which surefire should i buy?

s.duff

Enlightened
i have been looking at the l4, l5, u2, and considered picking up the l6 head for my m3. the problem is that i cant make up my mind. im not looking for any specific tasks, just looking for a great kick *** light. what do you guys suggest?

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
People are going to tell you, "Buy them all"! But seriously, I have the L4, no regrets. Small, very bright, and no U2 lottery. Don't know much about the L5, but a few posts lately have been less than glowing..no pun intended.

If you get a good U2 you have a nice light and very adaptable, but after trying one out in a store, was too big for me to be an EDC like my L4.

youngcollecter

Newly Enlightened
I think you should get the L2 lumamax because it has dual lumen output and it can put out 100 lumens.:rock:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but it's that icky bezel-up design..eww..

If you really wanted to, you could get an L4 and a McE2S and have a two-stage L4.. or put it on an E1e body and have the TW4, an impressive little light in it's own regard..I'm just a super-huge fan of the KL4, I guess :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
s.duff said:
im not looking for any specific tasks
:awman: you're a party-pooper. This is where I'm supposed to ask you: what are you going to use the light for? and you just hushed me before I could even type. :lolsign:

Great, kick-*** light? ... that'd be the U2, for it's versatility.

If you want similar max brightness in a smaller package, the L4 (you'll end up adding a Mc2es) - you'll have to live with the flood. A lot of light, and throw + use with gun: L5.

s.duff

Enlightened
greenLED said:
:awman: you're a party-pooper. This is where I'm supposed to ask you: what are you going to use the light for? and you just hushed me before I could even type. :lolsign:

Great, kick-*** light? ... that'd be the U2, for it's versatility.

If you want similar max brightness in a smaller package, the L4 (you'll end up adding a Mc2es) - you'll have to live with the flood. A lot of light, and throw + use with gun: L5.

:whistle: sorry. i had to deflect before it came....:grin2:

s.duff

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
oooh, you could wait for the kroma... I think it might be a decent light..

looks pretty promising. as far as the U2 goes, i have heard some of the QC issues mentioned, but how do the older gen models compare to the newer gen models? i have heard gen 2 cannot be powered by rechargeable batts, but im wondering if i did seek one out, would i be better off trying to hunt down an older one or a newer model?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Newer generation U2's have a plastic insert in the body tube. Many people have tried all sorts of things to take out the insert... not all methods work on each one. For some, it pops out very easily with pliers, for others, you need to freeze it or heat it... or combinations of those.

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about checking them out first hand at some local SureFire dealer in your area if possible? If not, then either the SureFire L4 or even the SF.L2 would be fine. The latter is more of a wall of light though. Besides you can always put it up on B/S/T to move on to the next "kick burro" light!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Topper

Flashaholic*
I think if you are happy with the size of the M3 then a KL6 is a great choice.
If you really want a much smaller light that is still great then a L4 with a 2 stage tailcap is the ticket. I hear a lot of good things about the L2 but I some how missed that one...The A2 is a little bigger than the L4 much smaller than the L6 that might be the answer to all your problems. I do like mine but the M4 and M6 remain the go to lights.
Topper :)

Last edited:

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
A great kick *** light - :bow: U2 .............. :naughty:

A small well machined all-round lithium powered variable
projector of bright white photons with functional simplicity.
The beam is well balanced with a good spill and great throw,
a magnificent design, and a tough exterior finish with a
warranty that is one of the best in the business. It can also
use rechargeable Li-ion batteries. I run mine on the Pila 168A
and love it.

seaward

Newly Enlightened
I have a L4 (W/2 stage mod) and a U2 and I prefer the U2 .. I was using the L4 with a Surefire holster, once I found a U2 holster that I like I is now may favorite light and my L4 has been stored without batteries..

s.duff

Enlightened
CHC said:
How about checking them out first hand at some local SureFire dealer in your area if possible? If not, then either the SureFire L4 or even the SF.L2 would be fine. The latter is more of a wall of light though. Besides you can always put it up on B/S/T to move on to the next "kick burro" light!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!
the problem that i see whenever checking out a light at a store or show is that it is never dark enough to really see the light's performance.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least you could handle them and see what it would be like to hold one.. you can find out quite a bit about a beam, even in brightness..

s.duff

Enlightened
ive held them all. but the light performance in dark is what im concerned with most, thanks

a99raptors

Enlightened
Based on the list, go for the U2. I have one and its great in the dark. The beam profile is similar to the L5, so you might as well go for something more functional.

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of the U2, but its bulky size does make it difficult for EDC. If I were you, I would pick up an L4 for my next light. It is a great light in a small package. But, as mentioned above, if you like the size of the M3, then go with the KL6 head for it, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I carry either an E2L or an L4 for an EDC right now.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you pick. Good luck!

Steven
www.tacticalsupply.com - Use the CPF20 coupon code :)