Flashlights and vacations/trips

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many flashlights do you take on trips, even short ones? We went for a two night 3 day trip last weekend and I was bored in the eye doctors today, and playing with my new X1 when I counted the ones I took up and was surprised at the number, I thought it fairly impressive.

Inova X1 new style - pocket
MDXL 3 watt - luggage
Photon II (red) - keychain
Inova X03 - emergency daily carry bag
Brinkman 3 LED headlamp - emergency bag
Photon II white - emergency bag
Photon II blue - emergency bag
Photon II blue - wifes keychain
Spyderco Hotaru (has a red led in it) - wifes keychain
RR AAA - wifes purse
RR 3 button cell - wifes purse
Maglite 5 C Cell - Van
Inova X0 - Van

Not bad for a 2 night stay. Its a sickness I tell you...

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Let's see: recent road trip:
SF U2
SF L1
Pila GL3 :)thanks: Jon)
Pila GL4 :)thanks: Topper)
Arc LSL-P
Arc AAA (x3)
Inova X5
Inova 24/7

bunch'a batts

My excuse: we were going to hit some caves on the way back home. Ended up taking a different road! :laughing:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow. . .Last vacation was to Texas and I took:

SureFire 6Z
SureFire G2
SureFire E1e
SureFire E2e
SureFire M2
SureFire M3
SureFire M6
SureFire L2

I did not have the McLux.III.PD or the 3[M]iniMag at the time, otherwise I would!

g36pilot

Enlightened
Gearing up for trip myself. I used that reasoning to order a Jet-I as a primary EDC with 1AA & 123 tubes. After experience with the light I'll decided which batt to EDC. If the 2AA tube is available prior to the trip, I'll have that too.

AA is my standard extended travel/emergency battery power supply. NiMh rechargeables and an equal number of Lithiums are carried. AAs power long duration & emergency lighting, FRS local comm radios, Ham & Air band alkali backup to rechargeable Li-On packs, even a GPS. I'll be bringing a AA fastcharger. A TLE-5 modded AA MiniMag is carried for candle mode room/tent/small area basic lighting.

123s will power our tactical use Sure Fire E2e & E2d which see additional duty as supplemental camera lighting. Because of their small size a QIII and Dorcy Super 1 watt will be packed as well for backup use.

Overkill? No, we visit some interesting locations.

edit to add: extended travel/emergency

Last edited:

chuck4570

Enlightened
Well I always EDC 2 lights to start with, a SF E1e w/Aleph CR2 body, and a SF E2e. For a weekend trip by air, my weekend carryon bag has a SF L1 and a SF A2 in it, and for longer trips by air, my checked baggage has an additional 2 SF G2's in it. When either of these trips are done by vehicle, there is an aditional 3 to 4 lights that are always kept in the truck. This dosn't count the couple of lights that my wife has with her, SF E1e in purse, and SF L1 & L2 in luggage.

Chuck

vinn

Newly Enlightened
Arc AAA P
L1P
Ultra G
Ergo Marine
E1E+KL1+2AA Adapter

I would have brought along a SL Propolymer 4AA Lux, if i had one :(

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
You guys are nuts!

I went to Savannah,Ga last November.

I took a HA type III Mag85, U2, L4, and a HDS U60 XRGT.

I also took my BCD396T BearCat Scanner(The one in my Avatar). :naughty:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminds me of that scene with Rene Russo and Clint Eastwood (Don't recall the name of the film where they are a Secret Service agents.) where they are removing all their equipment.

I try not to get overloaded: Peak Matterhorn 3 LED high power on key chain and HDS U60 in pocket. My camera bag has a Mag Solitaire. I bring 3 spare 123 cells for the HDS. AAA's are findable in the areas I've travelled so far.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I was just away for a week. When I was packing up I kept thinking of more and more possible needs for lights and kept throwing them in my "toy bag". I think I ended up with about ten. Didn't hardly need more than the Arc AAA that's always with me. I played with them all, though. :shakehead

Geoff

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I travel a lot overseas, and have been leaving most of the CR123 gear at home. Been traveling with AA & AAA lights, notably L1P, Gerber Infinity Ultra, and some multi-led chinese jobs with the 3xAAA carrier. Hate the carrier but like the flood, use it to help my digital camera focus-lock in low light situations. Also take a few fauxtons as supplements. However, I will probably take something small with greater throw than the above, perhaps my Maxfire LX with a G&P 3W conversion, even though it uses CR123s.

