Blew out my QIII

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I turned on my QIII today and noticed that it was dim and flickering badly. I tapped on the switch and twisted the head a bit while it was on, and the LED finally went out completely and a wisp of smoke came out.
:(

I took it apart later and found that the Luxeon itself appears to be ok, but I fried something on the driver board, apparently an FET (a three legged device with a silkscreened D-G-L, I'm assuming Drain-Gate-Load). I'm probably going to have to replace the board. Any suggestions?

I feel nekkid without that light on my belt! I'm probably going to press my River Rock 2AA into service in the interim.

Last edited:

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
I'm probably going to have to replace the board. Any suggestions?

Maybe send an email to the dealer that you purchased it from, to see if they are willing to help?

Peter

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestion Peter, altrhough I'm reluctant to ask them (CountyComm) to take the hit for this since I've modded it and I've been overdriving it with a rechargeable. I kinda feel like I had it coming. :eek:

I might try to replace the FET.

If I can find out what kind it is, and I can find an SMT replacement.
And I haven't had any coffee that day.

Otherwise I might drop in some other kind of regulator module...

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually a NPN BJT.

Zetex FMMT617 - very low Rce(sat) 50mohm at 3A.

It has a very high Hfe (~200-300). It needs to because the Zetex driver (ZXSC300) can't supply too much drive current (~2.5mA).

Many people have swapped out their Q3 board - you may be able to get one.

You could also try one of Goldserve's FLuPICs - he is making one sized for the Q3.

Paul

ckcanon

Newly Enlightened
Why not just direct drive it and use RCR123's. With an upgraded reflector you'll have a much better light.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Litemania sells a complete Q3 driver board for $5 so try contacting him.

I can send you some NPN BJTs for free if you'd like...they're not identical to the Zetex FMMT617 (even tho most of the specs on Zetex's datasheet is specsmanship), but they may work if you can solder them in.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
After many weeks of being without my trusty EDC, I finally soldered a replacement OEM board in it tonight (thanks again, Milky!). As I reassembled everything I was wondering whether the RCR123 still had any charge lef... <click> OW! :crazy:

Why do I keep doing that? :laughing:

Monolith

Enlightened
I'll try to bring a flupic Q3 to Dayton if you want to see a comparison.