Hydra 3W Anyone know anything about this?

liquidsix

Enlightened
Does anyone know anything about this flashlight:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/hydra.html

I was considering getting a nice light like the Inova T3, but then I saw this, rated at about the same brightness (though that can't be true, I wonder how far off it is), and runs on 2 AA's, I'm wondering if I should save my cash and get this instead. Does anyone know where there is a review of this light?

Also, if this turns out to be complete garbage, what bin is the luxeon led in the Inova T3?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this light is similiar to the XM-3 ElektroLumens was selling.

Top, XM-2 Bottom XM-3

dsc00258small9yy.jpg

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a frend who has 3 Hydra's. They are ok, but not as good as the T3. The T3 is well regulated and holds its brightness for 2hrs. The build quality is better both in fit and finnish. I'm not sure if Inova selectively Bins their LEDs. I doubt it. I will say that all 3 of my T3s have the same tint which is very nice white. My neighbor (one of my flashlight converts) has 2 T3s and they are the same tint as mine. Good luck in your choice of lights!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, there it is! Nice to know someone that can relate exprience with said light. Way to go!

Enjoy!

liquidsix

Enlightened
wow, that is erily similar to the xm3.

So I take this light is not regulated in the least, and is not all that comparable to the T3. Sounded too good to be true, a 2AA light that outperforms most 2CR123a lights. Oh well, what am I looking at this for anyways? I've gotta Jet-I on the way woohoo!

You can tell I'm in store for some new lights before the camping season starts. So I'm looking at getting a new 2CR123a light to replace my Scorpion LED (I can't stand the rubber boot on this thing), prefferably with a clickie tailcap. And Some sort of AA or 2AA light (so i might get the extend tube for the Jet-I). I think the T3 is going to be my best bet for the 2cr123a light, or I can hold out for a while and see if the Fenix P2 will be along in the next 2 months.

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered the same light but was disappointed with the machinery quality. This Hydra is very heavy and I prefer the lighter one so ended up send it back to exchange the Inova T3. For a 2AA light, Fenix L2p is the one with far better machinery and better regulations. Just upgrade to millermod + the easy DIY 2 stage on tail cap then you will get the very bright high output plus the long run from low level.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
liquidsix said:
wow, that is erily similar to the xm3.

So I take this light is not regulated in the least, and is not all that comparable to the T3. Sounded too good to be true, a 2AA light that outperforms most 2CR123a lights. Oh well, what am I looking at this for anyways? I've gotta Jet-I on the way woohoo!

You can tell I'm in store for some new lights before the camping season starts. So I'm looking at getting a new 2CR123a light to replace my Scorpion LED (I can't stand the rubber boot on this thing), prefferably with a clickie tailcap. And Some sort of AA or 2AA light (so i might get the extend tube for the Jet-I). I think the T3 is going to be my best bet for the 2cr123a light, or I can hold out for a while and see if the Fenix P2 will be along in the next 2 months.

Hi,

Eeerily similar because it's made in the same factory and is almost identical :)

Like the XM-3 it's regulated - the AA lights require voltage regulation; see the XM-3 review for a runtime plot LINK

It's not quite as bright as a T3 nor frankly quite as well put together but then it also costs 30% less and it runs on AA's which is a huge thing for many people. Our CRUX model is slightly brighter because it uses CR123A's.

The Fenix probably has a nicer fit and finish but is a 1W, not a 3W LED so it's nowhere near as bright as the Hydra - and it costs more.

The Hydra, Iota and Crux are value line flaslights - these are the flashlights you buy for and recommend to the 'normals' - they won't scratch the flashlight geek itch as much as higher end lights will - the key here is 3W LED output that's affordable. Know what I'm sayin'?

Best,

/MattK