I like these form factors because alkalines are easy to find. I do take NiMH batteries with a small 120/220 charger. I also like these because they are easy to pack.

paulr

Flashaholic
On keyring: Photon II (white led), Fauxton (red led), Peak Matterhorn 3led ultra.

Pocket: Fenix L1p

In backpack: Princeton Tec Aurora

I was about to say I usually only bring a few small lights, but by most people's standards, 5 lights of any type is quite a lot.

dim

Enlightened
I've always wanted to start a thread like this -
ROAD TRIP!!
There is something about a road trip and traveling that I find energizing - even if it's for business.

Like many things, it just depends...
Which flashlights and the number of them depends upon where I'm going, the circumstances, with whom I'm traveling and for how long.

Of course, my Gerber LX3.0. Its versatility makes the LX3 near perfect for almost any lighting emergency that one may encounter on the road. No worries about CR123s as the LX3 uses 3 AA batts. Not that I don't carry plenty of spare batts and a charger for excursions longer than two days, but the general availability of AA batts is a nice bonus when traveling. My LX3 along with my Gerber Trio make a nice tandem for traveling that covers many lighting situations.

My collection of Dorcy AAAs. The "best of four" for me and the rest for my travel mates should they so be interested. But, sadly, it's usually, "What do I need a flashlight for?". It must be nice to be able to see in the dark.

For those four day weekends and longer trips, I'll pack up my 8 bay Energizer slow charger and my MAG118. It usually doesn't see much use but as overkill as it was, it did come in handy last time when we needed to check on those steaks. As bright as they are, the color from the Luxeon and LEDs just didn't quite cut it.

Because I use a slow charger and have growing collection of NiMH batts, I usually start my flashaholic preparations a few days in advance. But I always seem to do laundry and pack at the last minute. Could it be that I'm a flashaholic?

dim

RigMedic

Newly Enlightened
Three to be exact...

1. Arc AAA on keychain
2. Surefire G2 w/ spare 123's in my duffel
3. Mag 3D in minivan

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
on a normal over night trip I'll take whatever I'm EDC'ing of course, usually 2 or three other LED lights, and a lithium/xenon. Since I keep ordering new lights cuz of this place I'm sure there will be more that show up on my trips :)

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

I work in power plants all over the country, conducting inspections on various items of plant equipment. Because of this, I am constantly traveling.

I always have with me:

Inova Microlight (white) on keychain
Inova Radiant AA in pocket (easy to find batteries)
Brinkmann MaxFire LX in backpack
Pelican SuperSabre 3C (use in the plant, awesome throw)
Streamlight headlamp (Trident I think)

I'm considering a Inova Radiant 2C for extended runtimes with the Luxeon.

The Surefire A2 is calling to me too....

Since this is my first (actually 2nd) post, I guess I'll go ahead and complete the introduction.

I've been into flashlights ever since my dad got me hooked. He has a thing for spotlights, he loves multi-million CP lights.....

I always dealt with sub-par lights because I never really knew where to look. Since I found the CPF, I've gone kinda crazy....

Lights I own:

(above mentioned work lights)
plus
Craftsman UltraBright lantern (around the house outside light, rechargeable)
Craftsman LED toolbox light (4AA version)
Brinkmann 3 LED 3AAA light for car
Mag 4D for car
Various MiniMag's (my car, wife's car)
Target brand 3 MCP spotlight (the dual filament one)

Soon to own:

Surefire A2
Surefire U2
Thor 15MCP spotlight
Fenix L1P or L2P, can't decide which
Inova X5

It's true, it is a sickness.......my wife doesn't understand, but hey, I just tell her "it could be hookers!" :D

Well, I guess that's it, any questions?

dragoman

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest vaycay:

Eternalight with extra batts, in case of extended power outage
EDC Fenix L1P in pocket, with extra batt and charger
EDC Photon on keys
Photon on Mrs. Powernoodle's keys
Mag85, rechargeable Vector spotlight and SL 4AA propoly lux with lithiums in the vehicle.

Seems sorta limited, I must admit, but we somehow made it. :)

cheers

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Oh ya, I am the same way...When it comes to trips, I take em all

M3
HDS
ARC AAA
E2D
L2
G2
C3
And of course 618 attached to 12 gauge when legal.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:laughing: you know? Way back when I was in high school, all I packed for my trips was a minimag (which invariable turned itself on - somehow - inside my pack so when I arrived at my destination, it'd be dead).