Need sage advice

rhein-pfalz

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
Long time lurker,first time poster. Lately I've had a hankering for a multi-Luxeon light. I have been drawn to the Nuwai TM-801X-3 3X3 watt 3-D size. I used the search function and can't come up with much info aside from the 4-c mod.

Is there a reason for the paucity of opinion on this light? Is it a dog? Should I be considering other lights?
Thanks in advance, Rolo.........

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!

Multi-luxeon, huh?? Well, lots of options out there depending on what you want to spend.. have you been to Flashlightreviews.com?? LEDMuseum.com?? Both are great sources of information about a bunch of different lights..

In the meantime, give us as much info as you can about what you want and you'll get some really good recommendations..

metalhed

Enlightened
rhein-pfalz -- I have one of these and can't figure out why folks don't like them.

The initial output (without the 4C cell mod) is quite unimpressive, and this is compounded by some tint issues (usually with LED #2 and #3) if you are picky. The tint of the 'off' LEDs is noticable only when looking directly at the business end of the light. When all three LEDs are lit, the output is a nice clean white.

With the 4 C mod, the light becomes much brighter, although the individual tint differences are still there. Regardless, it's a good light, especially at the prices you can sometimes find these for.

Just my two cents...:whistle:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

rhein-pfalz

Newly Enlightened
It may be sacrilege on this board, but, I don't need the latest super-powered light. I guess the criteria are good side spill, reasonable run time on commonly available batteries, not overly heavy. Oh and under a hundred bucks.

metalhed

Enlightened
rhein-pfalz -- It's not sacrilege, it's just being value concious. Nothing wrong with that.

You might want to check Amondotech's deals on the Nuwai 3x3 watt and the 3x1 watt lights (very top of the page). They both fit your requirement of 'under a hundred bucks.' :D

If you are electrically inclined, you might want to buy two of the 1 watters, and mod one of them with better binned LEDs and better resistoring. Just another thought. :shrug:

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to http://elektrolumens.com/

he builds madifferent multi emitter flashlights which run on common D cells.
Great quality. I will never ever do anything but keep any of my blasters!!
Yaesumofo

rhein-pfalz said:
It may be sacrilege on this board, but, I don't need the latest super-powered light. I guess the criteria are good side spill, reasonable run time on commonly available batteries, not overly heavy. Oh and under a hundred bucks.

rhein-pfalz

Newly Enlightened
The elektrolumens lights certainly look tasty and they touch that 'more is better' part of my anatomy. However, the prices are a bit out of my range. Would love to have one though.

I did have a crazy idea to buy the 3x3 Nuwai and replace the existing emitters with the new K-2's. To anyones knowlege, is this possible?

Thankyou for your help,Rolo