101 uses for old CD's

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Put two back to back, relective side outermost, string through the centre hole, suspend from pole, branch etc. Makes good? bird scarer, garden mobile, cheap daytime mirrorball.

2) Use as drinks coasters to protect surface. I actually prefer the clear CD spacer you get in bulk new CD's packs.

3) Glue / nail to gate posts as reflectors.

4) Indoor mobile, by window, silent but reflective.

5) ??

Last edited:

Arkayne

Enlightened
-I clip a clothespin on and stick them in the ground for airsoft targets.
-They come handy when you need to mix epoxy.
-When I receive a package at work and I dont have my scissors or box cutter nearby, I flex a cd inside of a trashcan to break it and use the sharp edge to open the box.

edit: oops, I didn't follow the numbering scheme :(

Last edited:

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
5. Improvised Clay Pigeons....CDs are hard to hit when launched off of a clay pigeon launcher......Definitely make you a better shooter though......

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
5) Click-click BOOM............target pratice:p

Just make sure you clean up your mess when done.:grin2:

EDIT: :whistle: beaten to the punch by a PA member.:ohgeez:

Go Steelers!:)

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
6) Carry one in rucksack when walking for signalling / emergency use..On a bit of string. I actually have a CD slicer, which cuts CD's into 3, The middle portion fits nicely into my "Survival Tobacco Tin"

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side issue...

What could you use the hole in the CD's for...non naughty..

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
Beamhead - Nice to see that I'm not the only one whose done this! But you should of known someone from PA was going to get to it first.:lolsign:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have two uses:

Use them to view extremely bright LEDs through, so you can see the die and wirebond(s) inside while the LED is illuminated.

Place them in the microwave oven to watch the pretty sparks fly.
***IMPORTANT***
Destroying a CD in this manner may be rather stinky; do this in an oven not used for unwrapped food products or beverages.
Place a cup of water in the oven cavity with the CD to prevent possible damage to the oven's magnetron.

Last edited:

zulu45

Enlightened
My friends and I use them as target practice when we go shooting guns out in the woods. They work great. I'm planning on getting a nice bull barrel and stock for my little 10/22 (It's so much cheaper to shoot than a FAL or an AK) to where I can use it for competition. In that case, I'll be making sure to try to NOT destroy the cd, but rather hit it dead center (thru the hole). (No innuendo intended)

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I have to agree with everyone else on the target use. You can set them up quite a distance away, and the reflective surface makes them easy to see from a far distance.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without ever venturing into the subject of earrings for biggirls (aren't you glad I didn't) I would suggest an alternative to the beaded curtains for doorways so popular in films for decades....

Mrs Umbra likes them as ornaments for the Christmas tree but since I won't tell her what I think of that idea I won't post it here, either...

I think a music CD would make a very disruptive gift if weakening cuts were very carefully machined into one without making it out of balance, so it would still spin up to almost full speed. In a 52x drive the outer edge of a CD is moving at over 200 mph...it almost gives, "A hit with a bullet" a new meaning. Don't try this at home kids...

Last edited:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
greenlight said:
ala craig, you can use a CD (or two, stacked) to view a solar eclipse

That's a great idea! Much better IMO than turning a CD into a cdrom death disc....(not sure if that's the effect a cut up cd would have in a cdrom though, thinking Final Dest. when that monitor blew up and the glass went into that chicks throat :sick2:)