More Dumb Questions

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
First of all is the Nuwai 3 Watt Luxeon LED Flashlight TM303-X the Q-III everyone talks fairly well about?

Will this light run well/at all on a protected 750mAh lithium-ion battery, 4.2V maximum, 3.6V nominal (one of the cute little blue ones):) ?

Thanks for bearing with my uninformed questions.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is the same, just called Quantum 3, Q3 for short.
and,
...your mileage may vary on RCR123's. A LOT of people use Li-Ions to overdrive the Q3 (TM303X-3) for more brightness (with less runtime) and have no problem. It will probably shorten your LED's life from 10,000 hours, to 1000 hours, but will you ever use it that long? An hour a day that is still three years. and who uses it an hour a day? That is a full battery charge a day.
I won't guarantee it will live, but a Nuwai may die before that anyway, my 2 cell TM301X-3 (Big Q3) died after I dropped it less than two feet on the floor. An internal solder came apart.
Personally, I use 'regulated' 3.0V rechargeables in mine, but they measure over 3V too, just not as high as 4.2V.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Good old Lighthound's site has a blurb on RCR123As and it says they are not compatible..bummer. Looking for a rechargeable friend for the rechargeable friend HDS I have coming.

Maybe I should just break down and send Don an e-mail. See what these McLux's are all about.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there are several people who have posted that they enjoyed much improved output with no harm using a 3.6V RCR123 with a Q-3, this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/113686 would be one testimonial that would not.

While I noticed some improved output using a 3.6V RCR123, I currently use the 3.2V(3.0V) RCR123s in my Q3 as their output is about the same as a primary CR123 and that was adequate for my intended use for this light.