Religious Flashlight Experience.

tron3

Banned
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a religous discussion thread. I am not here to make trouble. I am simply telling a true story of what happened last night. Please don't get the thread locked. There will be people who might have similar experiences. Some due to UFO's. :rolleyes:

I was at my weekly bible study last night. When I arrived there was a yellow 2 AA flashlight sitting on the table. I fiddled with it and saw it was dead and just left it in front of me as the study went on.

During the course of the study, I was prompted to recall James 2:20, "...that faith without works is dead. So, to validate my point further I grabbed the flashlight to cast some "light" on the situation.

"Let's say I was to go into the dark boiler room over there. <pointing to door>." I removed the batteries and noted the flashlight is symbolic of the Lord. I went on to say, "Now if I put half my faith in Him (dropping in 1 battery and closing it), What happens?" <shaking light side to side.> Women besides me notes, "It doesn't work."

I reopen the flashlight and continue, "Now if I say I put my faith in Him <inserting other battery and closing> but I leave it here when I go in the dark room, is the light (faith) of any good to me?

So what happens? Well, like any flashlight that's been sitting unused for long periods, faith without works is dead. <clicking dead flashlight on and off repeatedly.>. I went on to tell them you can't just claim faith, you have to live it. Everyone seemed impressed with one noting, "That was very good."

This story may mean nothing to many of you, but it should get me in Carrot's list. :grin2:

Last edited:

nethiker

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight religious experience.

That is a great story. I must say I was a little disappointed though. I thought the dead flashlight was going to come back to life. :)

tron3

Banned

mossyoak said:
dang tron3 very good and profound I might have to use that analogy in my biuble study as well

Thanks. I am tweaking the posting a little as I recall details, and to improve the telling of the story. Feel free to use it, but note where you heard it.

Something like this spreads and I look forward to it coming back from a visiting speaker at my church. That would be awesome.

:rock:

tron3

Banned

nethiker said:
That is a great story. I must say I was a little disappointed though. I thought the dead flashlight was going to come back to life. :)

Well, if it was the story of Easter, it would. :grin2:

The idea is, you can say you have faith, but if you don't live it, the faith dies. Much like the batteries did. Not to make this a religious discussion, just want to make sure everyone who cares understands.

Ok, back to flashlight talk. :naughty:

RigMedic

Newly Enlightened

Excellent analogy, Tron...Amazing how something like a flashlight can be used to emphasize God's word....Thanks for sharing

Allnew2me

Enlightened

I'm still new here, what is Carrot"s list?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! Here I thought the light was going to illuminate on faith alone (empty, no batteries, just faith, :) ).

tron3

Banned
carrot said:
Is that what this is about? The flashlight stories index is not about popularity or fame... it's about a collection of stories.

Not looking for fame. Just to be part of the stories. Thanks.

tron3

Banned
d'mo said:
Nice! Mind if I use it?

Just remember to tell where you got the story. It is a true story, and that makes it more meaningful that it happened that way, as opposed to just making a presentation. Rochester, NY? Do you know of a preacher Randy Amos? If so, send me a pm.

As for the light working on faith, that is not the moral of the story. If I had my Fenix L1P with me, I probably would have tested the batteries in it and discovered they still give me some light.

I found that out with my Fenix L0P. I drained a AAA battery in a Mag Solitare until no more light would come out, even after resting the battery. At this point, it still holds about 250ma or less. That is more than enough to light up a Fenix. I've drained them to about 75ma and still give some light. At about 50 ma, it may not light, but would keep burning if it was already lit.

But that is a story for another time. :grin2:

Last edited:

europium

Enlightened

nethiker said:
Yes, the Lazarus light! ;)

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic

Carrot, you're in violation of the rules. Edit your post into something that isn't baiting and an unjustified slam against another member.

Thanks, Carrot.

zulu45

Enlightened
tron3 said:
"Stealing" is a sin. But I have no flashlight analogy to teach you that. :grin2:

Heh, true... perhaps I should steal a flashlight, so we have an analogy for it as well... :lolsign: (Just kidding, of course).

I told my friend that analogy, he likes it too. Come to think of it, everybody whom I've told really likes that.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
This story may mean nothing to many of you, but it should get me in Carrot's list. :grin2:
This last line of the originating post in this thread may be of greater focus to the poster than is easily evident.