Turbo module for the impatient!

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be me!
grinser2.gif

I have more than one SF turbo head to fill, and thought I would try to build a TM on my own. Hopefully I wont trash anything in the process.

The impatience part comes from me not willing to wait until tomorrow or Saturday for the proper size wire to arrive.

The orange jacketed wire in the photo is 24 gauge and it's too big in O.D. to fit the bore of the turbo head. Impatience, part 2, I wanted to do a trial run in order to figure out the rest of the unknowns, so I dropped the edge of an eigth inch end mill down each side of the tower for insulation relief, worked like a charm. Now I can use the oversized orange wire. Back to testing.

I finished the trial run and everything is good, even the 24 gauge will work, although it's difficult to get everything to fit in the bottom of the tower (the wire insulation is pretty stiff), but it is possible.

It's easy to route the leads between the tabs on the emitter pre soldering and it all slides into the turbo head nicely. Now if I can manage the tiny solder joint
ohgeez.gif

I hope you like the photos.

Scott

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the compliments.
grinser2.gif

I just finished soldering the leads to the led. I still have to install the converter. I bench tested it and the WWOS screams white light. The interesting thing is, I let it run for a good 20 minutes and the turbo head was pretty warm, so I turned it off and pulled the module out to see if it was screamin hot, and it was only warm. Wow! that little post does a great job of transferring heat to the head.

Epoxied and soldered. If you could see what I did to my first FLuPIC board:crackup:, you'd see I now have basic soldering skills.

Scott

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Alive! WOO HOO!
grinser2.gif
Everything turned out great, except for the + spring, it wont take solder...crap! I tried sanding the spring with a fiberglass pen, flux etc., etc., no go.

This spring was recycled from a dead SF 6P lamp. The other spring takes the solder excellent, but as you can see in the photo, I haven't soldered it yet, the tinned lead is trapped beween the coils of the spring and the base of the pedestal.

I'm very pumped! This is officially my first scratch build mod. Downboy 750 with a WWOS emitter. The emitter fits into the bore of the turbo without major tab modification, just snip the wings at the first 90 degree bend and it will go right in.

No soldering screw-ups this time, YEA!

I feel like a true flashaholic now :lolsign:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott, your finished turbo module looks awesome! :clap: :twothumbs

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.....Now I think I'll make another one with a UWOJ Lux III and the FLuPIC board I didn't destroy.

My wife and I take long night time walks, the strobe function would be added safety and really cool with the turbo head ;)

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh.....The olive drab monster, powered by the old familiar BIG BLUE cells X two.
caution.gif
Now I gotta try the
BIG BLUES X3.
naughty.gif

My wife really hates this thing!
lolsign.gif
grinser2.gif

I'm saving the all black i.e. TH, 18650X2 body, and my new McE2S for the module created by the master. How long will take to travel from Japan to the USA? :whistle:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What? Nothing adjusts in mine at all ... it is very very snugly in there, which is great to improve the heatsinking on this thing ... it runs a LuxV at 700mA after all ...

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
Excellent work, as always ;)

Will
I have a WWOS Lux V running at .750 milliamps and heat is no issue. The difference between a slip-no-slop fit and a snug fit is .0005". Any more than .0005" and it would be a light press fit. That little post does a very good job passing the heat to the TH body.

The two tower modules I've had experience with, rotated in the bore when I turned the cell tube.