Need your input! I may have a problem...I think I need LESS lumens

pbs357

Enlightened
I think there's something wrong with me guys... I'm anxiously deciding on a 2D Mag 1150 or standard-issue Mag85, I love my 4x123 12v Ultrafire, I have my G2 set up with 2xrcr123's and a 9v D26 lamp, and I EDC my Golston light (one of the really bright, "good" ones). But it seems I may need less light?!?!? - Strangely, these setups can bee "too bright" for in-car map reading and certainly the movies (although I did blast a couple of hecklers while watching V for Vendetta who yelled at me to shut up after several of us shusshed them...and yes, I do think that's the last time they'll EVER do that).

My minimag with TLE-5 is a good close range flooder, but it's big, in my opinion for it's output. Any other suggestions - what do you guys do for indoors/close range lighting? Maybe a 1 cell light, or maybe a 2 stage tailcap - where would I get those anyways? Thanks in advance, I appreciate the input.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need your input! I may have a problem...

Uhm, if I understand you correctly...
1x AA:
Inova X1 new style.
Peak Kilimanjaro, or for more output, Kino Bay
Fenix L1P w/ 2-stage mod

1x CR123:
Peak McKinley
Q3 two stage switch
Nuwai ALX2611
Techtite Splashlight - very long life

CR2:
Jil DD - long life

High End:
HDS EDC B42 - has four levels
Jil Intelli
FireFly

There are of course a lot more, but I don't more detail about your requirements, so I listed some I like, most of which I have.

SCblur

Enlightened

I would endorse the new style Inova X1. Very compact, and as bright as a SF A2 on low. About eight hours of runtime to 50% if I remember correctly, and semi-regulated. Great bargain for $20, and perfect for map reading and such. I also have a SF E1L that I like, but it has a considerably brighter beam, and you would need a beamshaper to diffuse it for maps. Only about two hours of runtime, and bigger than the X1.

Edit: you can find the X1 at Target. Just make sure you get the new one w/ the reflector and not the optics. If you look into the bezel and can see the LED, then it's the new one. The old one puts out a very tight spot of light w/ limited uses.

pbs357

Enlightened

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll check out an Inova, and probably get a Q3 too (in honor of the CPF way...buy them all/both). Now, just to add more options, where can I get 2 stage tailcaps?

carrot

Flashaholic
I use the Inova X5 or Surefire A2 for low output. I use the Fenix with a 10Ω dual stage tailcap, but the low mode seems a little too low for me.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Milkyspit still does the Q3 two stage switch mod and I have seen switches on Litemania recently.
Search the forums for mod instructions if you are at all adept at soldering small things.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a map reading light, one of the Dorcy AA lights (1 or 2 cell) or a Mini Mag with a Nite Ize LED module work well without destroying your night vision. As a matter of fact the Mini Mag/Nite Ize combo is pretty much at the limit for my tastes. They all produce a decent flood without a too-bright hotspot blinding you and they're cheap enough that you could leave one in each car. If size is an issue, the 1AA Dorcy would probably suit your needs, and more than adequate for use in a theater if you needed some discreet lighting. If you need to project a beam of any kind, the River Rock 2AAA or it's Nuwai version might be another one to consider.

While it's a bit of an overkill in my opinion, if you need something really bright, a SL ProPoly AA 7LED or the 3C 10 LED is very bright for this purpose.

pbs357 said:
My minimag with TLE-5 is a good close range flooder, but it's big, in my opinion for it's output. Any other suggestions - what do you guys do for indoors/close range lighting? Maybe a 1 cell light, or maybe a 2 stage tailcap - where would I get those anyways? Thanks in advance, I appreciate the input.

Flakey

Enlightened
i love my u2 for this use, 2 lumens all the way up to 100, may be a bit pricey, but at least this way i only have to hold one light, not 2 (most of the time =P)

wwglen

Enlightened
My preference is the L1P with the 2-Stage switch.

In comparison to the Q-III.

1. About $10 more
2. Smaller
3. Easy to do 2-stage switch ($0.50 - $1.00) for the resistors vs $10-$20 for the 2 stage Q-III mod.
4. Almost as bright with standard NiMH AA's as the Q-III on NON rechargable 123's
5. Longer run time

I got rid of my Q-III with 2-stage switch and Singel AA adaptor after I got my L1P.

wwglen