modding guide. :buddies:

chimo said:
I have done some similar mods with the same type of heatsink (minipro). Here's what I did to solve the ground path issue to the heatsink. The heatsink has too much thermal mass to solder to directly so I used a very small screw into the base of the heatsink through a small copper tab. The screw connects the tab to the heatsink and the tab has a small enough thermal mass to solder to.

Thanks - great tip! I'll try that... I was thinking of using one of those sandwhich support connectors (at the 'Shoppe) next time.

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Awesome! Fantastic Creation!!!!

I have cyan fever really bad, with a case of the royal blues as well. Lately I've done a few O-sinks and my first Aleph LE just tonight! Royal Blue Lux III, color bin 3!! Righteous in a 19 or 3 head. But my cyans steal my heart for some reason. Yours looks absolutely phenominal!

5W!! Im salivating....

nice work, have FUN with it!

CLHC

Flashaholic
A-Osty! Very nice I must say. I wouldn't even have the gumption of knowing how/when/where to begin—

Way to go! :thumbsup:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cyanora: Heat Management?

I assume that the heat produced by the V finds its way out partly to the body and partly to the head of the Mini-Mag? Between them, do they radiate enough heat that you can turn it for long times and not overheat it? Any comments on the total parts cost? What kind of run time do you get with those Lithium batteries? (goes back to admiring pics.)

Latest posts