Fenix L1P/L2P reflectors

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
By accident I've noticed something interesting. While opening the head of a Fenix L2P flashlight, I decided to put a quite aggressive degreaser into the head to remove the superglue inside. This degreaser didn't loosen the superglue, but it ruined the LED and the reflector. The reflector was peeling off (picture). Apparently there is a little layer of reflective coating on the aluminum reflector. Since the reflector was screwed anyway, I decided to put it in a cup of degreaser to remove the whole reflective coating. Then I compared the beam output of the screwed reflector with a smooth new reflector of a Fenix L1P/L2P. The LED on the Fenix L2P driver circuit is a cyan LuxI.

Here are the 2 reflectors next to each other :
picture
The left one is named Blinky and the right one is called Peely

Here's a beam of the cyan LuxI without any reflector :
picture
Notice there are some lines visible in the center of the beam. Apparently this is normal for a cyan Lux I LED. If you can't see it clearly, here's an edited picture which displays the lines more visible : picture

Here's the beam of the cyan LuxI with Blinky :
picture
Once more an edited picture to make things more clear : picture

And at least the beam of the cyan LuxI with Peely :
picture
And once more an edited picture to make things more clear : picture

Blinky has a brighter hotspot, while Peely has a more flooded beam. Since this cyan LED has some distortions in it's beam, I prefer to use Peely. Peely makes the beam smoother and even, while Blinky projects the beam distortions as they come out of the LED.

So now I have installed Peely in my cyan L2P and I like the smooth beam.

Last edited: