OK, SRTH users

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SRTH recently developed a void in the beam that was not there before. It was always perfect, with a bright central spot, and even spill. Now my spill is not so even.
I called SF, and the guy I got told me that "the bulb causes that, not the reflector", and suggested that I rotate the bulb. Having already had the bulb out several times, and tried my spare that also had a perfect beam previously, this was not the problem, but I tried it several times anyway.
Guess I'll call them back, and see about sending in the SRTH, but I wanted to see if anyone else had had this happen to them.

Hard to tell from the pics, 'cause of the way the camera adjusted to the light, but the "void" is not symmetrical.
btw, my walls are a beige color so the beams may look off-color a bit in the second two pics. The first shot is on a white door. The LA is the N2. Pics are untouched. Because of the close range, I used the "museum" setting so the brightness wouldn't white out the camera.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be the bulb anyway. It sounds like your filament for some reason (impact or otherwise, or manufacturing issues) has drifted out of position.

The SRTH itself can't cause a defective beam, unless it's sustained damage severe enough to change the reflector geometry. We're talking about "crush the light flat" kind of damage.

Bulbs do get knocked out of alignment and it may not even take a really hard impact if you're unlucky.

The wierd part is that your spare causes the same problem. I'm having a hard time figuring that one out.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Do you think your SRTH may have went through some rapid heat changes from hot to sudden cold, causing it to warp slightly? Roll it around the table to see if its still perfectly symmetrical.

I know its obvious but perhaps you should check carefully to see if the Lexan window is perfectly centred and still flat.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I also remember when this beam was perfect and it really became noticeable when we were comparing it to my new Wolf-Eyes light. It is very hard to describe however it is definately much different now than before. It almost seems as if half the reflector was somehow changed. Looking at it closely you can see nothing out of the ordinary however once turned on it is very dark "void" that kills the spill light on this reflector.

I thought it may have been some form of chemical that got on the reflector or maybe something like fleabag suggests however it looks normal to my eyes. The Lens also seems to be normal as well however it is nothing like the beam it was a few months past....very weird stuff.