Garrity Stainless Steel 4AA

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it at Sports Authority for $12.99 plus tax. I think it would be a better deal at $9.99. But I got it because the package said "Xenon Bulb". It came with 4 Duracells. They were half dead. The light was dim with the supplied batteries so I put some new Rayovac Maximum's in there. Much better. It's a bright light with fresh batteries. About the same or a little brighter than a PT Tec 40 with the long burn bulb.

The bulb is the Philips HPX40 rated at 4.8v and .79a. Better suited for a 4C or 4D flashlight in my opinion. It comes with a replacement bulb. A K40 4.8v and .5a. A krypton bulb that is not as bright and a more yellowish color than the xenon. But better suited for AA's. That's what I put in there until I figure out what to do with the xenon bulb.

The reflector is faceted and makes it more liveable than other generic lights.

Battery installation is just a little complicated. Batteries are put in a holder and then in the flashlight. Easy enough for the average person to figure out.

Not a flashlight for the flashaholic. But makes a great loaner light.

mikep

Enlightened
I think I picked one up to try some sort of conversion, but I broke the plastic endcap. It's the one that looks like it would hold 2 D batteries, right?

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
The bulb is the Philips HPX40 rated at 4.8v and .79a. Better suited for a 4C or 4D flashlight in my opinion. It comes with a replacement bulb. A K40 4.8v and .5a. A krypton bulb that is not as bright and a more yellowish color than the xenon. But better suited for AA's. That's what I put in there until I figure out what to do with the xenon bulb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, have you tried the xenon lamp in your Mag 4D? If so, can you describe the beam quality? The reason I ask is because I can get the lamp that is in the Garrity Steel Beam 3D (I assume it's a Philips HPX30), which I want to put in my Mag 3D. But I don't know what the beam quality will be like. So if you could try the 4.8v lamp in your Mag 4D (to give me an idea), I would be very grateful...
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
It's a bright light with fresh batteries. About the same or a little brighter than a PT Tec 40 with the long burn bulb. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
DavidW,

I tried the Tec 40 with the long burn Krypton and found it disappointingly dull, and not just by comparison with the regular bulb. So if the Garrity is the same or a little brighter, I don't understand how it could be considered bright.

Brightnorm

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should have said "whiter".

Velcro. The beam quality is excellent. There's a slight hole in the wide focus. But better than the halogen I had in there. The stock bulb is long gone so I can't comment. P.S. how did you know I have a MagLite 4D?
grin.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
Originally posted by DavidW:
Velcro. The beam quality is excellent. There's a slight hole in the wide focus. But better than the halogen I had in there.

Was that an Eveready halogen? If so, would you say the HPX40 is brighter or whiter then the Eveready? Longer reach? How would you say the HPX40 compares to the stock Mag-Lite lamp (White Star) in terms of beam quality? Sorry to bother you with these questions, but I would really like to know before I buy the HPX30 (it's pretty costly over here).

P.S. how did you know I have a MagLite 4D?
grin.gif

I recall you wrote that in a thread some time ago.
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was an Eveready Halogen Bulb. Or maybe it was a Servalite (Silvalite?) bulb from the defunct Eagle Hardware. I would guess it's about the same brightness and color. Since I have only one 4D Maglite it's hard to do a side by side comparison. It has better beam quality than the halogen. I don't have a stock Maglite bulb to try out.

Go ahead and get the HPX 30. The HPX 40 I have is great. I have the 2 cell version (HPX 20?) from a Coleman flashlight/lantern. Same great beam quality. Bright and white.