Battery Storage in lights

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Ive just gotten a couple G2's and a U2, (yes i am very happy with them :grin2: ) I plan to never really use the G2's and put them in my hiking rucksack for more emergancies than anything, the U2 will see more use, but not a lot more.

My question: Should I turn one of the batteries the wrong way around? or leave the batteries out of the torch? or just leave them in ready to role? Ive been reading and it seems people who just leave them in the lights tend to have severely drained batteries, am i right in saying this? I dont want to be stuck half way up a mountain with darkness looming to reach for my trusty G2 and find its dead.

P.S. im assuming the SC1 carrier can carry batteries and bulbs also without any long term problems.

Thanks in advance

Craig :)

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Sorry i just realised this is in the Wrong Section! :stupid: Dont suppose i can retract or move this now hmmm SORRY!!

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most objects that use batteries suggest 'for long term storage' remove the batteries. I guess 'long ' can be misleading, over the years I have found 'lost' objects that had batteries - some had swollen and leaked and required extensive cleaning. unless it is something I use on a regular basis - I remove the batteries, I have a few battery cases for different size batteries. AAA, AA, C, and D these hold anywhere from 4 to 8 batteries. Zip-Lok bags are also good for battery storage. It's a pain to remove the batteries and put them back in to use the object, but then that is easier than trying to remove exploded batteries.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also - keep in mind - batteries that are very cold - freezing, will suffer a power loss. most camera manufactures suggest keeping batteries in an inside pocket to keep them warm.. - not sure if you hike in the cold ..

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's in an okay place..

Anyway, if you get a clickie lockout tailcap or something you can just leave it ready to go. I *think* if you flip the batteries it'll still work, it's just a simple circuit.. I could be wrong though..

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i do hike in the cold, especially in winter, there is usually snow on the ground on the higher fells. This power loss, does it affect the batteries then thats it? or when you warm them up, does the power return?

Craig.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, it won't matter nearly as much with CR123's like you use in a G2. Maglites use alkaline batteries and they fail wayyyy sooner than a lithium battery..

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
regular alkaline batteries will come back to life when they are warmed up, (providing they were not dead to begin with )
Lithium batteries do better in the cold -

I am not a battery expert, I know that it is easier to put batteries in an object, than it is to clean up a battery that leaked in some way.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Englander said:
Yeah i do hike in the cold, especially in winter, there is usually snow on the ground on the higher fells. This power loss, does it affect the batteries then thats it? or when you warm them up, does the power return?

Some guys actually store their fresh CR123A's in a refrigerator, or so they tell me. Apparently, they "keep" better at colder temperatures, but their life is shortened if used at colder temperatures. Best to bring them back up to room temperature before using if that is an option. Where is ye ole Silver Fox when you need him :grin2: .

carrot

Flashaholic
I have found with the G2 that cold batteries will make it very yellow and dim. Not really useful. Keep your lights warm if at all possible when you think you might be using them. When the batteries warm up, they will recover.

In the A2, the light output is still bright as usual, but runtime is *severely* decreased in very cold weather. Alkaline, lithium, they both fail to work at acceptable performance for me at cold temperatures.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that keeping batteries cold will lengthen their storage life,This slows down the molecular activity or something. this is the same as photgraphic film. Do not confuse storage with usability.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Do the lithium batteries (CR123) that we use have a tendancy to leak like other types? And if they do are they as damaging as other types? I would hate to think of a bad battery in my new lights!:rant:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, very rarely, though. Much more of a concern with rechargables from what I've seen. I've had my CR123s in sub-zero weather and I've had no problems - I'm holding them and using them, which must keep them warm enough. My Twintask stays in the car year-round, exposed to all kinds of temperature conditions and it works just fine..

I've exploded AAs. I've had D cells melt down. CR123s?? Nope..

atm

Enlightened
Being new your G2s should have the lock-out tailcap. If you lock them out there is no electrical path, and minimal risk of accidental turn-on (there's no fancy electronics/switching in the G2 to slowly drain the cells) so the batteries should last as long as if they are stored in another container. Being lithium they 'should' have a 10 year shelf life with no risk of leaking and minimal decrease in capacity.

Andrew

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, ill feel happy leaving my batteries in my G2's and U2 now with the tails locked out :) As usual your wisdom and knowledge is greatly appreciated :)

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
If I understand correctly, the big fear in leaving batteries in the flashlight is that they could deplete and start leaking, but if the light is off (and I'm presuming that a flashlight operates on a fairly basic opened/closed circuit) what is the difference between leaving the flashlight locked out, and leaving it off?

atm

Enlightened
NeoteriX said:
If I understand correctly, the big fear in leaving batteries in the flashlight is that they could deplete and start leaking, but if the light is off (and I'm presuming that a flashlight operates on a fairly basic opened/closed circuit) what is the difference between leaving the flashlight locked out, and leaving it off?

In the case of the G2 (ie no fancy electronics), only the risk of it being turned on by mistake.

Some electronically controlled lights (eg Gladius?) draw a very slight current even when not turned on. Some of these will continue to draw this current even with the switch locked out, to really save the batteries they would have to be removed.

Andrew

Last edited:

dta116

Newly Enlightened
Lithium ion Laptop Battery Manufacturers recomend storing The bateries at 40% charge in the cooler (fridge). The truth is Heat and a High charge are the things that kill Lithiums. Keeping the Laptop batteries topped off with the power plugged in and the heat generated in the newer laptops apparantly is the WORST thing to do to a Battery Pack. Now I know this is exactly what we all do and maybe that is why we can't get much life out of our Laptop Pacs.

Just a little FYI. Thanks for listening.

BTW, I live in the desert of West Texas, not too worried about the cold killing my batteries, just 200F in the car that melts my cd's.

Latest posts