Wolf-Eyes 12V info..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Ok I searched several old threads and have became very confused as to the current 12 volt set ups available and never really found an answer as to the ability to run protected 123 rechargeables with any 12 volt lamp assemblies.

Some say it did work and others say it did not. G&Ps stuff looks promising however some said their lamps were different and did not work while others had success.

Ok to sum it up I have had so much fun with my new 9 volt D36 I am really wanting to try the new 12 volt D36. I assume the reflector is 36mm and it seems to be the same general size as the 9 volt D36. On their website it says it will only fit the M90X and not the Raider that I have. Has anyone actually handled the 12 volt D36 and even more curious has anyone tried to fit one in a 9D Raider body with rechargeable 123 cells ?

I also remember reading several old threads that warned about using more than one non protected Li-Ion cell for danger of a dead short or something about venting and flame.....sounds bad to me but is this still an issue with the advance of the newer cells?

Alan1224

Newly Enlightened
Robocop said:
Ok to sum it up I have had so much fun with my new 9 volt D36 I am really wanting to try the new 12 volt D36. I assume the reflector is 36mm and it seems to be the same general size as the 9 volt D36. On their website it says it will only fit the M90X and not the Raider that I have. Has anyone actually handled the 12 volt D36 and even more curious has anyone tried to fit one in a 9D Raider body with rechargeable 123 cells ?

D36 9.0V can be put in 9M series and M90 series but not Raider.

Robocop

Ok further searching showed an older post by Lunarmodule where he did power the W-E 12 volt with 3 R123 cells however they were not protected.
I may have found the answer to the first part however am still wanting to know it the 12 volt D36 Wolf-Eyes Lamp will fit the Raider 9D bezel?

Robocop

Thanks for the info Alan and it looks like I may be out of luck here...They sure did look to be the same size from the pics.

Further searching is showing up many old posts that I am just now reading. I see a few other 12 volt assemblies from other makers like G&P and Digilight.

Is there any 12 volt assembly that may fit in the turbo head of the 9D Raider?

Alan1224

Newly Enlightened
Robocop said:
Thanks for the info Alan and it looks like I may be out of luck here...They sure did look to be the same size from the pics.

Further searching is showing up many old posts that I am just now reading. I see a few other 12 volt assemblies from other makers like G&P and Digilight.

Is there any 12 volt assembly that may fit in the turbo head of the 9D Raider?

I don't think so, as 9D is 9.0V flashlight not 12.0V flashlight.

innerlight

Newly Enlightened
The new 12V will fit the 9D bezel.
I tried this setup and found it to be slightly lacking compared to the standard 9AX body with the digilight 12VHP.

I seem to be alone in this opinion though. It may be that the new D36 runs a lot brighter on 4x123 primaries.

Alan1224

Newly Enlightened
Since 9D is 9.0V flashlight, if use 12.0V, I think it may waste the efficiency, not bright, I mean. Maybe can used for long time.:lolsign:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would think that running a 12V lamp on 2 li-ions would result in a very yellow, underdriven light. And yet, it seems to be a standard setup with Wolf Eyes and Pila. What is it about the 12V lamp? Running a 9V lamp on 6V is unheard of.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
You would think that running a 12V lamp on 2 li-ions would result in a very yellow, underdriven light. And yet, it seems to be a standard setup with Wolf Eyes and Pila. What is it about the 12V lamp? Running a 9V lamp on 6V is unheard of.
Wolf Eyes never tried to sell its customers on this arrangement--"Keep a 12V lamp installed and you can easily switch between two lithium-ions and three lithiums!" Instead, the company equips each 4x123A body with a 9V lamp when selling it as a rechargeable light.

But Pila did exactly that with its first generation of 4x123A-bodied rechargeable lights, and continues to do so with its second.

In fact, Pila no longer uses a 3.7V lamp in its single-cell rechargeable: It uses a 6V lamp!!!

Someone at Pila must be paranoid about having customers hot-flash their lamps.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Someone at Pila must be paranoid about having customers hot-flash their lamps.

Or, maybe they had alot of law enforcement requests to run rechargeables with the ability to carry and use primary backups. That makes a much more flexible system and only uses expensive primaries when necessary.