Life at Google....Must be nice!!!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Ah, Yes! Gourmet food, with plastic cups!

Pacific Bell used to have a dynamite cafeteria in their San Ramon complex. They had student chefs from a local culinary school working as interns. Dozen or so of them. They had several different food sections (french, italian, BBQ, mexican, pastries, deserts, etc) that you could frequent. I loved it when the pastry chefs got creative.

The food was subsidized. A roast beef lunch with several side dishes and creme broule for desert... Under $5.00

I gained 10 pounds eating there.

Google is doing a lot of the same things that many cash rich startups did. Pool tables and free food are great until you realize you are working 60 hours a week on a salary (no overtime pay). Then it gets old.

Daniel

LaserFreak

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
Google is doing a lot of the same things that many cash rich startups did. Pool tables and free food are great until you realize you are working 60 hours a week on a salary (no overtime pay). Then it gets old.

Daniel

Yeah, but if there's a place to crash....no more rent!!! Live at work!!! (I can't believe I just said that)

carrot

Flashaholic
LaserFreak said:
That's it! I'm quitting...telling my boss I'm leaving for Google!!!!!
Steve Ballmer of Microsoft reacted pretty badly (profanity alert, for filtered internet people) when one of his employees left to work at Google...

So what if you work for 60h/week? You've got the best bragging rights in the tech industry! I daresay if I'm going to give up my soul to any employer, I'd prefer it to be Google than some of the less choice companies.

Speaking of which, the company NURV in the movie The Antitrust makes me think of a cross between Google and Microsoft...

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Before you go lusting over that job - let me remind you of a truism from the old Bubble days, and having met 1-2 goggle people - still holds true - when the company feeds you 3 free meals a day, and gives you a place to bring your pets, and a place to "relax", it's usually because the expect you to be there, in the building, at LEAST 14-16 hrs /day, sometimes 6-7 days a week - you live your LIFE in that building

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a confirmation from the Silicon Valley that your presumptions are at least to some degree accurate albeit unwritten. Google isn't the only company in the Valley that has those amenities to keep their employees appeased, some of the other companies remain competitive by having similar if not comparable amentities.

KC2IXE said:
Before you go lusting over that job - let me remind you of a truism from the old Bubble days, and having met 1-2 goggle people - still holds true - when the company feeds you 3 free meals a day, and gives you a place to bring your pets, and a place to "relax", it's usually because the expect you to be there, in the building, at LEAST 14-16 hrs /day, sometimes 6-7 days a week - you live your LIFE in that building