Pacific Impressions

MagLED II

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Pacific on Thursday. Thought I would post my impressions on this light.

- Peak customer service is second to none. I called wondering when the light would be shipped and Robyn was very nice and helpful! She answered all my questions. Very friendly people.
- The light is a lot smaller then I thought it would be. Although not a real keychain light, I believe it can still be used as such. I experimented with replacing the ARC on my keychain with the Pacific with the AAA body. It was a little bulky, but works ok. I will probably get a stainless version for key ring carry.
- Beam Characteristics: the beam has a medium spot + corona. Seems to be a balance between flood and throw to me. I used the light indoors and found it just fine for navigating the house at night. Have not tried out doors yet.
- Output: I do not have any light measuring instruments to take readings. Using the Mark I Eyeball the pacific on an AA or AAA battery is brighter than my .5 watts but not brighter than my one watt lights (Dorcy 3d and SL3AA Tasklight). Using any 3 Volt battery system the light is about 33% brighter. Considering the battery life, I would be shocked if the light was as bright as a one Watt. The Led Museum tested the pacific and gave it an output of 249,000mcd. A first generation Arc LS had a reading 201,000mcd. Not too bad at all. The light has a very usable output.
- Fit and finish: the head fits to the body with zero play in the threads. The head can be turned with one hand easily. There are no marks on the light. There will be with usage, but not from the factory. The LED is centered in the reflector. No defects noted.
- Regulation: this is where the Pacific is interesting. First, it will be 33% brighter with thee Volt battery systems in it. The regulator senses the voltage and adjusts itself. Second, the power to the LED is a balance of runtime and output. 2.4 hours regulation on a AAA NIMH . 8.5 on a AA NIMH. Very nice.

In conclusion a nice regulated light with good output.