Surefire: "AA light by the end of 2006"

mykall

Enlightened
:thinking: Hmmm...I'm curious are you?

Sure is interesting to hear that out of the horse's mouth since I was certain that SF wouldn't break from 123.

MB

BBL

Enlightened
mykall said:
Surefire: "AA light by the end of 2006"
was that a question or a statement? do you have any information about a SF AA light?

mykall

Enlightened
BBL said:
was that a question or a statement? do you have any information about a SF AA light?

What is in quotes in the title is essentially all I got from SF C.S.
regarding a coming AA light. They wouldn't elaborate.

MB

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice....

Of course if you are lying there will be a lynching party headed your way, MB.

;)

(you just can't joke about things like this, next thing you know you are gonna tell me that BMW is introducing a line of Electric vehicles).

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
270winchester said:
Nice....

Of course if you are lying there will be a lynching party headed your way, MB.

;)

(you just can't joke about things like this, next thing you know you are gonna tell me that BMW is introducing a line of Electric vehicles).

you'll probably get 80 jeers threads too :p(79 of which would be closed be sigman, empath, kiessling, or darel, or another administrator or moderator whom i forgot). Just don't tell us something along the lines of oil fields blowing up because of global warming (not that it couldn't happen :duh2: in the near future, provided that there would be any oil left...that was a bit off topic)

igabo

Enlightened
Well they might have a greater market now.. Before I was a flashaholic, but when I still knew about Surefire, I said I'd never buy one because of the cost of 123A's.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
igabo said:
Before I was a flashaholic, but when I still knew about Surefire, I said I'd never buy one because of the cost of 123A's.

That's interesting. I found this forum because I was looking for 123A lights. The Air Force is moving me to North Dakota in July and I knew I needed the lithium batteries for cold-weather car emergency kits and for use when I was on the flightline.

All my old "regular" flashlights (Mags and Princetons) are NiMH rechargeables and sure don't comapre to the CR123As in any way. It will be interesting to see if SF comes out with something like that.

Nubo

Enlightened
IMO, with DC regulation, battery criteria become power density by volume, cost per hour, and shelf-life. NiMH AA beat the socks off CR123 in all but the last. With the advent of low self-discharge NiMH there wouldn't be much point to CR123. Regulation is the key.

mykall

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
I'd find it really hard to believe that SF would consider introducing an AA-based light. It goes against their business model.

It sure does seem hard to believe that Surefire would digress from 123, but I don't think it goes against their business model. They're in the flashlight (sorry I meant "illumination tools" ) business. Selling hair dryers would be an example of going against their business model.

MB

roguesw

Enlightened
Wait, surefire time projection, end of 2006,
surefire time = normal time x 1.5 factor = probably 2007
lol
des

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the whole SHOT show thing I heard several CPFers say that SF had talking about coming out with an AA light. No reason to doubt it.

Although the way SF is working these days "end of 2006" might be like Mag's "early 2006" for the LEDs. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I wonder if CS was referring to the L4-like prototype that PK was showing off at SHOT Show '06? What I heard about it was that it had a telescoping body that was capable of accepting 2x123, 3x123, and 2xAA. Or maybe CS was referring to an AA version of the Ti "pocket rocket" that we haven't seen? I hope it's the latter since the "pocket rocket" is more interesting to me.

mykall

Enlightened
Speculate all you like but here is what I got verbatim. I've removed the phone number because I've just got a feeling that leaving it in might very well trip the ever-so-sensative-these-days "CLOSED THREAD" button.

Here it is:

Sir,
Surefire will have a light out by the end of 2006 that will use the
AA batteries, no other information is currently available. If you
have any further questions please call us at_________. SureFire
strives to provide World class customer service to all of our
customers.
SureFire technical supportMB

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
They're just 1 stp away from a AAA lux, which is comparatively speaking the frontier of luxeon lights (note that only modders, peak, tnc, and fenix have ever made these lights)

Latest posts