Opinions of the BOG 5W Luxeon V head?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering the 5W head from BOG and I have a few questions. First of all, what do you think of it? Will it work on 9V bodies? Does the LED base screw into the reflector like the 3W? Thanks for any info!

wquiles

Flashaholic
If you look in here , on post #93 (and some additional comments on post #98) you will see my review of it with pictures, beamshots, etc..

Yes, the reflector is screwed like on the 3W units

A little underdriven, but works well ;)

Working from two rechargable CR123's (or 9V from 3 primary CR123 cells) resulted in a direct drive which is not healthy to the LED module, although it was "very" bright as you can see from the pictures I posted :)

Will

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
finish seems to be excellent, but anodizing is not hard anodize. finish scratched right thru.

very well designed, bezel unscrews from front to remove reflector/light engine. diameter of reflector is designed for 5watt and is larger than P60 led replacement. you cannot drop 5watt unit into P60 space.

works very well on 2x CR123, but will not run in regulation on single 18650. which is a deal killer for me. since the among the coolest mod is boring out 6P or M2 body to accept 18650 for several hour runtime.

the ONE sample I won luxeon lottery, very white and Wbin bright.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping the LED module can be screwed further into the reflector to tighten up the beam like I did with the 3W....

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have swaped the reflectors between the 5W and the 3W (since they are both the screw-type) so you can fit the 5W module anywhere the 3W fits. Yes, the beam is different, but it allowes you to play with different focus as you can also play with the different o-rings (different on both of my units).

Like cy, my 5Watter came with a fairly nice and white tint LED ;)

Will

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats pretty sweet. I think I may have to give one a try...

The only thing I don't like so far is the regulation. Its not terrible but I was hoping for 100% for the whole hour.

I'll be using a McGizmo 2-stage tailcap with it (if I buy it) so that will extend my battery life some....

Its' too bad its underdriven, but then the battery life on 2 CR123a's would be awful if driven harder.

I just don't know, my head is spinning. I'm torn between this one, the 3W, the Surefire L5 and the McGizmo Aleph1 (2x123).

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I have swaped the reflectors between the 5W and the 3W (since they are both the screw-type) so you can fit the 5W module anywhere the 3W fits. Yes, the beam is different, but it allowes you to play with different focus as you can also play with the different o-rings (different on both of my units).

Like cy, my 5Watter came with a fairly nice and white tint LED ;)

Will

Wait, you can put the 5W module in the 3W reflector? Does that mean it will then fit in a stock bezel?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yes, I did, but it was not a night and day difference. Plus with the 5W reflector you have to use the larger head, so using your standard SF heads is not a posibility :(

What I "really" like is the 5W using the 3W reflector. My 5W works great out of a single "fat" 18650 cell and it is a great, warm white tint. I am using this with a 2-stage switch and it is a great combo ;)

Will

Latest posts