Build to Order: FluPIG

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm testing out a design where the FluPIG can be put after a battery input (2V - 10V) and before the input to the converter board or if the converter board can be output disconnected, then after the converter board and before the led.

Basically, theh uP has a wide range voltage regulator so it can take 2V - 10V.

I am using this N-Channel mosfet with low on resistance so power loss is at a very minimal: FDN339AN

I have two pads to put two mosfets incase someone requires really high current draw.

The software still has to be written but a majority of it is the existing FluPIC with the following changes.

1. PWM frequency for user level adjustment is now 480hz. The hand waving trick now longer works :grin2:

2. Burst will be removed because it no longer makes sense for burst

I need a day or two to collect ideas for some software features to add. Please add your ideas here.

As for beta testers, I need someone that is willing to try this out on many converter boards. PM me your e-mail address and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need beta-testers for FluPIG

480hz... that is just too dang fast you evil monster! :p

anyway, why does burst no longer makes sense? if that thing is use together with a hotlip, we can drive a luxIII to 2000ma safely i believe. or constant 1500ma!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope 488hz isn't too fast for some converter inputs.

Burst doesn't make sense becuase the user levels can adjust from 1% to 100% and burst would just be 100%. I guess I could leave it in as 100%. We'll see.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

awesome! Goldserve do you sleep? :D

I'm assuming the dimensions are still the same as the FluPic?

as I've been talking with you, I think a blink locator (user adjustable would be best I suppose) would really help a lot of people....

Hum... no idea the limitations of the board but could you do a voltage indicator (battery level)... so that when you switch into the mod... it would blink the number of times the voltage level is at.. 2 liion would start out @ 8 blinks.. then move down to 7 blinks.... etc... just brain storming :)

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll add a blink locator.

Blink, off for 2 seconds, blink, off for 2 seconds. I don't want to make this rate user adjustable because it just adds more clutter to the menus. We'll agree on a timing.

I can also add wave like strobe. Kinda like throbbing.

Regarding the battery measurement, this won't be included in this board because it is a piggyback board and not the FluPIC board itself.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

This sounds interesting. Will this be a straight PWM setup? Your FLuPICs have current limiting LDO regulators. Will they be replaced by the MOSFET(s)? I am concerned about sending 10V pulses to some of the existing driver boards. This may be a great way to make a downboy or a wizard adjustable (gonna need that short stack now).

Paul

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

This part is meant to piggy back a converter board. It will send out what ever voltage depending on the converter used.

If you place this FluPIG between battery and converter board, it will just connect/disconnect the battery based on the PWM pulses.

If you place this FluPIG between the converter board and led, it will just connect and disconnect the led. However, this may cause problems with certain converter boards like the BB so that is why you would put it at the battery instead. Ideally, the best place is to put it between the converter board and led.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

goldserve said:
This part is meant to piggy back a converter board. It will send out what ever voltage depending on the converter used.

If you place this FluPIG between battery and converter board, it will just connect/disconnect the battery based on the PWM pulses.

If you place this FluPIG between the converter board and led, it will just connect and disconnect the led. However, this may cause problems with certain converter boards like the BB so that is why you would put it at the battery instead. Ideally, the best place is to put it between the converter board and led.

Good, that's how I pictured it. :)

I have a BBNexGen looking for a purpose in life. I believe it would be very happy to participate in a beta test. This combo should produce very flat run-time tests at all brightness levels.

Paul

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

What chip is the BB using? I'm afraid 488hz is too fast. at 1% drive, the time shrinks to 200us.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

goldserve said:
What chip is the BB using? I'm afraid 488hz is too fast. at 1% drive, the time shrinks to 200us.

You may be right the BBNexGen uses a TI chip (TPS61030). The typical osc freq is 600kHz (range 500-700kHz).

Here is the start-up transient.
tps61030transient4ww.jpg

download

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible connect FluPIG in between 2 x li-ion rechargeable and LuxIII or LuxV?
What a fun begin. :goodjob:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crap. Looks like I'll have to scrap the PWM and use a software PWM to achieve much slower speeds.

It would be better if we could just connect the FluPIG after the converter board. What is the no-load condition? Because the uP is still connected and drawing at max 1ma at all times.

Download,

In theory, that would be possible but it is not designed for that. 2 lions at 100% duty cycle would kill a luxV and as the voltage drops, there is no feedback to the FluPIG to re-adjust the PWM duty cycle to maintain brightness.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone willing to try a BB board with the flupic between the lux and the converter board? :grin2:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

goldserve said:
Anyone willing to try a BB board with the flupic between the lux and the converter board? :grin2:

Probably not a good idea unless someone wants to kill a BB. :)

The other thing to consider is location of the switch.

If FLuPIG is between the converter and LED, how would it behave during the transient to steady-state startup of the converter board? If the switch was between the converter board and the FLuPIG, the converter board would need output protection (and would waste power as it would be idling in the off state). If it is before the converter, the FLuPIG must deal with the on transients (longer de-bounce period?).

If the FLuPIG is between the battery and the converetr board, the converter board must run happily in the PWM duty cycle of the FLuPIG.

I would prefer the location to be before the converter board or uPIC PWMing a switcher chip directly (eliminate the middle man).

Paul

download

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got some Lambda - MiniPro driver (MAX1797). Would it help?

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX1795-MAX1797.pdf#search='max1797'

Could it support Bi-Pin bulb? like 6V 20W?

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually prefer to put the FluPIG before the regulator too but i didn't include a battery contact on the other side. DOH. Anyways, this endeavour may not end up to be anything but at least I have another weapon I can use.

Cheers!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

goldserve said:
I actually prefer to put the FluPIG before the regulator too but i didn't include a battery contact on the other side. DOH. Anyways, this endeavour may not end up to be anything but at least I have another weapon I can use.

Cheers!

Ahh, I see. I'm still game to do some testing (proof of concept) if you would like (it just may not fit into a neat package...yet). Cheers,

Paul

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool. I may revert back to the current firmware and just send you a board to do some testing. Do you have any other converter boards?

PM me your address and I'll get something out the door tonight if I have time. Thanks!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

PM sent. I have a MiniPro board/parts and a stock Q3 board. The MiniPro has intrinsic output protection (open circuits to 5V max).

Paul

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Could I run a FluPIG with three CR123's and a LuxeonV? And if I do, how would I program the thing and what additional regulators do I need? I would love a two CR123A light running a 5W Cyan LuxeonV.

Latest posts