Flashlight prank goes off perfectly!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A close friend and I had been fooling around with some ideas for a "magic" campfire start and he came up with the notion of wrapping some high resistance wire around a few "lifeboat" matches and then running a hidden wire out to a battery and switch.

Well we all came over to this friend's house for BBQ last night and he pulls me aside and tells me he set the "starter" up in the BBQ pit and we should play a prank.

So the rest of the group arrives and he's standing out by the pit and he announces that he can't find any matches. Other friends are searching pockets and purses for matches or lighters and I step up (on cue) and say "Hey, my flashlight is really bright, maybe it'll work" and I shine it on the fire (HDS EDC 60 basic). Laughs all around as I'm staring furiously at the pile of charcoal and wood chips and of course nothing is happening.

"Oh", I say "I need to put it on HIGH" and I kick it up to the full 60 lumens... more laughs. Then my friend (unnoticed because all the attention is on me) flips the switch for our homemade ignitor.

Suddenly to the amazement of the crowd there is a small trickle of smoke from the pit, and then flames, and then the woodchips catch and the charcoal and VOILA, we have FIRE!!!

Oh LORDY you should have seen their FACES!!!!! :lolsign:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha... nice prank, zespectre!

GhostR, yeah I believe the USL would indeed! I'm gonna try my MagDDL at my next BBQ. Smokes a newspaper in 2 secs... haven't tried how long it takes to achieve fire though :D

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
A green laser pointer fter dark, from across the yard would be even more dramatic.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahahaha. Even funnier you did it with the small EDC. I figured you'd do it with at least a bright hotwire mod. No infrared in that LED beam, must be REALLY bright! hahaha.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well done! Nothing like a little "magic" enhanced with science! I just wonder if this means the price of the HDS lights is going to go up now that they have a reputation as "fire starters"? :laughing: :candle:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
I just wonder if this means the price of the HDS lights is going to go up now that they have a reputation as "fire starters"? :laughing: :candle:

Oh, I didn't even think of that!

I won't tell Henry if you don't! :ohgeez:

tron3

Banned
Priceless. And you never told them? Just plain mean. But still priceless!

Now, if you had a high powered Wicked Laser, you wouldn't need to rig to the fire. :naughty:
I gotta try that with my "Lumatron". :lolsign:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Best CPF practical joke I have pulled to date was including a RGB flashing LED that Wayne gave me connected to a Lithium Thyonial Chloride primary memory battery in a package I sent to bwaites. I knew the LED would be doing it's thing when he opened it! :D In retaliation, I received a PM perportedly from the paramedics that had responded to Bill's MI! (heart attack) :crackup: Tasteful pranks are cool!

Larry