Airport security experience with my SF SC1

Viper

Newly Enlightened
This should be on an "idiot TSA" forum, but only you guys would understand about what an SC1 is.

I was at the Detroit airport going through security.

Going through the X-ray, the operator gets all excited about my suitcase, running it back & forth, and calling assitance over. My suitcase had only clothes, some papers, and a Surefire G2 + SC1 carrier, so I know it's the flashlight or the spares carrier.

So they take my bag, and tell me they need to look in it. I try to assist him by telling him where to look, as I know it can't be anything else. I till him it's inside the main compartment, trying to help him out.

He insists on ignoring me, and opening every external zipper first trying to find it. It's almost as if he is trying to delay me as much as possible, not caring if I tell him where to look. Of course, I am not allowed to show him what he's looking for.

Now a supervisor shows up, and so does my blood pressure. They finally find it (where I told them it would be) and they pull out the SC1 and tell me it looks like a cylinder of a revolver. Then, I get the 3rd degree about why I need 6 "hearing aid" batteries. I explain it's for the flashlight immediately next to it, and they shake their head like they don't understand.

He proceeds to take my SC1 to X-Ray operator and they unscrew it, and examine the contents like they were CSI agents or something. Then he takes it back to the supervisor and tells him they are "hearing aid" batteries again. He fondles it for a minute and looks at the batteries.

Magically, a police offer sees the commotion and strolls over, and how he's touching it. They come back once more to confirm to confirm with me that it's not part of a "revolver" and I said no. So they look at me like I am "getting away with something" when they hand it back and tell me I can leave.

Luckily, I wasn't in a hurry or late for my plane, or I would have been more pissed off. They should have immediately realized it's not a gun part, and just let me go instead of showing it to everone and asking me a lot of stupid questions.

And I don't know how in the world, they can assume a CR123 is a hearing aid battery. I think it's because hearing aid batteries are sold in round dispensers like the SC1.

Bill

Last edited:

lightplay22

Enlightened
Yea, but don't it make you feel safe and secure having such competent and thorough folks in charge of security. LOL. Have to go see if smith & wesson are making any revolvers with a plastic cylinder these days.
Doesen't surefire make hearing aids also?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viper said:
And I don't know how in the world, they can assume a CR123 is a hearing aid battery.
They're used in hearing aids for aging elephants.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Devil's Advocate mode-ON

The reason you get ignored is that pointing out the "obvious" thing is a commonly used distraction technique.

90% of the world has absolutely no idea what an SC1 is or what CR123 batteries are (you are lucky they didn't recognize them as lithium batteries or -poof- they'd have been gone).

Not many people (in my experience) travel with flashlights so that makes YOU the oddball. Oddballs get checked out by security. The people who travel without flashlights are (in my opinion) idiots. Idiots can pass freely <grin>.

Devil's advocate mode-OFF

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, lucky for you that TSA didn't have the new 30 second lie detectors like the Russians have - they would have seen right through that bogus flashlight battery holder story. :rolleyes:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To continue the Devil's Advocate thing (although I agree the security guys were being idiots regarding your situation), it's not uncommon for people in these kinds of jobs to look at anything suspicious, but pay more attention to the person rather than the item to look at reactions. Bouncers do this a lot when looking for fake IDs. A nervous or scared person is very easy to spot (forced nonchalantness, inability to look you in the eyes, etc), especially if you're practiced. Then again, the TSA idiots can make anybody nervous or scared. People mention shoes; try flying with shoes that have cycling cleats in them and explaining it to those people.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
On a positive note you didn't loose your batteries and at least security is trying to stop bombers! Of course the fact that they didn't know what a lithium battery is or that it shouldn't be in baggage is proof that you pay peanuts and get monkeys!..LOL!

MicroE

Enlightened
You were actually lucky.
The plastic body of the G2 is probably transparent to the x-rays and was therefore immediately recognized as a flashlight, not another bomb-like component.
If you had been carrying almost any other solid aluminum SF light, this could have been worse.
I have made the mistake of carrying a Z3 through security. The x-ray apparently sees it as a long metal cylinder, not a flashlight.
When I was questioned, I answered all of their questions calmly and briefly. I was allowed to pass after the carry-on bag was hand searched and they allowed me to open the SF and take out the batteries to show them how it worked.
What do they know about flashlights? They usually carry Mags.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Viper - Read your post just shaking my head.....EXACT same scenerio happened
to me leaving out of Flint Bishop a few weeks ago heading to N.M. They didn't
have any concerns with the E2D light in my bag just the SC3 :mad: The whole
ordeal took about 15 minutes.

