Problem with SureFire 618FA and a little rant.

MadMax2012

Newly Enlightened
Recently purchased a 618FA for my Remy 870 and the light burnt out after 8 seconds of use.

Called Surefire customer service and they immediately agreed to send me a new one. (Great customer service at least)

Two weeks later the replacement light hasn't arrived. Call back Customer service and they said it was sent by USPS and should have been there. They agree to send it again by UPS this time. (Again great customer service)

Receive the replacement light, install it according to the instructions using factory supplied batteries..... it burns out in less than a second (light...poof).

I have a surefire handheld 6Z that uses the same lamp (P60) and put it in and the 870 weaponlight worked fine.

Call back customer service and they agree to send out another replacement lamp.

Great customer service..... but is their product CRAP??!!! Isn't it dangerous to be depending on a piece of equipment that if it should suddenly fail (as it does now) you will be immediately immersed in darkness in a life or death situation (that is when you would really need it right?).

Does anyone have similar experiences or am I just an anomaly???
How can anyone trust this when it is on a device that is designed for extreme pucker factor situations??? God forbid I actually touch off a round with the bulb in there.... will the whole assembly explode??? :duck:

I am seriously considering returning the weaponlight ($275!!!) and getting a cheapo Maglight (which I have never seen fail) and jury rigging it with 100MPH tape.
:help:

MadMax2012

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Jumpmaster.

I think after this experience I will have to side with you on LEDs.

This was not a "fun" light or just a bells and whistles thing. I want and need a reliable light source in the cause of defending my family, home and person.

I'm of the ilk that I want to identify my target BEFORE I decide shoot / no shoot, not after.:xyxgun:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I also have the 618 for my remmi....so far it has been ok, but you have a very valid point on trusting it. I was going to ask if any LED conversion heads fit on it. Anybody know?

VWTim

Enlightened
That's too bad, I bought a 618 for my 870 a few weeks ago. Installed it and all has been well. I'm not sure how valid that issue about shock isolation is as the light assy uses a shock isolated bezel and this same setup is used on many AR/M16 military setups.