Milky goes Hotwire!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I strongly prefer LED mods, lately I've been playing with some hotwire creations of my own, thanks for more than a little encouragement from both bwaites and Phaserburn, with an assist from Tweek in giving me a real education on all things rechargeable a few months ago! That's some serious giants on whose shoulders I've been able to stand! Thank you gentlemen.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Anyway, not that I'm going to light the world on fire anytime soon ;) with my hotwire creations, but it is a nifty diversion from LED mods, which tend to be significantly more labor intensive and usually involve quite a bit more componentry. Bill was generous enough to send along a 5-cell Mag Xenon Star bulb a while back as I can't get those locally... and here is what I've done with it...

Please be gentle as I'm but a baby in hotwire terms... :eek:oo:

Some hastily assembled photos...

Panasonic 2D light: IMHO one of the nicest "normal" flashlights I've ever seen! Killer feature is its GREAT stock reflector, see further down...
img-cpf-panasonic-ms5xenon-6aa-nimh-upright.jpg

The GREAT stock reflector: not orange peel, not faceted, but rather stairstepped concentric circles. Never seen anything like it.
img-cpf-panasonic-ms5xenon-6aa-nimh-front.jpg

Light in hand for a relative size reference.
img-cpf-panasonic-ms5xenon-6aa-nimh-profile.jpg

The spot generated from maybe 5 feet back by this killer reflector! I purposely left the window in this photo to show the comparison with the FULL SUNLIGHT outside.
img-cpf-panasonic-ms5xenon-6aa-nimh-spot.jpg

Finally, just how intense is this beam? According to Mr. Meterman, 14,600 lux at one meter! Not bad! :)
img-cpf-panasonic-ms5xenon-6aa-nimh-14600-lux.jpg

The light is porwered off 6AA NiMH Rayovac IC3 cells in a pair of zero-resistance EL 3-to-D holders (the white ones... gen2).

Well, that's it. Happy little hotwire n00b in da house! :D :cool:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the most dedicated of the LED guys eventually succumb to the warmth and brightness of the Hotwire!!

Like moths drawn to a flame, the intense warm color of the Hotwires draws all who desire light!!:)

Bill

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: There goes the neighborhood, Milky done turned incan on us....

:nana:

Later
Kelly

daBear

Enlightened
I have gone down the same road. I spend hundreds of dollars on LED mods and especially the Quad LuxIII w/Fatman turned out quite nicely.

However, I am well into Mag85's with the awr hotdriver and li-Ion batts. Life begins at 1000 Lumens.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
OK Milky, so now you've crossed over to the dark side. :D Next it'll be HID, and after that you'll be driving up to PA for a tank light. muhwahahaha :thumbsup:

Larry

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
The milk man has been spoiled. Have fun bud. The 75watt short arc is just around the corner.

greenLED

Flashaholic
noooooooooooooooooooo - come back, milky, come back! Don't go to the bright side!
:laughing:

:thinking: I'm not sure if it was a compliment or what, but Fivemega called me "one of those LED guys" at SHOT. Maybe hotwire doodz know a thing or two about lights? :nana:

wquiles

Flashaholic
bwaites said:
Even the most dedicated of the LED guys eventually succumb to the warmth and brightness of the Hotwire!!

Like moths drawn to a flame, the intense warm color of the Hotwires draws all who desire light!!:)

Bill
Very well said Bill. Same thing happened to me. I started with LED's, but the "natual" spectrum of a "properly" driven hotwire is kind-of intoxicating, most specially outdoors. I still like LED lights and use them exclusively indoors, but a good incandecent is hard to resist, specially now with the stippled reflectors.

My reliable A2 with two RC123 cells, my custom 1D with a WA1319 on a KIU with 4xCBP1650 cells, or my SF-P90 with Tranquility Base' 2x18650 custom tube with 2x AW's protected 18650 cells is always with me on my nightly walks ;)

Will

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Success at long last! I've been badgering, petitioning and cajoling Milky to go hotwire for over a year!

Reminds me, I gotta check on those bulbs I told you about...!

Something about measuring your light in the 100s of lumens that really spoils a guy...

Milky, take that badboy outside and see what you think about color renditioning in your yard. Incans rule the night; especially the night outside your particular residence.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, only reason I'd get a hotwire is to set things on fire!!! lol

If need more output than led, I'd rather go to "hot-plasma" not-hot wire!! :nana: