Should I not be responsible for lost items?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently, there has been lots of lost items. My usual practice was to replace the goods, no matter $10 to $100. I pay for all the shipping, etc.

I can't really offer insurance because that would cost the user $10 more alone. (Canadian postal system sucks!)

I can raise the prices of all my goods.

I can put a note like everyone else, "I can not be responsible for lost goods"

What should I do?

carrot

Flashaholic
Well... how about giving the customer the option of insurance, and if he/she chooses not to take it, then it's their loss if the postal service goes... well, postal. That's a fair disclaimer, IMO.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only you knew the prices to send stuff here. A small packet to the US with no delivery confirmation and insurance costs $6 cnd.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offer the option of insurance at the actual added cost and state that if the purchaser doesn't choose the option, you aren't responsible. That makes it the buyers choice, low cost or high security. Another possibility is to make the choice yourself. For low cost items, risk the occasional lost item without insurance and eat the cost. For high price items, build in the cost of insurance in the pricing.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. Great. I will find out all my options tomorrow...get pricing and inform people of their choices. Thanks all!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the states, there is a whole bunch of business law about when a customer takes delivery--just to cover issues like you mention.

Check with Canadian business laws (lawyer?) and make sure you have the proper statement for the customer "contract"... Also explain it in "English" so that folks can understand it themselves.

If you are dealing with small items--it probably is not a big issue. You should probably offer the option of insurance--and you may choose to "self insure" on the smaller items (and collect the profit--you hope) for those that don't want to assume the risk themselves.

Another aspect of the law to investigate is how a Credit Card purchase may affect your liability in Canada/cross boarder tranactions... In the US, since credit cards "make a profit" off of the transaction, they are considered to be an "extension" of your business. So, if the customer does not get any satisfaction with you--then can always get the credit card company to reverse the charges and assume the loses... Of course, the CC company will just go after you (the business) directly to get their money or the
product for the customer...

I am probably just repeating things you already know--But I hope it may be of help.

-Bill

PS: The average customer probably knows zed (zip, zero, nada) about business law--so you always run the risk of a tick-off customer even though you did everything 100% correct... Another reason to add a clear statement of responsibilities for the average web purchaser. –BB

Last edited:

Arkayne

Enlightened
I'm with Carrot in giving your customer the option of insurance. You can't get any more simple than that.

OR

I'd check out Phaserburn's pumphouse. I think all things missing eventually end up there.

magic79

Enlightened
Quite honestly, I believe it's a question of my integrity. If my buyer doesn't get the item, I'm responsible, win-lose-or draw.

YMMV

amlim

Enlightened
carrot said:
Well... how about giving the customer the option of insurance, and if he/she chooses not to take it, then it's their loss if the postal service goes... well, postal. That's a fair disclaimer, IMO.

my exact thoughts.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you may be on good legal standing for not reimbursing the buyer, this is a pretty small, pretty tough community. I would suggest that you at least required delivery confirmation / signature required for all deliveries. That helps more people stay honest, just in case that is an issue.

amlim

Enlightened
HarryN said:
While you may be on good legal standing for not reimbursing the buyer, this is a pretty small, pretty tough community. I would suggest that you at least required delivery confirmation / signature required for all deliveries. That helps more people stay honest, just in case that is an issue.

i think that if you tell the buyer that he will bear the loss / damage if he don't get insurance and tracking, then the buyer will have to bear the loss if he chooses to have it shipped uninsured and untracked. no offense to anyone.