Recommend a good charge-in-place light

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll abbreviate charge in place as CIP, which I always have. CIP simply means that the light can be dropped into the cradle and it starts charging automatically. NO fiddling with battery packs or anything like that.

I'm looking for a good CIP light with car charger. Requirements are a minimum 1 hour burn time, preferably 90-120 min, MUST be waterproof (can't pack up and go home just because of a little rain now can I?). 12V input is mandatory. AC charger is optional, in fact, but they usually give one with the package anyway, so it's not a big deal. It would be nice if the lights didn't take 10 hours or so to charge when fully drained.

My definition of waterproof is dunkable. Should be able to drop it in 3 feet of water, fish it out and the light should have no water entry. ALL my Surefires can do this.

LED or incandescent - I'm open to both options at the moment. Brightness, well, let's just say, Lux3 or 60 lumens is a minimum.

Currently the front runner for my project is the Inova T4, except that the T4 is not officially declared as waterproof. This is a big issue. The S always HTF when it's raining and when conditions are sub-optimal. Flashlightreviews.com says splashable though, and O-ring sealed. Am I missing something? Can I deploy this light with the confidence that it will work in driving rain that feels like you're standing under a shower?*

(* been there done it.. standing in three inches of water up to my ankle joints carrying my Canon 350D and two lenses while the rain falling on me felt like I was standing under a shower head.. you can *BET* I was concerned about my assuredly non waterproof camera, fortunately the Domke F-802 is well and truly waterproof when it counts the MOST!)

The MagCharger (stock) is another viable option. It takes 16 hours to fully charge though, which is a pain.

Any good suggestions?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or the tigerlight! or a modified mag charger with a brighter bulb.

Strion is a good light too

CLHC

Flashaholic
Vortex Vision TR3 3W Lux LED or the DR1 and DR2 in answer to Mag Instrument's MagCharger. Very nice torchers these are.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just sold my T4 but I think it would be hard to hurt in the rain. You could easily cover the contacts with your hand, or some kind of plastic if you were really worried. It is really a very nice light over all, I just didn't use it enough and needed the money.

Full submersion is another story though- I wouldn't want to risk it.

Flakey

Enlightened
how about a magcharger with a frosted Wa1160 bipin bulb? But in reality it sounds like what you really want is a 10Xdominator from surefire ...... sorry to say it.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the TIgerlight a lot. Easy to use, powerful, and good runtime.

WHat avout the Surefire L7? It comes with AC and DC charger, runs for 1 hour on peak brightness, granted the battery is old tech but does the job nevertheless.

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
I have used the T4 on some horrible days when it's raining so hard it's like having a bucket of water thrown over you, and have also fished it out of a very wet pocket when it was sat in water, all with no problems at all. Hope this is some help.

atm

Enlightened
According to the Inova site "T4 rechargeable is not water resistant".
Shame, because Batterystation has them on special for CPF members at $85...

Andrew

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
what kinda use will you be using it for every night? What I mean is.. I use the MC 60 for spotting addresses while delivering pizza, only maybe 10 seconds at a time.. one fully charged pack lasts me for over a week. and I carry a second charged pack in my glove compartment. If your using it intermittentlay, the MC 60 might be a decent choice. Low cost for what you get, and the $5 1160 makes a WORLD of difference.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between those two, in addition to the Strion, you might also want to consider the SL Stinger with the Fast Charger. Both of those can be charged to full capacity in about 2.5 hours and will output more light than most if not all of the 2 CR123 lights. The Stinger is kind of old technology and a bit larger (albeit much smaller than a Mag Charger); it also has a proven track record to withstand abuse in the public safety arena.

KevinL said:
Currently the front runner for my project is the Inova T4,

The MagCharger (stock) is another viable option. It takes 16 hours to fully charge though, which is a pain.

Any good suggestions?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all who replied about the T4's water resistance. Guess I'll have to test this in the field and rely on my U2 should the T4 fail (which will always be at the worst possible moment given my bad luck)

What do I need the light for.. I must sound like the biggest dumba55 on CPF for saying this, but I don't know ahead of time. Whatever s$#t life throws my way, I guess :(

Surefire L7 is nice, but requires removable battery pack - not a CIP capable light unless I'm totally mistaken (then I'm so totally going to buy the L7!). If it's not CIP capable, I have lots of other nice little lights that can double as rechargeables with lithium ion packs.

10X Dominator - agreed Surefire lights have a special appeal of their own as well as the reliability I know and love them for. I may have to seriously think about it.

Tigerlight - nice, but slow charger broke the deal.

SL Stinger with fast charger sounds good. Prefer LED in its power class because there is no bulb to break.

Vortex TR5 - GREAT recommendation! Looks good to me because it's a LuxV - my favorite LED, but the Vortex website receives a failing grade. Think I'll have to look at some reviews to get a better idea.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED lights, including the Luxeons, seem to have enough run time on primary batteries that it may not warrant a rechargeable model. Lights like the Mag Charger, and the Streamlight rechargeables, use very high current draw bulbs that produce very intense levels of output for relatively short periods (60-90 minutes rather than 5-10 hours that you might get in a conventional C or D cell light). If it's high output and throw that you want, you'll still be better served with an incandescent light; if you're willing to compromise on the output and throw levels, then perhaps a LED Luxeon light might suit your purpose.

And for LEDs, if you're willing to consider something the size of a Mag Charger, you might want to try out one of the LEDBeam 3Cs. If your usage is going to be rough (like industrial or public safety usage), the LEDBeam may be too flimsy, but for photographic use, it may be suitable (uses C cells, no charger). It's one of the higher output production LED lights at the moment, but it still won't be comparable to the output that you would get from one of the high current rechargeable incandescents.

KevinL said:
SL Stinger with fast charger sounds good. Prefer LED in its power class because there is no bulb to break.

CLHC

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
Vortex TR5 - GREAT recommendation! Looks good to me because it's a LuxV - my favorite LED, but the Vortex website receives a failing grade. Think I'll have to look at some reviews to get a better idea.
I got an email from Vortex saying that they have discountinued the TR-5 since the TR-3 outperforms the TR-5.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Keltec said:
I didn't find anything about beeing waterproof on Streamlight Strion specification page. It is probably waterresistant to some degree, but I don't think is is waterproof. Tailcap may be a problem here.

The tailcap is definitly the Achilles heel of the Strion when it comes to water. It is a two piece set-up, with the button being a plastic piston that simply slides out of the aluminum end that it sits in. There is an o-ring on the piston, but the one in mine makes minimal contact with the aluminum sleeve.

I just did a simple test with it by setting the tailcap assembly on a paper towel, and dripped water onto the top of it to see how long it took for the water to seep through to where the battery would be. It only lasted about 15 seconds before the water went in. In torential rain, there's no question water will kill the light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for confirming the Strion's water-resistance status, especially at the risk of your own light. :thumbsup:

Interesting UK rechargeable system there.

LED lights on rechargeables - actually I want this for convenience, I want a light that is always topped up and ready to go. Probably for field use, for photos I have my 430EX flash. I carry a U2, EDC.

Vortex - ouch! A 3W Lux can outperform a 5W? Something tells me the 5 is not being driven properly, or there are other reasons. I've built so many 3 and 5W mods over the last couple of years.. 5W most overwhelmingly stomps the 3, except when it's 3x3W like my Mag3X. Three Lux3 whites with SO20XA reflectors!

Magcharger sounds good, especially with the MC60 mod. It's the second candidate on my list. Short runtime.. I guess that is a compromise. Will probably get my U2 to back it up for LED usage. The only problem is wiring a vehicle 12V socket to be always-on.. now that's a mod that's beyond me.