BBL

Enlightened
Welcome to the age of 'War Against Terror'... i'm glad that wasnt my idea...

I always thought the SF spare carriers look like anti-personal mines... mh, but maybe, landmines are okay as carry on luggage?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
MicroE said:
You were actually lucky.
The plastic body of the G2 is probably transparent to the x-rays ...[snip]
Next time, look more closely. The G2 has a metal tube on the inside for the electrical connection. It's thinner compared to metal-bodies lights, but still visible as a metal tube on x-rays.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Folks,
Do you think I would have a problem bringing some of my little collection when I visit the US in April/May? (L1P, U60 and Raw NS probably).
I would put them in the main baggage not carry-on.
Advice appreciated.

SCblur

Enlightened
Actually, contrary to many worries here on CPF, lithium batteries are permitted in our luggage and carry-on in small quantities, so long as they are personal property and for personal use. The FAA press release that explains the nature of the ban is located here:

http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1898

The ban is meant to stop larger quantities, and with a bigger emphasis on rechargeables. The press release makes it clear however, that small quantities for personal use (ie flashlights, laptop battery) are allowed.
I have flown several times with many lithium lights and batteries both in my carry on and checked luggage. Never has anybody given them a second glance. I don't however use a spares carrier that would confuse a suggestible TSA employee into believing I'm packing a plastic revolver. LOL, makes me want to take one next time I fly just to get the reaction. I'll make sure to get to the airport a few hours early though, for the extra time I'll spend explaining myself :)

dougmccoy said:
On a positive note you didn't loose your batteries and at least security is trying to stop bombers! Of course the fact that they didn't know what a lithium battery is or that it shouldn't be in baggage is proof that you pay peanuts and get monkeys!..LOL!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
S'funny, I went thru security at LGA last weekend, and they didn't care about the L4 in my bag, or the Fenix, or the titanium Jones Bro. Stylus. What they wanted was to wipe down my camera for bomb materials.

So I go over with the lady, and first she asks me where the camera is, and to show her which compartment. I happened to have three in my bag, so I start with number 1, a small point and shoot; and as I'm describing no. 2, a camcorder, she cuts me off and says that's ok. I never even get to no. 3, which is the largest and I'm quite sure what flagged the X-ray operator.

That makes me feel safe. Seems to me the X-ray guy should be telling her what to look for, not me.

daloosh

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
I usually fly with a SF L4, Fenix L1P or QIII and and perhaps something smaller, plus spare batteries and charger. Also in my carry on are GPS, small digital camera, a two way radio, and spare batteries and chargers. I have been suprised that no one one has wanted to take a closer look, sometimes they'll do a 2nd pass at the XRAY, but that's about it. Monday afternoon things were slow at Logan, and everything got taken out, swabbed for residues, and examined. The fellow was polite enough and offered to pack it back in for me, which I declined, since he wouldn't know where I usually keep each item.

Security checks are an annoyance, and I believe do little to keep me safe from someone determined to harm me and willing to die doing so. That being said, they're an expected part or commercial air travel, so I try to not let it get to me.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time out of the US for my GF they cut open a bag of incendiary cornbread mix in her checked luggage. They did leave a note though, very thoughtful. :ironic:

-LT

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do mourn for the days when flying used to be fun and an adventure.

These days the largest wing on a transport device that I'll take had better be the spoiler on a car.....

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
it's funny you should mention this. i went through the lne @ denver. of course, the agents ignored the pila g3, and the assorted batteries i had in the backpack, but they stopped me for a stunt kite that i had bagged up. they went as far as to empty out the entire contents on the search table and ask what it was used for.

mind you, a stunt kite consists of carbon spars, flying line, sail fabric, and nylon fittings

ok. sorry to hijack the thread. back to batteries.

wquiles

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
I do mourn for the days when flying used to be fun and an adventure.
Spoken like a true veteran. I have traveled to Europe, UK, Central America, South America, the Caribean, Asia, and all over the USA in the past 15 years, but recently I rather not travel if I can help it - too much hassle ;)

Will