Need Suggestions on a Thrower

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new flashlight with some good throw to complement my Surefire L2. It needs to be on the small side, with an incandescent bulb, and it needs to run on CR123 batteries. Currently it seems to me like a Surefire G2 would fit the bill rather well, but I am looking for some input on some possible alternatives. Thanks.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2 is a good one, and isn't costy. If you want to move up the food chain a little, you can get a 3 cell light like 9P and use a P91 200 lumen lamp assembly. Or stick a Surefire A19 extender on a 9P, and add a P91 and two rechargeable Pila 168S batteries so you arent constantly eating CR123 batteries.

cheers

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for something on the small side, as in something I can comfortably carry in my pocket as part of my EDC. I think this rules out lights like the Surefire 9P. If I remember correctly, that's much more on the larger side of things.

SCblur

Enlightened
The G2, 6P, 9P lights in their various configurations are good lights with good output, but honestly, they don't throw very far. Even the 200 lumen assembly for the 9P. It throws worse than the stock 105 lumen lamp as a matter of fact. Those SF beams aren't really made to throw like crazy, but rather are designed for a more useful beam in all applications.

If you want something in a G2 sized package, the Pelican M6 xenon throws WAAAAAY farther than the G2. I have them both, and the pelican puts the G2 to shame when you want throw, very tightly focused beam (I have the new prefocused one, not the older adjustable reviewed on FLR). If you want even more throw than that in a slightly bigger package, the best thrower for the size is the Streamlight TL-3 xenon. A 3-cell light with unbelievable throw for its size, and about 130 lumens of output if my memory serves me correctly.

I don't have a TL-3, but it's my next planned purchase. But trust me on the Peli M6, AWESOME throw and output from its size. I don't even want to use my G2 anymore, now that I've got the M6. I got mine at Fry's on sale for $35 a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
Corallis said:
I was hoping for something on the small side, as in something I can comfortably carry in my pocket as part of my EDC. I think this rules out lights like the Surefire 9P. If I remember correctly, that's much more on the larger side of things.

you wouldn't want the TL-3 then, but the peli M6 is only a hair bigger than the G2, and to my eyes, looks like about 3-4 times better at throw. A very very nicely put together light also I might say. And that's coming from a Surefire snob.

Here is a recent thread on G2 vs. TL-3, that later includes discussion on the peli M6 as well. Much of the same concerns as you voice are addressed here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112230&referrerid=12784

Last edited: