Opinions on Minimag mods

tadef

Newly Enlightened
VERY NEW to this, and am trying to figure out some of the better, easier, not too expensive mods are for these? I searched, but I could read for two days and still not have my answer. I don't want to be into a MiniMag $100, just seems a little too over-the-top (give me time, I'll probably think its reasonable in a few weeks).

Oh, is $2.98 a good deal on those River Rock keychain lights?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a two way switch put on my camo Mini-mag and am extremely pleased and is the best mod I've had done to it. He does advertise here but I can't remember exactly where but his email is [email protected]
He is really good at what he does and has a fast turnaround. You can choose the ohm for the switch to determine how bright you want the low to be, it is a very nice mod for this light.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings!

For simple no-nonsense "upgrade" to these Mini Maglites, go with the Nite-Ize available pretty much at most places such as Walmart, Target, Fry's Electronics to name but a few. Or if you can "wait just a little while longer" until Maglite releases their LED flashlights. Rumored around June-ish/July-ish? :thinking:

Don't know about them River Rock keychain lights you speak about. The only ones I got from said company are their 1.5W LED Lanterns, which are great to have around!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the most bang for the buck are these SMJLEDs:
http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm
at $6 for the LED only and $10 with reflector and lens. The only work is trimming and bending the LED leads. I think it's almost as good as the TLE-5N kits at less than half the price.

The TLE-5N is a true drop-in and is about the brightest 1 watt bulb replacement available, only $22.
http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-5.html

If you want to step up to the $50 range, you can get a 3 watt Luxeon sandwich. Although they appear to be mostly out of stock right now, probably due to preparing for the switchover to the new K2 LEDs.
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=dfeb8f91fe4d1e8774f974239e7264e2

greenLED

Flashaholic
TerraLux TLE-5 Ministar for the cheapest Luxeon drop-in ($21 or so from led-replacement.com) - it many times brighter than the stock minimag and a huge improvement.

For many other flavors of minimag mods and drop-ins, look for auroralite's dummy guide to minimag modding thread - that's the Encyclopedia Britannica of all things related to minimag mods.

tadef

Newly Enlightened
Ya, I saw auroralite's dummy guide...well written, but a little overwhelming. I already ordered some SMJLED's (earlier today), maybe I'll try a Lux sandwich too. What's the best battery to run in these (AA), and best place to get them?

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you're aiming for those Lux LED sandwiches from The Sandwich Shoppe, then with regards to batteries—Let's see, on mine:

NexGen 750 TW0J Lux.III = 3[M]iniMaglite with (1) LC14270 Un-Protected Li-Ion from AW (in Dealer's Corner)
NexGen 750 TW0J Lux.III = Stock Mini Maglite body with (2) Energizer e2 Lithiums AA

Enjoy!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the SMJLED! They are pretty bright overall and have amazing runtime on 2 AA Lithiums! They also appear to have gone down in price, because I bought 1 kit around 2 months ago and it was $13 (I think).

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I actually have several SMJLED equipped Minimags and have found that not only is it the best (IMHO) bang for buck conversion but also one of the simplest to do.

Apart from Modding a reflector and cutting two metal legs there is nothing complicated about it.

With the low cost of the LED you can afford to take a chance on it it without too much pain!

Doug